• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question from lurkers

I interviewed some folks today who are looking for enough pike action within a reasonable distance of Idlewood to keep the kids interested. They aren't registered on FM so I told them I'd post the question and they will check for replies.

Quite frankly I don't have any good ideas to offer on this one.

Hey Uffda,

Not sure how far they would like to travel, but Jackfish will hold some pike in the back bay. Most will be of the smaller variety this time of year though. If they troll they will likely get a mixture of eyes and pike, and it will be relatively easy for the kids. Troll a number 7 size rap in perch colors.

RD

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, that's the way MY group fishes. So trolling cranks is kid stuff? Just kidding, we realize it's way easier than pinpointing reef fish with Lindy rigs...we just don't have the boat control skills you guys do. Plus we fish 3-4 guys per boat so there are fewer tangles our way.

Question: does anyone have the In-Fishreman DVD call Summer Pike Tactics (or something like that)? I think I recognized the power lines in the background, as if they were fishing Sand Bay, or Jackfish, or American Narrows.

Anyway, the tactic was easy for kids. 1-ounce jigs with 6-inch Reapers or grubs, banged on the bottom (vertically)in 25-30 FOW near a submerged rockpile. Sounds like the pile just north of bouy #4 on the north side of Amer. Narrows.

Tips: use med/heavy rods at least, and strap the kids to the boat 'coz there's some pigs down there!

Brad from Chicago

Hey guys,

I'm the cheesehead that you talked to at Idlewood Uffda. I posted a few questions two years ago but recently have just been reading. I lost my user ID and password, too lazy to sign up again until now. Mizefish, funny you mentioned that In-Fisherman episode. I actually watched that on TV and have always wanted to try it. I told my son about it but we started catching too dang many walleyes to worry about it. We were up the last full week of June. It seemed like more fish were moving to the reefs during the week, in fact we had a couple large pike try to rob us of a couple eater walleyes by weeks end. I would rather stay put in the U.S. and catch some pike than go through the effort of going into Canada. I fish walleyes 90% of the time anyway and most of the time I never have to leave Sand Bay to get my fish. Next year I'll try it out on the reefs. Would be fun to land some jumbo pike.

On a side note to anyone reading this forum. I was talking with the gentleman at Sportsmans Headquarters and he was saying that business was way down. Not sure if it is because of gas prices. But I have to say that people who are not going to Rainy are really missing out. We had the best fishing we've ever had. Big fish, eater fish, lots of fish, you name it. People are willing to spend $40k on a boat but then are afraid to spend another $50 in gas to fish some of the best walleye waters in the world. Can't figure that one out.

Thanks Uffda for posting my question. I should post some of our pictures from the trip. I had a pretty happy 11 year old who finally realized how to use a Lindy rig. Once he landed his first 24" he was hooked.

Cheddar

Cheddarhead - Glad you had a good trip.

This forum has some of the most knowledgeable and passionate folks of any on the site. My customer service backround kind of drives my desire to help others here and if I don't have answers or at least opinions there are plenty of other regulars on here who will pick up the slack.