• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tmvikings

Leeches-Keeping them alive longer!

tmvikings

Besides keeping them in fridge and changing the water as often as one should, is there another way to get them to last longer and be more active? I like to buy in bulk. grin.gif

Sandmannd

I've got a 20 gallon aquarium I got at a garage sale for 10 bucks. Usually throw my extra minnows in there. Went to Mille Lacs and bought a half pound of leeches. I threw what was left in there. Not sure how long they will last though, is there something you have to feed them?

Farmboy1

I know a guy who puts them in a mesh bag, and then tucks it in the back tank of the toilet. He says every flush is fresh water for the leeches. He keeps them for months at a time.

He did say his wife made him put them in the "second" bathroom grin.gif

tmvikings

My wife would kill me! I would have to sneak that one bye her.

snowgoose

I tried leech bedding last year with some really good success. I bought my bedding at Fleet Farm. Pretty easy to use. One pound of bedding to a a cup or two of distilled water. I really don't remember the amount of water.

I kept mine in the fridge for over two months in a plastic coffee can with holes in the top and never lost a leech.

My fridge is set at about 36 degrees.

I do have to tell you my neighbor did not have the same success. He kept his for about a month and they were starting to go bad. I know he keeps his fridge on the brink of freezing to keep the beverages cold.

I have anougher friend that told me he had kept his leeches from Memorial Day to the end of September without loosing any.

Give it a try. You can buy 4 pounds of the beddinng for around $10.00 and you don't have to change water all summer long.

fivebucks

I've used the leech bedding for the past 2 seasons and have kept them for a couple of months with minimal loss. I love the stuff.

archer59

Quote:

I know a guy who puts them in a mesh bag, and then tucks it in the back tank of the toilet. He says every flush is fresh water for the leeches. He keeps them for months at a time.

He did say his wife made him put them in the "second" bathroom
grin.gif

As off the wall as that sounds .. that would be a great idea at the cabin.

The women don't like to move bait out of the way to get something out of the fridge. grin.gif We need to keep them leeches on the beer shelf. Nevermind ... they'd still have to move em.

Norco

Leeches can be kept all summer long with no problems as long as they are stored properly.

I change my water at least every day or 2 and keep them in a leech bag. I heard from a expert bait guy that leeches need to rub the slime off their bodies to stay healthy. They do this in the wild with gravel, weeds...ect and the leech bag seems to act in the same matter.

Ive tried the bedding products and th eleeches seem to loose their size and are not as active vs storage in water with no chemicals. Tap water will slowly zap their strenght, size and eventually kill them.

Cheers!!

HaywardBound

Quote:

I have anougher friend that told me he had kept his leeches from Memorial Day to the end of September without loosing any.

Snowgoose, your buddy has to get out fishing more!

I like the toilet idea. I put leeches in my bait tank in the garage with my bullheads. Unfortunately my bait ate my bait... smirk.gif

PierBridge

Quote:

He did say his wife made him put them in the "second" bathroom
grin.gif

grin.gif

Mr. Nailz

I you want to feed them go to the butcher and get a chunk of liver and throw in with them. Be advised that once they eat the tank gets dirty much faster.