• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gervais report

Yeah there's a creek it runs under 61 to a dam which controlls the level in Phalen, Keller,Spoon,Gervais and Kohlman. If I remember correctly Phalen is a man made lake and Gervais is the only natural spring fed lake of the group.They open the Dam when the levels in Phalen drop. All these lakes are also connected to the Rice Creek watershed. With the fluctuation in the lake it almost like fishing a resivoir down south. I can put my dock in and leave 2'-4' out of the water. After a good rain (usually within 24 hours) it rises to the top of the dock, then within 48 hours be almost back to normal
------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

[This message has been edited by addicted (edited 01-13-2003).]

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Pike1

• G_man

• jwilli7122

• SpikeRoberts

I was on Gervis Sunday afternoon for a short while. Got some nice perch and that was it. Tired quickly of fighting the wind. I was amazed to see a guy pull a nice channel cat up. Had to be 3 or 4 pounds. That was a first for me. Anyone ever heard of these lake holding Cats?

Addicted,
you're right about the connection and the direction of the flow, but all of the lakes are natural and Phalen is definately spring fed. After reading your post though, I realized that it may me tough for cats to move from Phalen to Keller -- they'd have to breach the dam and I don't think that cats jump like salmon. wink.gif The conncetion from Keller to Gervais, however, is unimpeded -- just a straight shot under HWY 36 through Spoon Lake.

I drove around Gervais yesterday. It appears the only access is the beach. That point on the east side looks like it would be a great spot to find the eyes.

Has anyone tried the top or bottom edges of this point during prime bite time?

I think I may walk out there from the beach wednesday afternoon.

If you see a blue fish trap out by that black permanent, that'll be me.

Metrojoe, you can go out from the beach or you could park right by where Kohlman and Garvais connect. You need to park on the street just across from this entrance and can walk to the point from there. I think this might be a shorter walk then from the beach side of the lake. Concerning the point you mention. I have fished this during the summer and had success for bass, pike, walleye, and some sunfish. The point drops off to 40+ feet with lots of structure to be found. There is a nice weedline and rock pile there as well. I have not personally fished this at prime time of 3-7 during the winter but believe this would be the best spot on the lake. The deep water for the crappies and move up to a break line at dusk for walleyes. Please give a report from you Wed night venture. Good Luck....

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 01-15-2003).]

Well, no luck with the wallys. I fished until about 6ish(pm).

I had been fishing about an hour or so and decided to stand up for a stretch. As I'm looking around the lake to see how many other guys are out fishing, I happen to look down to see my rod almost bent in half. I scramble to grab the rod and the line just starts peeling out. After about 3 minutes of give and take I finally land a 26" musky. I wasn't even aware there were musky in Gervais. I didn't catch anything else except a half dozen or so perch. Are the perch carrying eggs now? They sure were fat for their size.

I've been real hesitant to take to many perch because it seems like every one I have cleaned this year is full of eggs.

metrojoe, They do stock muskies if the lake. Early ice someone got a 46" Musky on a tip up. I had a similiar experience. I had just cuaght a comple of small walleyes and it was just at dusk and I got clubbed. I was fishing with 2 or 4 lb test line and a rod that bent like a willow stick. I fought the beast for 10-15 minutes hoping it would be a huge eye. It ended up being a 5+ lb pike. Good fun though. I assume you were on the point. Was anyone else there?

G-man, don't be to hesitant as this lake has a very very healthy supply of perch and a few 7-9 inch eaters here and there should not hurt this fishery.

Full size trucks are out on the ice on the beach side. There also is going to be softball tourney on the ice this weekend on the beach side...

Any fishing reports from this weekend? Was anyone fishing the lake or did you see anyone out there?

G-man, I fished the Horseshoe chain on Saturday and did not get out on Garvais this weekend. I did however drive by to check out if anyone was on the water. There were 4 full size truck on the ice by the permanent shacks on the shoreline just across from the beach. Hopefully someone will be giving a report. I have Monday off for the holiday and will be going for a couple of hours at dusk provided the winds are down.

Anyone have a report ?

Fished the breakline across from the beach for a couple hours friday night. I caught a mess of smaller perch before sundown and two small crappies after. Not much of anything on the flasher. All on a small genz jig and maggots. Gervais was a good crappie lake several years ago but I think the excessive fishing pressure it got three years ago really hurt the crappie population. You can still catch em but nothing like it was. I remember there was a healthy sunny population in there at one time also, I used to go down to the spoon in the spring and hammer um, some good size fish too. Anyone catching any sunnies out there?

Hornhunter, I mostly fish Mille acs but since I bought a home in Maplewood with my fiance I have targeted Garvais as close to home body of water to learn and explore. I caught some nice sunnies in Garvais during the summer when we first moved to this area. I have only heard from one person that did good this winter on the crappies. He got into a nice school of them in the 9-12" range. He was fishing across from the beach by the brown permy on the side you were fishing and fishing the break. I have not personaly caught any sunfish or crappie during the winter. I have caught many perch (some up to 9"), walleyes (the largest being 15"), northerns (the largest being a little over 5 lbs), and have seen muskies caught over by the weedline where Garvais meets Kohlman (the largest being 42"). That whole bay by the beach seems to hold a lot of fish. I find the walleyes, notherns, perch, and musky all seem to be just of the weedline 8-12 feet. I also have had some success with Walleyes on the deep side of the bar by Kohlman lake and have heard reports of 17-25" walleyes being caught in that area and the rock pile by the big point, but have not seen or caught them to confirm. The other local lake I wish to learn and explore during the summer due to its close proximity is Bald Eagle as this lake is loaded with structure and I am sure it holds a very, very healthy supply of large walleyes.

Istopped out to gervais today after trying my luck on white bear. Between the two of us, I caught one small perch, and my buddy missed bout two hits, pretty slow. I'm taking into consideration tha it was 1 pm so I'm not thinkin that was the best time.

Where were you fishing? During the day, the perch on the lake don't seem too finicky. The 6"-7" gals are pretty hungry right now and if you are in a spot, they are biting.

Mr. Pike, are you planning on getting out this weekend? I'm probably going to fish Sat morning and would be willing to try a few spots. Sunday morning will depend on how Sat goes.

G-man, we are planning on going to St. Cloud to fish the shoe on Saturday. Last time up we got a few and Chemist was up there and had some success as well. You would certainly be welcome to join us. Sunday I may be available to in the morning/afternoon before the Superbowl.

Thanks for the interesting offer but I think I'll stick around here. I want to go fishing in the morning and then get a couple things done around the house and maybe fish the evening too. I'm probably open for Sunday morning too. I check in on Sat night for sure to see how you guys did. Good Luck.

Gman, I was fishing on the east side of the brown shack out from the beach. Thats where I was told might be the spot. We didnt put a whole lot of time in either. Ya say the bite is good anytime of day huh? I might have been presenting wrong, tried waxies and crappies with not much action.

G-man, My fiance is working on Sunday so I can not devote a day away on Saturday to St. Cloud either. I may try to get out on Sat morning but my best success for larger perch, pike, musky, and Eyes has been the 3-7 run. I have had great success at 3ish for the pike/musky mixed with larger perch and then the walleye bite is usually 4:30 or later. I still have not caught any winter crappies but that is because I fish the weediline in 8-12 feet. So long story short. I will swing by the lake in the morning and if I see you out there I may stop by and wet a line. I definatly plan on a couple of hours in the evening and perhaps Sunday. Hopefully see you on the water.

* How early wiil you be there on Sat. I am less then a mile from the lake.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 01-24-2003).]

I ended up fishing until 9:30pm on Friday night and ended up using most of my minnows, maggots and propane. I'm going to stock up, run a few errands and be out on G by 3 or 4pm. I'll park by the SE corner or by Kohlman.

Along the north side of Hwy 36, just east of 35E off of Edgerton Ave. Check a map in this location and you can't miss it.

G-man, I did an early morning run, ran out of propane in the heater and then a couple of hours in mid afternoon. The bite was not good. Saw fish on the vex but not a lot of biters. The only real excitement was I put a tip up with a monster shinner on it that got clubbed. I happen to be looking out of the shack saw the flag go up and line run but the fish ripped off the bait and was gone when I went to set the hook. Evening plans changed so I most likely will not get down there tonight so file a report.

G-man, I did get back in the evening but not until after 5:00. I did not see your truck by Kohlman but saw a blue shack off the point that I believe might have been yours but did not have the energy or time to drag my shack and sled out there. The evening bite was better then the morning and afternoon but still slow. How did you do?

Anyone else have a report?