• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gervais report

Was out with a buddy from 8:15am - 11:45am. We took home about 15 perch (caught about 30). Fished in about 15' of water with small jigs and crappie minnows. Couldn't get a bite on tip-ups with fatheads.

Not big, but had alot of fun!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Pike1

• G_man

• jwilli7122

• SpikeRoberts

G Man, how large were the perch. I was on the lake with my dog today to check out the bite and I saw several guys getting 8-10 perch....The Walleye bite has been good as well from 4-8 p.m...Do you live in the area I live with in a mile of this lake and love to get out for a few hours and nail the perch and walleyes on this little pond.

Mr. Pike,
Nice to hear you're picking up some Eyes on Gervais. My brother in law lives on the south side of the lake, right on that bar. Could this be the spot? I have been wanting to get out there, hard to find time. Hope to get out this week with the Holiday. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks in advance for any tips.
DT

The perch we caught were typically 8-9". I talked to a guy with a house out there and he said the size range we caught were basically very typical of what comes out of the lake. We caught a couple that were a few inches bigger.

I have never fished this lake i wanna try it. I live a couple miles away. I was out there with my dad and dog tossing the throw toy for the dog, so i tapped a couple holes in search of fish but came up nothing on the vexilar. I was on the south side of the lake buy the Beach. I saw alot of houses on the northeast side. any tips on where to go!

where do you walk on the ice at gervais? i can only think of the park/access on spoon lake... is there a better spot to get onto gervais? thanks for the help.

------------------
someone was smoking newport cigerettes on my spot.

I think there is a beach on the southwest side of the lake (Ramsey County Parks). I would not use the spoon access to get to gervais (possible open water/thin ice under the bridge).

From the Spoon access (North of 36) go north towards gervais. Take a left at the stop sign (you should be looking north towards gervais). Follow 'til you hit astop sign, take a right. The beach/park is on your right about 1/2 mile(can't miss it). Sorry I don't have road names, but its pretty simple... Good Luck!

The Beach access is on Edgerton between 36 and Little Cananda Rd. You can access the NE side through a right of way next to the bridge over the channel that runs to Kohlman.

just to clarify, I referring to foot traffic only access at the kohlman channel, thanks for pointing that out addicted.

thanks for the advice, all. appreciate the help. i've heard of decent walleyes coming out of gervais in years past. figure it would be a nice place to hit after work some night. (how is the night bite?). thanks again.

------------------
someone was smoking newport cigerettes on my spot.

I will most likely be getting out on this body of water on New Years day early in the morning or perhaps a 3-6 evening run as the lake is just a mile away. I will update any success I have. If anyone happens on the lake that day in the morning or evening I will be in a Shapell ice house. There will be a red sled with a laser mag ice auger on it in front of my shack. Stop in and say hi

Be carefull around the bridges of both kohlman and spoon on Gervais I've had to help pull more than 1 person out of these areas. Access is at the beach off edgerton. Looks like North end guys are able to walk on only!

Hey unclejake, lets give this lake a shot here in the near future. It's pretty close so an after work adventure is a possibility.

I accessed the lake from the east side. If you are on the road that travels parallel to the east shore, you will come to a stop sign @ Co Rd C. Go 100' or so north and you will cross a bridge. Go around a little bend or two and you will see a small cul-de-sac. Park on the side of the road in the cul-de-sac. There is no-parking on each side of the road that parallels the lake. The little bridge I was talking about is over a feeder creek. The ice is so clear that you can see the weedline. Fish anywhere along there. You'll probably see a ton of old holes out there.

Well, I went back out to Gervais again this morning about 8:30am and stayed til about 1pm. Ended up with my limit in perch but it took awhile to get the last few. Don't get too excited because they are mainly 7-9", but the action keeps you busy most of the time. Probably caught double the amount of fish total. Wish the 'eyes would show up, but no luck with them yet.

G-man. It was nice to meet you out on lake and put a face to the post. After I left I did go get my shack and picked up some bait. I got out there about 2:00 and there were a lot of people where you were fishing so I went to the South side of the lake out from the beach. There is a very nice finger like bar over there. I caught a ton of 7-11" perch in 17'of water on colored wax worms. While I was out there I spoke with a guy that lives on the lake and he told that the area I was in he has caught many walleyes. There also is a point just across from were I was fishing that some guys caught nice 12" crappies and some eyes. I left at 6:00 and did not get any eyes...I will be fishing the point across from the beach next trip out...Does anyone else have a report...

Sounds like there are some other spots in the lake to hunt out. It would be nice to catch a mixed bag of fish out there. I think I'll be planning a trip out to there again this weekend.

G-man. Check out the post by Alphid under St. Could lakes Horse Shoe Chain. This is where we may go next Saturday. I notice you had questions on an ice house. I have a shapell. It sells at fleet for under 200.00. The positive is it is light weight and you can easily move it across the ice. I put my gear in a seperate sled and pull it with the house. You can also bungie the house to a sled with all you gear and pull it out that way as well. Since I live only a mile from Garvais I am going to try to get out on Sunday afternoon before dusk. The perch were much bigger twords dusk and my hope is that I can get out at 3:00 catch some nice perch for a few hours and then catch crappie and walleye.

Mr Pike1 and Gman,
I am alphid's brother. we are planning on going up to horseshoe on saturday as well with another FM Member, Mykal. Wouldn't mind meeting up with you guys either if you are interested. We did pretty good there in the two times we went, check the horseshoe link for more. Later
Catchin

Catchawhopper, Mykal is my best friend and the guy I do most of my summer and winter fishin with. We met Alphid and his friend at Mille acs a couple of times this winter and got limited walleye action as the big pond has been kind of slow. I will be speaking with him concerning this weekends fishing plans...and with the fiance to see if I can get out for a whole day...

Mr.Pike1,
Funny, small world. I have been talking with Mykhal already. He seems to be game for it. Looks like we are going to have a mini-FM party this weekend. better bring the gtrill Catchin'.
A

I will have the grill sounds like a good time! Yep its a small world!!

Guys, I got the okay from the fiance to go on Saturday. I am also going to see if Andy can meet us there as well for some cats and some eyes on cut bait. I told Kristen we would leave at 12:00 or later for a night run. Let me know what I should bring, pop, chips, brats for the grill...Just let me know. Maybe would should make Andy bring New York strip for the boys...This lake is by St. Cloud correct?

As much fun as it sounds like getting together with some members, I think I'll stay around this area. Maybe explore Gervais some more. I really appreciate the offer though.

G-man, if you get out to Garvais give me the report. I may go out Sunday for a couple of hours from 4-6 pm. I would recomend that you try going out from the beach on the south side. The perch were good size later in the day. At about 3:00 they were mostly 6-8" from 4:00 on they were more in the 8-11" class. Walk out from the beach and go to the left you will see all the holes from were guys have been fishing. If you feel energetic go across the lake to the point that sticks out (it is less then a 1/4 mile walk) as that is were there is a 20 foot hole which holds crappies in the 12" class and there is also a rock pile over there that comes up to 5 feet and there is suppose to be walleyes there on the break. I can not confirm the walleye spot first hand as I have not caught them there however that is were locals say 25" eyes have been caught in past years...Good Luck !!! We will post the St. Cloud report. Aside from the large cats up to 15 lbs that they caught last weekend several nice walleyes were caught as well.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 01-02-2003).]

Mr. Pike 1 -

Hitting the lake this afternoon and into the evening. When you talk about the "point across from the beach", are you talking about the point directly east of the beach or the one to the northeast of the beach? I'm thinking NE because that is the one with the shallow rocks. The one directly east of the beach has one permanent house along the shore but I think that break drops quickly from the shore down to 30ft. Any tips woould be appreciated.

The Spook

[This message has been edited by Zaraspooks (edited 01-03-2003).]

Spook, yes the NE point just across from the beach access. Please give a report of your success. I am going to fish the St. cloud area on Saturday but hope to go out for a couple of hours on Sunday evening. As I have mentioned in prior posts I live so close to the lake I am going to try a different spot each time out until I find that dream walleye honey hole.

I was able to print a 36" x 24" version of the MN DNR map from the internet (free). I wish I had a really good map with GPS coordinates on it because at work I have some phenomenal printing capabilities.

G_Man, where did you go to get the map I was looking for a map on a different lake on the net.

Thanks