• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gervais report

I'm going to be out on Gervais on Saturday morning. Anyone else know they are gonna be fishin?

I'm looking forward to it, hope I don't get blown off of the lake.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Pike1

• G_man

• jwilli7122

• SpikeRoberts

G-man, I have to go into the office on Saturday but may stop by the lake on the way in to check out your new shack. If you ever have the opportunity I would strongly recommend that you try a 4-6 evening run if your are looking for Walleye or crappie...

I'll probably get out there early and then late. Look for my truck to see where I went out. Blue Chevy Silverado - License plate = 1Gman

Who knows, I just might go off of the beach. I think I'll be going out there and playing it by ear. You can email me at [email protected] if there is anything else I should know.

Did any fish houses go through on Gervais?

My neighbor tells tale of good crappie action from prior years. I have not heard a lot of postive reports on the crappie action as far as numbers but have heard when they get them some are nice slabs...For a smaller lake that is...

Gman
I live on it and haven't seen or heard of any going in yet! I did see a open spring develop in front of my place. What wil you be fishing from tomorrow am. I'll stop by if I get up in time!

------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

Addicted, I found an opening in the ice on south side just out from the beach. Where is the opening you have discovered? Are there a lot of natural springs in this lake? Do you have any fish stories to share from living on the lake?

G-man, I sent you some information at the e-mail you provided.

Is anybody having any luck getting crappies on Gervais. Used to be able to get some nice ones, but they got fished pretty hard two or three years back. Didn't do well last year.

G-man- Did you do the moring run? Any success? I am going out Sunday morning early and then Sunday evening? Just not sure were I may try Bald Eagle for crappie and walleye.

Addicted- 4" walleyes? Wow give those little guys credit for attacking the lure and yourself a pat on the back for being skilled enough to hook those little suckers.

Unfortunately, didn't make the morning run. Make the evening run though, 3-7pm. Moved around and tryed a few things, didn't find out anything. Tried shallow, in front of where Kohlman feeds into Gervais, and in front of the weedline (7' water). Moved to the north to a bar off of a small point and tryed 6', 10' and 14'. All small fish. Mostly walleyes. Managed to keep the perch off my line too. Think I want to try that big point in the middle of the east shore, it looks inviting.

I'll be doing the morning run too. Hoping to get out there 6 or 6:30am. Maybe I'll run into you.

Well at least you found some walleyes. Enjoy the Calhoun FM gathering. I will be doing the evening run on Sunday so I will give you a report. Let me know how the morning bite is. The point you speak of is where I believe the best chance at a large Walleye exists. I also believe that the crappies might be in or around that area. Good Luck

Mr Pike1

Been out a few times this year. Lots of perch and 4" eyes. The hole I'm talking about is halfway between the eastern shore on the point(infront of the indian carving) and the black fish house on the hump.

------------------
Addicted

Did a 3:30-5:45. Got some nice 7-9" chunky perch and a few small walleyes, no crappies and then as I was graphing fish on the bottome with my vex a nice gust of wind came and blew me of the spot. I scrambled to catch the heater, the minnow bucket, the lantern, poles, vex, and somehow managed to hang on to the shack so it did not blow across the lake....I took this a message to get off the lake...Anyone else out this weekend?

I made the morning run, 6:30am - 10:15. Went to the middle point along the east shore. I got to find a closer parking spot if I go back to that point. First spot caught about 10 small perch in 10 minutes, 10' of water. The square black permanent/portable shack out there is in about 10' of water. Started moving around. Deeper holes off the point didn't do nuttin, only a small perch here and there. Went shallow and in 4' of water found bigger fish. Caught two keeper perch, 10-11". Also, ran into what looked like nice size 'gills. Couldn't get them to take the hook, even with sight fishing. Bigger fish were just barely interested.

Still lookin for those 'eyes and crappies ...

Those are some nice perch. Did you say you could see sunfish on the weedline? It would be nice to catch some nice sunnies mixed with jumbo perch. The nice fish seem to hug the weedline on this lake. It must be because there is not much structure and they use the weeds for protection. One guy I spoke with said he found some nice crappies on that point you were fishing in deeper water. That point has the only structure on the lake. There is a rock pile over there, lots of weeds on a sunken island that comes up to 5 feet, and it drops off to 40'. I think your best shot for the crappies and the walleyes will be the 3-7 evening run on that point. I am going to the Bluefin lodge this weekend on lake Vermillion and hope to catch some nice Walleyes. The calhoun thing looked like it was good time and someone got a nice Musky...Anyway keep the reports coming. Keep exploring and you soon will produce some nice crappies and walleyes.

Lived on it since 84 and never heard or seen a channel cat caught!

------------------
Addicted

Hey addicted!! you do any good last weekend? It's starting to snow now, maybe the next few days will be good fishing. Been out on Gervais lately?

Cat's on Gervais?.....hmmm, I dont think so?? But crazy stuff be happenin this year!!

Addicted, I will be calling you later.

morriscode

Addicted, do you see much use out of the permanent shacks that are in the south bay (by the Spoon bridge) and there is also 2 or 3 shacks along the west shoreline (off the beach or off small points). Last Sunday, I moved just off of the big point trying to find the drop-off (map shows it drops off quick there). Didn't have much luck as I was almost out of time and it got pretty windy as I moved around the corner. I'm just curious, because those permanent shacks (at least on the west shore) haven't moved. They must be on some sort of structure, probably catching crappies or perch.

The next time I'm out there, I'll speak up again and you'll have to introduce yourself if you're available. I have an extra seat in my portable if its really cold out.

I'm also thinking it would be nice, while the ice is so clear, to find a weedline that runs out to a drop-off. The map only shows about 2-3 saddle areas in the entire lake, so I'm thinking the main structure is drop-offs. Anyone know of any rock-piles or cribs?

Gman
I haven't taken a run to the SE end this year, however the shacks are on a nice drop. In the years past they were spear houses picked up eyes once in awhile by them. Was that you this weekend in the blue clam out by the black house on the point? I was too lazy surfin the couch to get out!

Morriscode! Glad to hear you survived BDAY weekend on Mille Lacs give me a hollar with your report. I'm heading to Winni& Red this weekend!~

------------------
Addicted

[This message has been edited by addicted (edited 01-13-2003).]

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have doubted it myself. Next time out I am going to try right out from the beach. Less of a walk and I watched the guy set up when I got there and he was there when I left. Has anyone got any crappies out there at all this year? The last few years it was all I caught. So far I have been skunked.

Jig em up, were you on the water in the morning or evening. If it was the eveing I would have been the guy on the beach side. I stayed until dusk. Concerning the catfish issue. I was fishing off the shore at spoon one evening in June while walking my dog and caught a 2 lb catfish so they are there. How they got there I have no idea either introduced by DNR through stocking or perhaps by local angler. I doubt they are a natural population. I have not caught any crappie this although my neibor tells me they have had great crappie success in years past.

That was me in the blue portable (Fish Trap Guide) by the black (mostly permanent) shelter off of the point. He is sitting in 10' of water. My guess is he is just catching small perch because thats all I caught there. I got the bigger perch, and seen the gills, closer to shore in 4' of water. Although the hole I drilled was not surrounded in weeds. I only picked that spot to drill because there was snow to stand on so I didn't fall on my can.

Which house are you in Addicted? I'm freezing my can off and you are surfing on the couch! rolleyes.gif

There's a 16' Indian in my front yard!
On the eastern shore right in from the black shack!
------------------
Addicted

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have doubted it myself. Next time out I am going to try right out from the beach. Less of a walk and I watched the guy set up when I got there and he was there when I left. Has anyone got any crappies out there at all this year? The last few years it was all I caught. So far I have been skunked.

MrPike1, I was out in the eve. Did you have any luck? I think I am going to start moving around. The fish aren't in the "usual" spots, so I won't be either. I am going to find out where they went!

Oops, I sent the same thing twice.

Channel cats have been stocked in Phalen and Keller over the last few years to control the bullhead population. Perhaps there has been some migration to Gervais.

That's interesting. I fish carp in Keller in the hot summer, but have never even thought I would come up with a catfish. This one looked like he had taken care of a few bullheads!

I believe the good fish are in the weeds or tight to the weedline. This lake has limited structure for fish so this is were I believe them to be at. I have caught my biggest pike and walleye in 9 feet of water just outside of the weedline.

SpikeRoberts, is Keller lake actually conncected by a feeder creek to Phalon..I see hwy 61 crosses but can not tell by the map if they are somehow connected.