• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going Thursday - Help!

Daze Off

Just got invited to go to Mille Lacs for the day on Thursday and fish for walleyes in the AM and perhaps smallies in the PM.

I've got the smallie thing under control because I target bass 99% of the time. Pretty sure I can figure something out there anyway.

Now, walleyes are a whole 'nother deal for me. I've got some bottom bouncers and a couple of Lindy rigs but what should I be thinking about dragging this time of year and on what kind of rig? I'll let my host choose the spots but I don't want to be totally unpreprared. Last walleye I caught was on a bass jig swimming back to the boat.....now there's a plan! I've also got an assortment of cranks that might work - shad raps of various kinds/sizes, tail dancers, and even clown colored and perch colored wally divers.

Forecast is for partly cloudy, 80 degrees, east wind @ 5 mph. Any truth to the saying "wind from the east, fish bite the least"?

Thanks for whatever experience you can share?

Daze Off

We would love to help. I will let you know that in the last 20 threads on this site we pretty much devulge all the secrets to catching walleyes. Check out the threads talking about spinners, 3 way cranks, Lindy rigs, and any of the recent reports on the action (most are dated in the title). The trick for walleyes on Mille Lacs is long leaders (7-9ft in length). Key colors on Mille Lacs are Green, gold and silver depending on the sun. Spinners on a three way with a night crawler have produced the most fish and some of the biggest over the last couple weeks. The second option would be a lindy rig, chart beed and red hook with a jumbo leech. The good thing is that the walleyes are eating almost anything you put in front of them. Use your electronics to find them on the flats and some of the deep structure (Mud=big fish, gravel=numbers and eaters).

TrophyEyes has nailed it.

I was out last Wed. Fished the mud - Blue Jug flat.(1) 28 1/4 (1) 27 (5) 26 - 26 1/2. LOng snells I was using an 11 ft snell , red hook and a chart/ bead. I was using a G Loomis IMX 1084 steelhead rod. Works like a "gem " for these long snells.

I like the hammered copper and silver colors also for spinners. Pink may start to work now also. Can't go wrong like trophyEyes mentioned with chart. also.

Make sure you have jumbo leeches. and crawlers.

If it's going to be calm, cover alot of areas. Give the mud a shot first, then gravel.

You should catch fish grin.gif

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for some of the different presentation tips. Really paid off on sat (outfished the other folks in the boat 10 to 1 just by trying some of the tips gleaned from reading between the BS and the gripes). Tied my personal best walleye 27 inches and change x2 (well worth the cost of a bead and hook to see them swim away). I would suggest long snells and mixing up bead/beads. H2O with navionics helps too.

Thanks folks - will let you know how we did when I get back to the office on Friday....

One question though - not quite sure what a three-way rig is...one to the main line, one to sinker, one to bait? Is there line between the 3-way swivel and the sinker?

Always interested in a new way to fish....

Daze Off

Yes there is line between the 3-way swivel and the sinker. It should be between 10" to 24". I use about 14". Let the weight hit the bottom and then reel up about 2 cranks. When you set the hook on this rig set it sideways in a sweeping motion, not up like you would jigging or bobber fishing. You have to do it sideways otherwise you get slack in the line created by the down force of the weight and the hook set is not effective.

See the results under "Mud Slow on Thursday"

Thanks again for the assistance - I'm sure we would have been totally skunked without it - we caught our fish on exactly the stuff you guys prescribed.

Daze Off

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.