Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

Roach rig vrs Lindy rig?

8 posts in this topic

The hot tip in the Strib today was to use a Roach rig. When I do a search to see what it looks like, it looks like a glorified Lindy rig. What is the difference between a Roach rig and a Lindy rig? Have you used Roach rigs?

I am not sure but, doesn't the roach rig have a float above the bead?

Darn near same thing. Just differnt companies make them. Lindy Joe and Gary Roach.

For a Roach rig you should use a rubber snubber bobber stop before the swivel. This allows you to adjust the length of the snell without changing rigs.

I use a bobber stop instead of the rubber stopper, it works better. To me being able to easily set the lenght of the leader without retying a huge plus.

Lindy/Little Joe makes the Lindyrig. Northland tackle makes the Roach rig, which as stated above, has a stop to adjust the snell length via the sinker.

Another better option is the Foam Walker from Today's Tackle. IT's a foam body with a weight on the bottom so it never tips over. The foam floats and the weight keeps your line and rig on the bottom. Your line attaches to the top of the foam walker. You can snap it on and off your line. Change weights to match whatever depth you are at. It will also break off in the event of a bad snag so it saves the rest of your rig. No retying that way. It stands at 7" high in the water. You pull it just like a Lindy Rig - slow motion. Less snags than anything else on the market. Best part is when you're done fishing you can snap it off your line and put the rod away without anything banging around. Stop and go retrieves work very well also.

Bruce Mosher

The only thing I don't like about the Floating (Roach) Rig is the hook points down. This has caused some missed hook setting, except in the case where the aggressive walleyes hooks themselves. So I twist and bend the hook to make it point up right or find something else that does that, or modified crawler rig with floater beads.