Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rippinlip

Bay City Flats

4 posts in this topic

Is there anything happening yet?

Looking to come down possibly this weekend, not much for Pool 4 reports though.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't make it up to the flats but here is my latest report as of May 19, 2007.

A friend and I headed down to Lake Pepin. We started off by hitting Hak-So-La Park Point working the break line. I caught one nice crappie. Went south to Digger’s Point and caught nothing. We went further south and fished the rocky shore by the Lake City Marina and used the electric trolling motor to maneuver around. When we got to the second pier, my fishing pole had a big whack! It was a nice 17 inch sauger caught in 23 fow.

Next, we headed for Roschen boat landing and checked out the break line. Nothing once again, so it was time to head north. We tried the break line from Hanson’s Harbor down to long point. I caught another nice sauger in 9 fow. My friend also nailed a sauger as well. Right in front of the white house I caught a 25 inch northern on a chartreuse jig head with a translucent speckled green ringworm tipped with a minnow. We also caught a lot of sheepies here as well. I caught another nice crappie just south of Long Point. Our final stop of the day was the Maiden Rock Flats. All that we caught here were those dreaded sheepies.

So we caught two nice crappies, three nice saugers, one nice northern, and several sheepies. The crappies and saugers bit on a chartreuse Phelp’s Floater with about a three foot leader tipped with a minnow.

Is there a trolling bite somewhere going or is it still a live bait thing.

Taking a friend to the river Saturday and we are looking to hook into something. Would really like to troll, cause I don't do it too much and I heard it can be a riot on the river, due to the fact you have no idea what might be on the other end.

Any other thoughts on where to start, I have bought a river map and took some advice from above post, just looking for more options.

Looking at the map, what about the Wisconsin Channel and Goose Lake.

I went on the Bay City Flats about a week ago and caught 8 walleyes and saugers. The smallest was 14in and the biggest was 23in. I caught all of them trolling a #5 or #7 Jointed shad rap. Most of them came on a fire tirger, and hot perch.

But like I said That was about a week ago. There still probaly there but I would try up a little way either along point no point or madden rock Flats trolling.

Good luck with those nasty river lunker

shocked.gifbringnhomethewalleyes shocked.gif