Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eye4Eye

blackduck, red

3 posts in this topic

I will be going up there this weekend, wondering what was working. I was on mille lacs for the opener and it was bumper boats but we got fish. thanks in advance

Fished Blackduck on opener weekend and yesterday (5/15).

I had success in 8.5 to 10 fow pitching jigs (1/8th to 1/4 ounce). Lighter the jig the better. Spot tail shiners seemed to work best on opener but yesterday only fatheads seemed to catch fish. Yellow, chartreuse, or orange colored jigs worked.

Pitching the jigs seemed to work best as I was unable to get any strikes near the boat. I tried slip bobbering with no success. Others around me were catching fish with bobbers however.

Fished Red Sunday afternoon until dark. When the wind was up I drifted with rigs tipped with shiners or fatheads. Neither produced more than the other. 6-8 fow worked best. My catch rate was down from last year but still managed 2-3 fish an hour. After the wind died down I pitched jigs with modest success. Bobbers did not work for me on Red either. Might be me smile.gif

Good luck!

Thank you for the information I will be up there tomorrow, if you see me give a shout. I will be in a tan/white alumacraft.BTW I am already feeling the tug on the line.