Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random guy

Jonny P report

11 posts in this topic

The crappie bite just gets better and better as crappies ram their way into shallow water for a night of romance. I have been finding active crappies in 4-2 feet of water. (Jonny P/ Outdoors With Jonny P its affiliates and/or associates are not responsible for your big old boat stuck on a sandbar trying to reach 2 feet of water) wink.gif Crappies have been actively hitting dark colored jigs tipped with shiners during the daytime hours and preferring a brighter jig such as pink or chartreuse as dusk rolls in. Water temps have been ranging from 59-68 degrees across the lake putting these crappies into high gear in there search for darker bottom spawning areas such as the northern and north eastern shores of the lake.

The walleye bite this weekend should prove to be successful as many crappie anglers are frustrated with bait stealing walleyes (bet you never thought I would say “bait stealing walleye”) along the 6-4 foot breakline. Remember proper handling and good ethics this weekend as we handle many non-keeper walleyes.

I also wanted to ask full co-operation with the creel survey, these guys and gals are not out to bust you, reprimand you for who knows what or harass you, they are there to monitor the fishery while continuing their efforts to make Upper Red Lake a quality lake once again. So take the time and tell it straight, it will pay off in years to come.

Good luck this weekend and enjoy the Outdoors.

Here is a pic of a super dark spring crappie

blackcrappievr1.jpg

Hey, nice reports, keep them coming, and smile when you get your pic taken grin.gif

I'll be up the 18th-21st so rest up cool.gif

What are you hearing from the DNR about the river being open this weekend?

DB

Quote:

Hey, nice reports, keep them coming, and smile when you get your pic taken
grin.gif

I am smiling you screwball.

Great picture! It looks like it is printed on your T-Shirt! grin.gif

Hmmm...there's an idea! shocked.gif

Jonny, eat a cheeseburger!! You are withering away man!

Quote:

Jonny, eat a cheeseburger!! You are withering away man!

No way man, I'm finally back to my fighting weight. It is amazing what shedding 60lbs will do...the boat doesn't even list to one side anymore. grin.gif

nice report!

Lost 60lbs, wow. Must be the starvation diet, brutal.

Quote:

Lost 60lbs, wow. Must be the starvation diet, brutal.

All I did was change careers and stopped eating anything that comes as a value meal.

Jon -

Sorry I didn't introduce myself Monday (I was the guy who interrupted your late lunch/early dinner)- I didn't think about it until after I left you to your lunch. You were probably wondering who the heck was that guy?

Anyway, nice meeting you, and thank you very much for your advice. I wasn't able to convince my fellow fisherthings to give it a serious try, they preferred to catch and release a million or so walleyes. Anyway, we had a great time. I'm going to try to get up there again before it gets too late in May, maybe dash off early from work, I could be on the lake by 6 and get the evening fishing in.

Thanks again for your advice, and I hope I didn't gab so long your burger got cold.

later,

River Karhu

No problem at all, I shouldn't be eating bacon cheese burgers anyways. wink.gif

The north shore did well on crappies you guys should have made the trip instead of catching walleyes with a bluegill attitude.

Next time I'll have my boat and it won't be an issue - I'll be the Kaptain!

All I need is a slightly bigger motor......a 15 or 20hp and I would feel better about challenging the big lake.

later

River