• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jonny P report

Random guy

The crappie bite just gets better and better as crappies ram their way into shallow water for a night of romance. I have been finding active crappies in 4-2 feet of water. (Jonny P/ Outdoors With Jonny P its affiliates and/or associates are not responsible for your big old boat stuck on a sandbar trying to reach 2 feet of water) wink.gif Crappies have been actively hitting dark colored jigs tipped with shiners during the daytime hours and preferring a brighter jig such as pink or chartreuse as dusk rolls in. Water temps have been ranging from 59-68 degrees across the lake putting these crappies into high gear in there search for darker bottom spawning areas such as the northern and north eastern shores of the lake.

The walleye bite this weekend should prove to be successful as many crappie anglers are frustrated with bait stealing walleyes (bet you never thought I would say “bait stealing walleye”) along the 6-4 foot breakline. Remember proper handling and good ethics this weekend as we handle many non-keeper walleyes.

I also wanted to ask full co-operation with the creel survey, these guys and gals are not out to bust you, reprimand you for who knows what or harass you, they are there to monitor the fishery while continuing their efforts to make Upper Red Lake a quality lake once again. So take the time and tell it straight, it will pay off in years to come.

Good luck this weekend and enjoy the Outdoors.

Here is a pic of a super dark spring crappie

blackcrappievr1.jpg

Hey, nice reports, keep them coming, and smile when you get your pic taken grin.gif

I'll be up the 18th-21st so rest up cool.gif

What are you hearing from the DNR about the river being open this weekend?

DB

Quote:

Hey, nice reports, keep them coming, and smile when you get your pic taken
grin.gif

I am smiling you screwball.

Great picture! It looks like it is printed on your T-Shirt! grin.gif

Hmmm...there's an idea! shocked.gif

Quote:

Jonny, eat a cheeseburger!! You are withering away man!

No way man, I'm finally back to my fighting weight. It is amazing what shedding 60lbs will do...the boat doesn't even list to one side anymore. grin.gif

nice report!

Lost 60lbs, wow. Must be the starvation diet, brutal.

Quote:

Lost 60lbs, wow. Must be the starvation diet, brutal.

All I did was change careers and stopped eating anything that comes as a value meal.

Jon -

Sorry I didn't introduce myself Monday (I was the guy who interrupted your late lunch/early dinner)- I didn't think about it until after I left you to your lunch. You were probably wondering who the heck was that guy?

Anyway, nice meeting you, and thank you very much for your advice. I wasn't able to convince my fellow fisherthings to give it a serious try, they preferred to catch and release a million or so walleyes. Anyway, we had a great time. I'm going to try to get up there again before it gets too late in May, maybe dash off early from work, I could be on the lake by 6 and get the evening fishing in.

Thanks again for your advice, and I hope I didn't gab so long your burger got cold.

later,

River Karhu

No problem at all, I shouldn't be eating bacon cheese burgers anyways. wink.gif

The north shore did well on crappies you guys should have made the trip instead of catching walleyes with a bluegill attitude.

Next time I'll have my boat and it won't be an issue - I'll be the Kaptain!

All I need is a slightly bigger motor......a 15 or 20hp and I would feel better about challenging the big lake.

later

River

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.