Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JP Z

Panfish Fly Patterns

11 posts in this topic

Figured I'd start a new post to answer Cory's question.

A fly I like is the STP Frog in the tiny pattern.

There are a couple more fun topwaters, just need to remember where I found them so I can get you a good recipe.

How about a good fly that rides just under the surface and stays weedless?

Thanks jpz,

Corey Bechtold

A good option would be a tiny clouser/Bendback with a plastic beadchain eye. then it rides hook point up but with the plastic beadchain eye it sinks very slowly.

I've never used anyother fly for pannies than a popper,been using them since I was 8 learning a flyrod they work great and there cheap,I also get alot a bass and a few notherns,it was 1959 when I was 8 and I dont think my Dad had a selection of cheap flies for me to whip the feathers off,even so they yet caught sunnies!

Hi Guys thought I'd bring this up to the top again & share a few patterns.

Here's a couple of patterns that have been working for me. The first is a dry fly I like to call the Purple Hooter #14

this thing has been nailing bulls & also getting crappies to come up & slamm it.

PurpleHooter4.jpg

Next is a new pattern that I learned this weekend from GlobalFlyFisher & is called the "Monster Bug" I took this receipe & chaged it up a little to adapt for some creative juices that were flowing & to mimic our native June Bug here in MN. this one also has been producing nice fish & tonite I tied up some larger ones for the Bass opener this weekend they range from sizes #14 - #8. I changed up the dubbing in the receipe for some Krystal Flash Chanille in the thorax & the sunnies went nuts on it.

MonsterBug5.jpg

MonsterBug4.jpg

MonsterBug2.jpg

Lastly a pic of a nice bull next to my 8wt.

FlySunnies.jpg

Good luck out there guys & tight lines!

Chris

I've got to say that I'm most impressed by the June bug imitations. You don't usually here a comment like the following in this context, but here goes: "Nice legs!"

It looks like those could serve as cicada imitations as well and my guess is that they would catch trout as well as panfish.

Would you be willing to post that recipe or is it easy enough to get off the web?

shiner,

globalflyfisher site.

Shiner,

JPZ beat me to it. Just go to the site & look for the "Monster Bug" if that doesn't do it.

I will tye one up after the kids are to bed tonite & do a new post called "Monster Bug" with pics step by step for all to enjoy.

Thanks guys! I figured it was that easy, but just wanted to check.