Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
macgruber

fishing report north shore steelhead

3 posts in this topic

out on the north shore last weekend steelheading....

talked to one other person who caught a fish....

sucker-- low, clear, and crowded....

stewart-- good flow, clear but stained.... guy caught one here in the morning on sat.

temperance-- muddier, decent flow but still a lil low, i pulled one by the mouth.....

poplar-- low and stained, crowded all weekend (we stayed at the resort)..... no fish reported or caught.....

baptism-- clear, decent flow, but lower than normal.... no fish sighted, one reportedly caught on sat......

run should be in full swing by the weekend.....

Things have changed GREATLY since last weekend. Before you head up, make sure to check out the North Shore Forum in the MN Regional section first. Water is still cold, muddy with some ice. The fishing is getting better, but that forum will give you a better picture. Good luck!

we need a nice warm rain to get the fish to come in.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• popriveter
      Silver lake in New Brighton is iced over. I'm going to count one week before checking thickness on my early ice spots. Could be fishing next Friday if all goes well.  
    • fishingstar
      Hey eyes one thing nice is you have reveres to help clean out your holes
    • Spearing Machine
      Thanks Cliff! I've been very closely monitoring Pike Bay the last few weeks I'm not far from you as the crow flies right on the bay. Still sitting at 4-5 inches of ALL refroze slush. No good ice. It's flooding over pretty good with 1-3 inches water with the couple inches snow still on top. Hopefully the cold penetrates that snow and gets things going so I can run the sled right up the bay to McKinley by next weekend.
    • Stick in Mud
      The ice on the small pond on the west side of the road heading into SJU was able to hold my weight (which is substantial, alas).  I didn't have a chisel, and I wasn't about to go any further out.  Still, very good sign.  I'm sure there'll be guys out by the end of the weekend, if not sooner.     
    • Stick in Mud
      I think the fishing will be outstanding this winter.   They were certainly going crazy in early December.  I honestly don't care about keeping any fish, though it is nice to have the option of bringing one home.  I don't understand why guys drive four or five hours to catch dozens of dinks on Red Lake--especially last year when you could only keep two or three--when Mille Lacs was *insane* last year with both numbers and size.  Oh well.  It obviously sucks for the businesses, but I won't complain about having the best flats all to myself.    We were up on the northwest side out of Myr Mar.  The harbor didn't even freeze up. We did nothing special...trolled slowly using big baits, on shoreline breaks, over remaining weeds, and over rocks. It was just like the old days, only back then we thought we were tough when we fished in early November.