Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jurban24

Pool 4 Help

13 posts in this topic

I am planning making the trip down next monday.

what is working?

where?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Jeremiah

From what I know the bite has been changing daily. Jigging minnows and 3-ways with minnows have been the ticket for me latley. I did take some better fish pitching plastics in the wood but the numbers have not been there. I will be back out Fri and Sat.

Saturday is the Walleye Warmup so there will be information sharing goin on!

The weather will be better this weekend. Should be plenty of people out. Like Mike said the walleye warm up is on Saturday, a bunch of people from the site will be out. I don't think there will be any shortage of information. I would look at those reports. Clarity, and the receding water may change things a ton by then. Or not tongue.gif On Monday, we caught some fish in the afternoon w/ firecrakcer chart paddle tail. Jigging/ dragging. Others got fish dragging jigs upstream.

Dan

Jeremiah the bite has been a little slow the last couple of days.the weather is going to be alot more stable this weekend as the water and the temp. warm up the bite will be alot better.when its tough fishing its hard to beat the hair jig and a minnow.stop in the store and i will be happy to give you updated info.good luck ike.

Thanks Ike

I will see you on monday.

Does matter what time of day?

Thanks

Jeremiah

Mike when you are running 3-ways with minnows are you running a bell sinker on your drop line? A float with the minnow? What kind of length on the drop and the bait line? Also what type of structure are you targeting with this setup? I am pretty new to fishing 3-ways not to mention the river and I appreciate any help. I am hoping to make it on Sat. with my dad but I'm not sure if we can make it there early enough for any pre-fishing instruction/pointers. Keep in mind this is only my second time on the river so I'm pretty naïve.

Thanks,

Guy Walburn

My favorite 3-way is a minnow on a 18" to 2ft leader with a 1ft dropper to a jighead and ringworm. Covers the whole spectrum. If one bait is catching all the fish switch back to 2 rod jigging with the bait that works. I have had doubles doing this. Lots of fun. This works well on wingdams and current breaks as you slowly drift. Little early to be using 3-ways for crankbaits but some will be doing it.

Boy, never thought of that kind of set up!Almost seems illegal. Not saying it is. So are you using a plain hook with the minnow or a floating jig? Also geussing a 3/8 jig on the drop? Hoping to get down soon good luck guys.

I like to use a bell sinker. The weight depends on if I am casting the rig or trolling. casting I do not go over 1/2 oncne. Trolling I may use up to 4 or 5 ounces. All depends on the current and the depth you are targeting.

As for the rigging it depends on what they want that day. Somedays it is a tiny plain hook, others it is an obnoxious spinner, and somtimes it is floating jighead.

Like I say it depends.

mw

Thanks for all the help everyone and I look forward to fishing with all of you.

Guy

Quote:

Boy, never thought of that kind of set up!Almost seems illegal. Not saying it is. So are you using a plain hook with the minnow or a floating jig? Also geussing a 3/8 jig on the drop? Hoping to get down soon good luck guys.

It's only legal where you can use two lines. Pool 4 is OK but inland Minnesota waters are not. Most times the current is strong enough that all you need is a plain hook for the minnow. Jighead weight is dependent on the current. Just enough to keep things vertical. If you are like Walerak and handle two rods at one time then bell sinkers and minnows are the way to go. I am just not that co-ordinated. Tend to set the hook with my right arm even when the fish is hitting the left hand rod.

This time of year with all the boats down there its tough enough to controll the boat while jigging let alone two rods so this is a pretty good idea. If they're not right on the bottom you can get em a couple feet up with the floater.By the way, anyone know if the water is still in the woods? Hope it warms up before the water goes down so the spawn is successful.

Quote:

My favorite 3-way is a minnow on a 18" to 2ft leader with a 1ft dropper to a jighead and ringworm.

As far as I could tell by what I and the other boats where doing and catching today this was the most effective method to use.