Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
william wallace

When will the smelt run start?

11 posts in this topic

Lets make some guesses on the exact date of the smelt run up on Superior. I'm going to say the 11th of April. I may even make a trip up. I think I might be a little early but with the warm weather and the rain I could be right. What do the rest of you think??

WW

I hope your correct but Im guessing the 17th or so like last year. May be sooner but it always seems that the wind keeps us off for a week.

put me in im guessing tax day april 15 lol always when i start seinin

First decent night will be the 16th and will peak on the 20th will ideal weather. They will be in and out. I predict a qucker 'season'. You can probably guess where I pulled this knowledge from but the only ones that really know are the smelt.

It might be wishful thinking but i hope its a bit sooner.

Give me the 15th..............just a hunch!

Probably the same place I got my guess from Matt. grin.gif

Well we will have to see when the ICE goes and the temp's warm up grin.gif. I can not wait till it does.

When we get a few warm days in mid to late April and then a slight NE wind to blow it in the smelt will follow.

Im guessing april 19th for the start and hope they run till may

Randoid

We seined on the 18th last year the night there were 5 foot rollers on park point. We were done in 15 min. with 30 gallons. The next day the outdoor section (who was written by the outdoor guy) read that the dip netters were dippin lester river but strong NErns keeped sieners off of park point. Not the pirates arrrrrr.