Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deitz Dittrich

New Fly Rod?

16 posts in this topic

Ok as you may have seen in a previous post, I am getting a pontoon for floating the St.Croix up by my cabin... I have a 6wt St.Croix flyrod that I bought about 14 years ago...

If I wanted to get into more fly fishing for smallies and anything else I may catch on the river(some walleyes and sheepies I would imagine).. what would be the correct fly rod and length to fish best from one of the tube pontoons.

Thanks for the help again guys... I love to fish out of my triton with my 8gazillion baitcasters and such as much as the next guy... but this whole fly stuff is drawing me a little.

I prefer a 7wt for the St. Croix, but you're at no real disadvantage with the 6wt. You may find that a "bug taper" line gives you better cast with the larger flies you'll use for smallmouth. My advice is that you fish with what you've got for a while and see how it goes, then change your equipment accordingly.

9'6" or 10', 7wt, mod-fast to fast, although a 6wt is fine. I just built a 9'6" 6wt w/removeable fighting butt for warmwater fishing or tossing heavier stuff for trout. I teamed it with a RIO multitip line. If you have a 9' 6wt that you like then I would use it and spool up a line with a taper to match the bugs you're going to toss.

For bass I highly recomend a 9 ft 8 wt. I use a longer rod for steelhead but the shorter length helps you rocket those larger flies out there a ways. It also provides a better hookset when fishing with weedguards. I also recomend the RIO clouser for big nasties line. it has a massive head and shoots heavy flies like no line i've ever seen.

I'm with Quickstrike all the way on this one. If you're a St. Croix guy, an Avid in 9' 8 wt. would be a nice piece of equipment for you. The slightly shorter (and considerably more expensive) 8'9" 8 wt. in the Legend Ultra series is an extremely sweet rod. That's the so-called Bob Clouser rod.

You can fish with lighter line weight rods, certainly, but they are more tiring to fish all day long and if you should hook up to a muskie or a good northern, you'll be undergunned.

I have a 9' 6" 8 wt. that I like for steelheading. I used it once for bass bugging and the extra length just seemed kind of strange.

Thanks all for the great advice, I knew I could count on you guys... I unfortunatly will probably not be selling the farm to buy this rod. I am a shimano dude, by heart so it kills me that they dont make fly fishing stuff.

I will probably end up getting a less expensive combo from Cabelas next time I am working there as then I get employee discount. So I mostly interested in lenth of rod and wt. for these smallies.

thanks again for all the help.

Deitz, how far off the water do you sit in your pontoon? If I'm float tubing (waist in the water) or sitting in a canoe then I like a longer rod (say 10') as the extra length helps in airializing the line. If you're casting from the deck of a bass boat then a 9' or even less will be just the ticket. As for line weight that really depends on what you're going after. If you plan on targeting Pike or Muskie then a 9 or 10wt (or larger) would be ideal, for bass a 7wt or 8wt would be great although that 6wt you have will certainly work. For fighting wind and punching your flies out there I would go with a fast action rod. If you're going after Bass with wind resistant flies and mainly targeting the surface then the Rio Clauser line is a great choice when teamed up with a fast action rod. On the otherhand if you're also trying to fish the water column then having a sinking line (or multitip) in your arsenal is very useful.

Dietz i met you at the sportsman show sat, if your going to get into warm water fly fishing I may still have a few warm water flies i don't use and would be willing to let you have them. wink.gifjust have to remember where they are.

Due to all the tournaments of the last few years I have had no time for the sport, and sold most my fly gear all i have remaining is trout rods there for i have no use for big flies. such as clousers, dahlbergs, hair poppers,craw patterns ,ect.

Dietz ol' man, you don't have to go nuts on this fly tackle stuff. A good solid Cabela's deal on a 9' eight weight rod and a decent reel will be fine. And a Cortland Bass Bug Taper line, or the Cabela's equivalent will be just fine. Cut a couple feet off the tip of the fly line which will really emphasize the blunt taper, add three feet of 20 lbs. test Trilene XT with another 3 ft. of 10lb. XL and you're good to go. Don't over complicate your life.

Been all through this stuff as an instructor, dealer and hard core user. grin.gif

LC, very kind offer.. I may take you up on it.. maybe make some sort of deal so it doenst feel like I am robbing you.. LOL

thanks again to all for the great advice!

DIETZ, NO PROBLEM I WOULD RATHER SEE IT GET USED THAN JUST LAY AROUND. ILL SHOOT YOU AN EMAIL ADRESS REPLY ME AN ADRESS AND ILL MAIL THEM TO YOU BY SNAIL MAIL

LC- I sent you an e-mail to your yahoo acct.

ooops, no I didn't it bounced back to me...

e-mail me.. ddittrich@chisagolakes.k12.mn.us

ILL HAVE TO E-MAIL YOU FROM HOME MY COMPUTER FROM WORK IS NOT CONFIGURED FOR EMAIL

LC, still no e-mail from you.. or it got zapped in my junk mail filter?.. I'm in no hurry.. Just making sure there wasn't an e-mail problem.

dietz, i sent your package on saturday so you should be recieving it soon

yipee!!!... I love waiting for packages!...

Thanks a mill sir!