Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TurnUpTheFishing

Copolymer?

9 posts in this topic

What is a copolymer line and why would I use it over mono or floro? I picked up some gamma copolymer for cheap and began to realise Ive never heard much talk about copolymers. Anyone want to fill me in?

a copolymer line is usually a 2 part line. a mono core with some other substance on the outside. I am quite familiar with the Gamma lines as I am on their prostaff... The Gamma copoly has a mono core and after the extruding process it is run through Gamma radiation. It realigns the long string carbon molicules. The end product is a line that casts better, holds knots better and is more limp.

Why would you use a copoly over a mono?.. usually a copoly has better abrasion resistance. and slightly less streth over a pure mono. Floro is a whole idfferent ballgame. 100% florois usually much more expensive.. stretches less than both copoly and mono and it sinks.. where the other lines float. Floro is also more invisable in water.

I tried Co-Polymers as a snell for live bait rigging a couple of years ago. Now that's all I use for snells or slip float snells. I tested the heck out of it and I have every confidence in abrasion resistance and knot strength.

Thanks guys.

Deitz, you said Gamma copolymer has a mono core but is it just radiated mono or does it have a florocarbon or other type of coating similiar to floroclear?

Would you know if the density is the same as mono, closer to florocarbon or somewhere in the middle?

I got some 10 lb. I was thinking of using on cranks and 14 lb. for pitching jigs and plastics.

its listed as a co-poly, but I cant tell you if the other part is floro or not... As far as density... I have no clue.. its very limp, casts very well, holds knots like a dream, and stronger than #^@&%#!

I use 10 lb on my cranks... and cant think of a time where I lost a fish due to a break.. which included a few 40" muskies.... I went with 17 for pitching jigs, and couldnot believe how limp it was.. I had a few friends try and guess what pound test it was sitting on my rod, most guessed it was 12-14lb...

Turn Up- if your going to go to the SportShow, look me up at the Thorne Brothers Booth(I'll be there thursday/friday evening and all day sat/sun)... I'll bring you to the gamma both and make you a believer! wink.gif

Thanks again Deitz. I havnt used it yet but from all the good things Ive heard about Gamma line I just had to give it a try.

I first saw Gamma 2 years ago at the Duluth Sports Show. Couldnt believe what I was hearing so I had them give me a mini spool to try out. I told them if I liked it I would buy some more. Well I have since purchased 3 spools and I really like the knot strength. I have used it on some of my Crawler Harnesses and have a trolling rod rigged with it. So far I have nothing bad to say about it except its a bit pricey. Most good stuff is though.

I first tried Gamma last year because I received a small sample spool. I was very impressed with how limp yet abrasion resistant the line was. I'm going to go with on most of my rods this year.

The Gamma rep gave me a demo vs the Suffix line. Based simply on feel and a strength test, I was sold. The "buy two get one free" deal they have at the show also helped sell me.