• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Copolymer?

TurnUpTheFishing

What is a copolymer line and why would I use it over mono or floro? I picked up some gamma copolymer for cheap and began to realise Ive never heard much talk about copolymers. Anyone want to fill me in?

a copolymer line is usually a 2 part line. a mono core with some other substance on the outside. I am quite familiar with the Gamma lines as I am on their prostaff... The Gamma copoly has a mono core and after the extruding process it is run through Gamma radiation. It realigns the long string carbon molicules. The end product is a line that casts better, holds knots better and is more limp.

Why would you use a copoly over a mono?.. usually a copoly has better abrasion resistance. and slightly less streth over a pure mono. Floro is a whole idfferent ballgame. 100% florois usually much more expensive.. stretches less than both copoly and mono and it sinks.. where the other lines float. Floro is also more invisable in water.

I tried Co-Polymers as a snell for live bait rigging a couple of years ago. Now that's all I use for snells or slip float snells. I tested the heck out of it and I have every confidence in abrasion resistance and knot strength.

Thanks guys.

Deitz, you said Gamma copolymer has a mono core but is it just radiated mono or does it have a florocarbon or other type of coating similiar to floroclear?

Would you know if the density is the same as mono, closer to florocarbon or somewhere in the middle?

I got some 10 lb. I was thinking of using on cranks and 14 lb. for pitching jigs and plastics.

its listed as a co-poly, but I cant tell you if the other part is floro or not... As far as density... I have no clue.. its very limp, casts very well, holds knots like a dream, and stronger than #^@&%#!

I use 10 lb on my cranks... and cant think of a time where I lost a fish due to a break.. which included a few 40" muskies.... I went with 17 for pitching jigs, and couldnot believe how limp it was.. I had a few friends try and guess what pound test it was sitting on my rod, most guessed it was 12-14lb...

Turn Up- if your going to go to the SportShow, look me up at the Thorne Brothers Booth(I'll be there thursday/friday evening and all day sat/sun)... I'll bring you to the gamma both and make you a believer! wink.gif

Thanks again Deitz. I havnt used it yet but from all the good things Ive heard about Gamma line I just had to give it a try.

I first saw Gamma 2 years ago at the Duluth Sports Show. Couldnt believe what I was hearing so I had them give me a mini spool to try out. I told them if I liked it I would buy some more. Well I have since purchased 3 spools and I really like the knot strength. I have used it on some of my Crawler Harnesses and have a trolling rod rigged with it. So far I have nothing bad to say about it except its a bit pricey. Most good stuff is though.

I first tried Gamma last year because I received a small sample spool. I was very impressed with how limp yet abrasion resistant the line was. I'm going to go with on most of my rods this year.

The Gamma rep gave me a demo vs the Suffix line. Based simply on feel and a strength test, I was sold. The "buy two get one free" deal they have at the show also helped sell me.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.