Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyejim

READ THIS ARTICLE:

19 posts in this topic

I forgot to mention that this would be a great website to direct people towards who don't think that its safe to eat fish out of the river. If the river is going to be cleaned up, we need to spread the word that the water quality has improved greatly in the past couple of decades. There are a lot of organizations out there that are fighting for increased funding for the Clean Water Legacy Act as well as CREP, and others. Funding is needed for these programs if we want to see a cleaner MN River. Just remember, if more people are educated about the river and know that they can make a difference, we can all push for a common cause, a cleaner Minnesota River. -Thats my rant for the day smile.gif

Where's the sauger they say Dtro is holding? They must of put in the wrong photo or something. I see a Channel and a Eye.

The Mn River is defiantly getting healthier but its still one of most polluted bodies of water in the entire state and some groups say the entire nation. It still isn’t very safe to eat fish out of the river. If it was they wouldn’t have advisories for it. I'm not saying you can’t or shouldn’t just that it would be foolish to say that its completely safe. Especially in the spring when the higher water has churned up the sediment where alot of the pollutants have come to rest. Not to mention all the spring run off. Almost 1/3 of the entire state drains into the Mn River and most of that is through farm county.

Mankato Paddling and Outings Club organizes a spring river clean up every year. Not sure when it is this year but if you would like to help do something for the river this would be a great place to start.

We have a long way to go but I am hopeful that someday the river will be something all Minnesotans can be proud of.

That's an awfully big ugly looking sauger grin.gif

Also, not a walleye in the other pic.....that's a sauger

I like the looks of that unidentified guy's fish the best. I'll trade ya? grin.gifgrin.gif

Maybe he should change his name to unidentified30. laugh.gif

I was just coming on here to post this article. Looks like someone beat me to it! I would say that the river is definitely cleaner than it was before... I do eat fish from it regularly, but nothing too big, especially predator fish. Freshwater drum are still my favorite meal!

QUOTE: "most people can eat an unlimited number of under-15-inch walleyes - the most prized game fish in the river"

I am surprised that no one here has commented about this Quote shocked.gifgrin.gif

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

I thought the prized fish was Mr Flathead, the king of the river.

After a closer look at pic #2 I now see the spot on the dorsal fin.

As much as I like catching and eating walleyes, I still have yet to see a 50lber. Now thats a prized fish!

Quote:

I am surprised that no one here has commented about this Quote
shocked.gifgrin.gif

Thats fine, there are no catfish in the Minnesota River.

None! Don't even try, you are wasting your time! tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I am surprised that no one here has commented about this Quote
shocked.gifgrin.gif

Thats fine, there are no catfish in the Minnesota River.

None! Don't even try, you are wasting your time! tongue.gif

Good thing there are lots of carp then smirk.gif

yep all the cats moved to the mississipi. i'd advise people to target there. the minnesota is all carp.

in the 49 years i have fished the minnesota river ,i have only caught one catfish...i ate and died three days later from delayed catfish poisoning...be very afraid.....

Who the heck goes to the minnesota for cats? You must be out of your mind!

carp and sheepies thats it. i just checked the other day and thats all we found.

Unidentified Man? Geez, that sounds kinda scary...I'm glad it was a fishing article and not on channel 5 or something!

Terry looks eager as usual grin.gif

Hey Dark30,

One of those pics looks like you. "Unidentified Man", when they post like that, kinda makes it sound like that person was hanging around a girls locker room door or something to the afect. Nice fish!