Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KOBANON

shad dyeing

17 posts in this topic

There seems to be alot dead and dying shad around lately, b4 it clouded up about 30 of them kicked it together for no appearant reason. I don't recall this happening in years past any theorys? similar observations?

There's a some dead on P4 as well. The seagulls and eagles loved it though. Some were about to die next to the surface kicking a bit still. Later in the day towards dusk I heard a big splash 20 feet from us and some larger fish must've grabbed one of them dieing shad next to the surface. Of course I was jigging confused.gif

The river has shad die offs every late winter. I think they haven't been so bad the last few years because of the mild winters, but otherwise it's very typical. I believe read's landing has the largest population of wintering bald eagles in such a small area than anywhere else in the country...I would imagine the shad have everything to do with that.

The die off is normal. Most of what were seeing is the dead guys that were froze and now thawed from alot of the backwater ice! Theres still quite a few kickers out there too and were olny seeing a small fraction of whats really in the river. Plenty of food for some grin.gif

I think the die off is larger this year either because there was a large boom in shad numbers last year and/or the river being lower than normal.

I'd agree with the boom in the shad population. I was on lake pepin last summer and the numbers of shad swimming around was unreal!!! So it's best for the river that there is an even bigger die off this year.

KOBANON, is Watergate open for launching a boat. Any ice?

Thanks.

Hidden Falls and Watergate are open. grin.gif

wow if watergates open thats pretty fast i havent been there 4 a while as im staying around st paul park this season. sorry i'll be over there later to get the mail and will take a look at the launch while there.

RE shad = this is actually natural???? i've lived onthis river since 99 and i've never seen this b4 there dsroping like flys...

Quote:

Hidden Falls and Watergate are open.
grin.gif

With lots of ice and debris on the way if it hasn't got there already.

Fox 9 News had a good story on the Minnesota flooding at Shakopee/Chaska/Jordan right now. The river was solid ice chunks and debris and really raging.

Careful out there guys, lots of junk coming. Lots!

Its coming from up here to, solid ice flows and debris this morning on the river up here in Elk River

I just crossed the river on hwy 52 today and there were a few small scattered ice chunks floating around.

The shad die because they can not handle abrupt changes in water temperature. In the spring when the water temps start to warm quickly on those hot days like we had last week, the shad die and you'll see them floating all over the place.

GoggleEye

have any of u guys ever caught the shad and used them for bait? i am new to the area and just trying to get as mych info as i can.

Quote:

have any of u guys ever caught the shad and used them for bait? i am new to the area and just trying to get as mych info as i can.

Yes. Very, very good catfish bait around these parts.

whats the best way to catch them? cast net?

Quote:

The shad die because they can not handle abrupt changes in water temperature. In the spring when the water temps start to warm quickly on those hot days like we had last week, the shad die and you'll see them floating all over the place.

GoggleEye

Yeap... you are correct. Shad cannot handle abrupt sudden changes in water temp & season with low disolved oxygen levels.