Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Minnesota River 1st Timer

14 posts in this topic

I've only mildly considered fishing the minnesota river over the years. If I were to take my boat out there this summer, where would be a good place for a 1st timer such as myself to start out at? Species aren't a major concern, but if I had to pick I'd be going after white bass, walleyes, and catfish. All I need is some simple pointers and info on the area. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

First off launch down stream of were you want to go. Any boat troubles, it easier to float down stream than up. If I were you and you were me, launch in old Mississippi on water road just west of swing bridge (St Paul, Lilydale area. Then head up river until you hit the mouth of Minnesota. It is a couple of miles on your left, you can not miss it. Its very scenic and fun. Plus also the Mississippi is easier river to start with. Do to all the barge traffic, bottom depth is very steady through out river. You can run wide open with out too much worry of hitting bottom. I perfer the mouth of the Minnesota for the best area for fishing anyways. Good luck.

SHACKBASH

I was thinking of something farther upstream on the minnesota. I'm eager to explore new territory.

What kind of boat do ya have? Does it have Pwr Tilt Trim?

I would reccomend launching from the 35W ramp and go upstream from there. It's wider, deeper due to the barge traffic. Also explore during the day light hours 1st, plus watch out for barge traffic. If you venture out at night, a good 1millions pwr spot light is a must.

Good luck the river is a great fishery.

I have a 14 footer with a 7.5 hp motor. I'm not worried about depth or barge traffic. I'm quite experienced in river fishing, I fish the croix and snake, and vermillion religiously. I just know nothing about the minnesota, would love to give it a try and see what I catch.

OIC.....

sounds like ur rig can get into some pretty skinny waters then. If that's the case, you might want to venture from Shakopee on upstream.

See if ya can track down Dennis Steele, pick his brain and you'll be set.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I may get some exploring done this summer.

JB-

With a boat like that, you could work Shakopee all the way up to New Ulm if you wanted to. The truth is, there is not a bad stretch to fish that entire way and there are plenty of boat launches to access the river.

When the river drops mid-summer to fall, you will encounter very shallow runs, 1' and less. Its best to get out early and learn where these "shallower" areas are at. Then you'll know what you'll be able to navigate through when the water drops.

Why stop at new ulm, there is some nice fishing in morton also!

How is the terrain on the river? Any rocks or logs or anything like that? Rip rap shoreline? I only hear about catfish and sometimes walleyes, but never anything else on the minnesota.

Yes all kinds of obstacles on the MN river, and you can catch almost anything, thats what makes it fun!

There is good fishing all over, up and down the river.

the mn's terrain has it all. what is nuts is to make some early high water trips on it and continue through the year til fall and see all the different stuff that pops out as the water level drops. then you get some good ideas as to what you'll fish next year when she's high again.

I have found this to be cool as well!