Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KOBANON

meat eating ducks

9 posts in this topic

Ok I just took th cover off the ol house boat and spent most of the afternoon on deck, I was lucky enough to 4 spot hawks 3 eagles, 2 falcons (one diving over the boat) and 3 instances of ducks fighting over large dead shad and appearing to feed off them. now I suspect they were actually eating the slim off the fish not the meat, but in any case I have never seen such behavior. Has any one else ? Are the ducks evolving into a mighty new super breed of preditors? ok I jest, I tried to get some pics with my cell and binocs but they turned out terrible. Sorry.

I have seen meat eating ducks before. I was Striper fishing on Lake Norfork in Arkansas. We got back to the dock and the guide was cleaning the days catch and throwing the scraps in the water. The ducks[Mallards] would come up and eat all the fish. They were extreemly large ducks.

Yeah, that's not a surprise to me. I've fed mallards nightcrawlers, leeches, and minnows all the time. When I was a little kid I actually caught a mallard while casting a mepps spinner. I casted in his vicinity and he went in for the kill!

Most Ducks eat fish!Atleast divers anyway.cyac grin.gif

It'll only be a matter of time before people start blaming mallards on the downfall of the next great walleye lake. I can see it now.

Lol, the geese are doing it too now. Imaging the devistation they can inflict on the walleyes

Evolution!!!!!!!!!!!!Sh#T is getting crazy these days!!!!

It was probably a merganser or another fish eating duck. smile.gif

Nope plane old Mallards, the same kind people fool hardishly let there kids feed in the parks. Don't feed the wildlife people (unless its a fish)