Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomBow

Lure and bait choices

12 posts in this topic

My wife and I will be joining up with a cousin and aunt and uncle this weekend for our first-this-year ice fishing trip. We are headed to Royal Dutchman to stay and headed out to fish from there. If you'd be willing to let me know which jigs and spoons to bring I'd really appreciate it. We haven't had fish in months and it's about time that we did! Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks and Best of Luck to you and yours.

My top choices would be red glow ju-ju's, orange glow buckshot rattle spoon, Red glow rattlin varmit, Red glow gold jiga bit, Red glow doodle bug, Halographic image on a rattle spoon, Gold gemin eye, Red glow hammerd gold back gemin-eye. Under a bobber, This very important, Last weekend my buddie set his bobber stick this way an smashed decent fish, Plain red hook, split shot ten inches up from hook, with a mosher foam bobber set a foot off the bottom. Chubs, chubs, chubs. Good luck Boar

Boar, I'm with you all the way to the chubs! Give me shiners or send me bowling!

Tom, when you grab that red rattle varmit, grab a white one (green glow) also. I think most days the green has a bit of an edge during the day but the red is hot from 3PM on. The small size is my favorite.

JR's (I think) is making a rattle jig that's about half the size of the small varmit & has been my go-to for a few weeks. Doesn't hurt to put a bit bigger treble on them, but I do that with about everything anyway. They worked well yesterday. Give a call before you come & I'll tell you where I'm catching.

What ? no chubs doug? Man we had a over a hundred fish weekend from LP to 16 an could'nt buy a fish on a shinner. I guesse it's what they want when they want it, no doubt we play by their rules. Later boar

Thanks to all who responded, Guess I'll be hitting the tackle shop on the way up. I'll e-mail you directly Doug for more info. Best of luck to all, should be a great weekend!

Doug yes they are JR's new rattling spoons I got all the sizes and colors, fatheads are doing just as well as shiners, the bite is still going strong for most. the bay is doing great now but the limit changed so your only allowed 2 now under 19 1/2" in the bay and the river, very good chance for a big fish picture. someone brought in their cam phone showed me one almost 32" today from the bay.

Doug, are shiners still available or will it be fat heads? We will be getting there late on Friday night and going over to LP. Bringing the better half along this time so I need to catch something. She still thinks we stop at Morey's in Brainerd on the way back after the trip. smile.gif

Swabby

whos got a good selection of JR's. Boar

Terry,

Yes shiners are available but according to Boar a mix is advisable. Never stop 5 bucks short of a good fishing trip.

Thought maybe "Pop" was making you bring him back but this ones for the Mrs. eh? You better put her on fish!

Boar,

Looks like Steve at Log Cabin is set up with JR's stuff.

Boar, that shinner deal.. last time I was up there we could not get a bite on shinners only on chubs, but every fish we cleaned was full of shinners... how odd is that... maybe they are getting board with shinners.. wink.gif

It's always different it seems like, I called my freind who was back on 16 Wens. an fish were hitting shinners, like doug says a good mix is a cheap investment. Hmmmm... How many slow days could have been avoided if a guy just changed the minnow. Boar

Just to make sure I read you right, the daily limit is now 2 only for Walleye and Sauger and they have to be under 19.5"? Just making sure I know the limit so I don't break the law. Thanks and Best of luck to all!