Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

crewdog

Just wondering if I have a shot at getting out on sunday evening. Anyone know if there are some plowed roads going out either from the public access or CJ's. thanks

crewdog

guess i have to respond to my own question...All I've found out is that there is a road plowed out from CJ's for the bike racing. anybody have any more info? like how far it went past or if the snowmobiles have flattened things down enough for a wheeler. How about any other north metro lakes?

Come on folks I need my ice fishing fix.

crw

BDR

sorry crew, haven't been out. Don't have any info for the area. I would get out the phone book and start callin bait shops in the area.

crewdog

been there and done that. not much info coming out. might be an exercise in futility, but i have a pass from the mrs. so i'm outta here. If all else fails vados says there is a road on chisago. but still gotta give it a whirl on rush tonight

TRZ

I was on E. Rush yesterday, got stuck at the boat launch(Stupid move) underestamated the snow depth. You can drive out from the resort for 3$, but you really can't get off of the road at all. Bite was very slow compred to pre snowfall. Not much packed down and alot of water under snow-pretty terrible conditiopins right now.

crewdog

waited until the bike races wrapped up and followed the only road avail. did manage to catch some fish in an area i haven't fished before (kinda weird being the only 2 souls on the ice after 8pm). TRZ is right; the conditions are pretty harsh right now. Well gotta work for a stretch anyway. Hopefully catch some action in a week or 2. Thanks to whoever plowed the only road

westrush

No plow at the landing on west as of sunday it looks like someone might have went in very messed up looking

holepopper

does anybody know if cj's has roads plowed now. want to get out there friday but dont feel like diging out the truck all day just trying to get out

Bandersnatch

This is two days old, from Rush Point Store:

3-7-07 Ok, questions about roads on the lake...West Access apparently has a track that big trucks can take, but is basically pretty screwed up...another from CJs, also not so good...FlickaBirds has a narrow road out, but hard to turn around and get back in, snowbanks to high and close, so if too many vehicles come out, can't get turned around...That's what we are hearing, have not been out..too busy....

holepopper

I DID MAKE IT OUT LAST NIGHT. FISHED FROM 4-8 WAS PRETTY SLOW FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. THERE IS 1 ROAD OUT OF CJ'S THAT JUST HAPPEN TO GO WHERE I WANTED TO FISH BUT ALOT OF WATER ON THE ROAD. WE CAUGHT 15 PERCH 25 CRAPPIES ONLY 8 KEEPERS

walleyecheeks

Heading out there on Tues. morning. Just how deep is the water on the roads. Would like to be on east but if its hairy I'll go to west. So any update would be great.

holepopper

some spots 5-6 inches but that was friday and other spots none but im sure now wet everywhere

KrappieKiller

Hey walleyecheeks,

Did you make it out to Rush today? How were the roads? I was thinking about heading out there tomorrow depending on the conditions, so I would appreciate an update. thanks

ole matty

wonderin whats conditons look like up there now? wld like to make it out tmw want to try different lakes.. i m sure walk out is safer than driving right??

thanks

ole matty

KrappieKiller

I was out on East Rush on Tuesday, and it was pretty sloppy. Talked to a guy at a resort and he said there were some big cracks along the main road, and he told us to make our own path. I talked to a couple of friends who were out on Rush yesterday (Thursday), and they said that the slush had firmed up and they were still driving out. That's the most recent information I have. Good Luck, and stay safe.

JimP

I fished East Rush on Saturday. Some trucks were driving out from the Bar, but we took a wheeler and a trailer. The shore ice at the public landing is good for ATVs, but a little shaky for trucks.

Good Luck

Thomas

I drove a car out last saterday without a problem. Not sure I would do it again as the access by the shore is rough. Ice is still about 24" on the lake.

Icemano

I was out this afternoon fishing with a few buddies by crane Island. Caught a few perch, sunnies, and crappies. Fishing was pretty dang slow. Ice was still at 22 inches but starting to get soft and honeycombed. Still plenty of ice for atv's. The shore line by the public access is starting to open up a bit but can still easily jump up on the ice with the atv's. This is definitely going to be the last weekend driving atv's.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• cookie129
      My no snow slow snow dance started off as rain? Guess I made a mistake and did a rain dance. Cleaning off the trucks last night I would say we got 3 inches far less then they predicted 9 to 11. The winds picked up last night and are howling right now. The snow was wet and heavy to start so I'm hoping its not blow in my landing to bad.
       Barny from Kellier is coming up today to do a little welding for us before we pull the house's off the shore line. Montana needs a hook re welded and the metal grade step repaired, Florida also need some work on the step.
       I got the radiator ordered for white Lightning aka Cheyanne. I'm hoping it arrives before Saturday and I can get Devon to install it while there here. We also have a lite bar for blue thunder that Devon gave me this summer. I noticed the wipers quit working on the red baron and we will have to check that out as there kinda important out there on the lake.
       Josh from Annandale is running a snowbear out there this year. He has a helper Travis that was out there yesterday guiding some customers. I talk to him briefly before the rain and snow started and he landed a 16 incher while I was talking to him, kinda curious how he did after that.
       I expect quite a few rentals will be working there way out on the lake starting Wednesday, my plans are to check my area one more time before I make the move onto the lake. I'm hoping to find 14 inches of ice the whole route so will see how that goes.
       I'm sure Buddy Hillmen will start dragging his road this morning if there's good visibility. He like to get that snow off asap to make the ice thicker on the road. Plus with a good wind a lot of it catches the air and its much less plowing.
       I know I have said it many times but it is one heck of a road and he takes a tremendous amount of pride in building it. Its a lot of work, a lot of ware and tare on the trucks, but I also enjoy being part of his operation.
       Crazy but I have heard and saw pics of a few. " More then 3" elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies this  year. Deb and Jim did not fair to well sunday fishing. I think it was there first time on red lake. They did manage to get two in the time they fished and also missed a couple. They came off the lake before dark to be on the safe side.
       If you decide to come fish upper red lake in the near future please check in with the access resorts. With the snow cover they will have information Of any areas to avoid since they have all been checking condition daily. Remember common sense and if it does not look right it is probably not. Do not try and go to saved waypoints un tell we have weeks of ice making temps. Its just a fish. There's plenty of fishable ice that's average 10 inches. And the last Thing is remember as the old timer Dave told me" ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES US NOTHING!, NOTHING! City: waskish
      Remote Name: 209.191.208.74
      Date: 03/11/2003
      Time: 11:30:31 AM Upper_Red_Lake To all fishermen, If you spend 1/2 hour reading the past reports on here you should have all the knowledge you need to find those elusive crappies. Come and enjoy the lake , give every one plenty of room, Please bring your garbage home. Who ever left the 12 pack of empty bud cans I picked them up for you. Where do you think this garbage goes?I will tell you it ends up on the bottom of the lake or on shore so please take it home with you.This lake is pristine lets all keep it that way. THANKS COOKIE
    • leech~~
      I remember that video, pretty darn cool! 
    • leech~~
      Man you can really see the standards of this site of have dropped.  A few years ago we were talking over $80-$100 Thorne Brothers Custom made Ice Rods.  Now a $9.99 dollar rod is the talk for the forum!  We need to bring back the Rich folks!
    • slammer
      I think we should start a Go fund me for Cropduster to take his plane up and give us some pics. lol  He did it a few years ago but not lately.  Its pretty cool veiws from above when ice is forming.  I wonder if he is still lurking around here?
    • EyeChsr
      was out tonight, 6-8 in out from the dnr landing. wheelers and a couple perms out. still open water out in front of Peters resort on the south shore. It starts out a couple hundred yards from shore and runs to the north- northwest for a long ways. some of the spots that were open earlier this week have skimmed, be careful out there if you see different looking ice stop and check!!
    • JIvers
      Thanks for the report--about what I figured, which is why I stayed down here in Iowa this weekend. I am fairly optimistic about getting on the ice in southeast or south central Minnesota next weekend; whether I am on a lake around Faribault or Waseca, or one of my old backwater haunts on the Mississippi remains to be seen. Maybe Clear Lake, Iowa. Whatever I do I will post my results.
    • JerkinLips
      9-11am was best time both days.
    • littlebear
      If you are willing to go a little further into Canada, I would recommend Hollinshead Resort, a few hours north of Thunder Bay.  The resort is the only one on the lake, and in June offers excellent Walleye Fishing, as well as some dandy Northern Pike.  It's somewhere you can drive to as well. 
    • monstermoose78
      Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around
    • Wanderer
      I’m still seeing very random thicknesses all over.  In the past few days I’ve been from St. Cloud to Winnie and have seen vehicles on the ice and open water on the same lake. I’m in Little Falls.  Tonight I checked 2 lakes NW of town.  Both had people fishing.  One looked to be safe for wheeler travel and the other, very near it, still had an open lead and you could see the difference between the first sheet of ice and the second. I hope it doesn’t get covered with snow anytime soon so we can still tell where the changes are. Be safe. Bring floatation and picks.  And don’t drive yet! Ruh ro....