Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrfishing

Sutton Spoons

14 posts in this topic

One of my favorite ways to catch fish in the winter is using my jigging rod with a sutton spoon. This technique of using the fluttering motion and the shine of the spoon has worked well each year. I am curious on how many other anglers use this technique on low, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I can hardly remember the last time I've tied somethinig else on. I buy a dozen each year, and it's all I use really. Good choice!

They are better for structure related fish, that are somewhat active though. I've heard the deep fish over East are pretty scared of them... It is a pretty aggresive presentation, and occasionally it's too much for them when they are really turned off... When the bite is active, they hit them like a ton of bricks... especially the bigger fish going for the whole spoon.

It's not a bobber presentation for sure... you want to actively move this thing. You don't want them reading West river sutton spoon on it... grin.gif

As Bill would say... "Good luck, and hang on"

Wow, sure makes aguy feel special when he starts getting quoted!! grin.gifLOOOL

seriously I have never fished the Sutton Spoon but have heard them mentioned before. Are they available in tackle shops? I've really never looked for them. Glenn at River Bend likes the Phobe spoons also and I found their web site. Thought I might add a few new weapons to the arsenal for the March trip. but then perhaps because I'm fishing over on the East I might be targeting some "wussie" fish frown.gifand they won't work. As stated....Good luck and hang on. Bill

Bill,

Didn't mean to imply you are fishing wussie fish... Things are just less structure related over there, they act the same way over here if you are over deep mud etc... I suspect they might work well in shallow water situations over there, or when you head up to Kights, Starren etc...(they will work there...)

I buy mine at Streiffs in Warroad. They usually order them in for me, but generally have some on hand.

Widetrack: I understand, no offense was taken, my response was meant a joke. LOL Do you know if they would have a web site for the Sutton Spoon mfg? I'll check Sportsmans Whse, Gander and Scheels down here. Keep the snowblower running, things are supposed to get nasty again. Blowing like H down here, no snow yet. Bill

Quote:

Do you know if they would have a web site for the Sutton Spoon mfg?

SuttonSpoons . com

smile.gif

I wouldn't pay that online price... I get them for between 4-5 bucks.

They are kind of hard to come by, and they know what they want for them.

One spoon you spooner guys should check out is Al goldfish, I just recieved my order in the mail an am impressed by how these little babbies look an cant wait to use them on the reefs in march, i bought three gold/red prism an three yellow glow. Later boar

The West River is a great spoon. My last trip up to LOW I had a 28" just hammer it. Bronze on one side and silver on the other seems to work the best for me. Normally have to order them online, but I did see them in Blackduck at that gas station/tackle shop right along the highway. Conoco?....maybe?

Good luck....Gregg

Hanson: Thanks I will go looking at least to see what they look like.

Boar: Do you have a website address for the spoon you referred to? Bill

yepper, www.alsgoldfish.com Ithought they were pretty reasonably priced. I orderd my on Sun. I just recieved them today. Thats quick coming from MA. Boar

I have all different size/shapes gold silver ect...love em down riggin or 3way.....stupid question,but here goes..do you just jig em by themselves in the winter or tip em with a minnow head or ?????were leaving early am so im digging em out of the summer box and giving em a try.will report back after sunday..c63 frown.gif

Tip them with a 1/2 shiner, or whole. Either works. 1/2 is 1/2 price bait in my book, cause tails catch em too.

The West river is the spoon you want, the paper thin flutter spoons will catch fish too, but they are difficult to fish with... They take 5 minutes to get to the bottom, and another 5 to show up on the Vex. Those are more the downrigger spoons.

I must be missing something.....isn't the west river a flutter spoon that is basicaly an oblonged shape instead of the standard long spoon shape? confused.gifMaybe all the west river styles are heavier (thicker)spoons?c63