Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappieDean

Great time with the kids in a Storm!

8 posts in this topic

I took my two oldest kids (8 yr. old boy and 7 yr. old girl) up to LOTW for the first time last weekend. We left New Ulm around 3 pm Thursday and drove up. We got out on the lake Friday morning around 9 am and had a tough time for a couple hours. Then, the snow started around noon and the fish started to snap. We were near our limit by 3 pm.(that included one 13.5 in perch) Saturday, the fishin stayed very good all day. We filled the limit very early that morning, which included my son's giant jumbo perch he caught. It measured right at 15 inches and had some weight to it. We took the measurements and pictures to get a replica made I hope. What an absolute PIG! The biggest perch I've ever seen. (I'm working on a picture) We finished with a grand total of 67 walleye's and saugers combined, 2 perch, 3 eel pout, and a handful of tullies.

The hot colors were green glow and pink. I jigged a 1/8 green Frostee spoon and that really attracted many fish to the area. A couple of glow green and glow pink JB jigs (not very big)outfished gold jigs and also a plain red or gold hook. We fished in 34 feet of water and had very few slow times from 10 am - 4 pm.

The best part about the weekend is that the kids caught 90% of the fish and had an incredible time. What a great connection and memory we made. I would advise all dad's to try it! I would like to thank the great accommodations and service of Gibbins Ice Houses. Sheri/Dan and the crew do a great job and kept me feeling safe during rough weather. I also thank God and the road crews out working so hard for the road conditions on Sunday. What a GREAT TIME!

Good for you CD, It's awsome to make memories like that. Boar

Fishing with the kids, PRICELESS. Thanks for sharing your memories. Bill

Sounds like a blast.

How much snow did they get up there?

care to share what part of the lake you were fishing?

Sounds like a great time!! I'm taking my kids up this weekend can you tell me where you went out of??

Thanks

Good luck fishing!!! grin.gif

Way T.O. knock em' down CrappieDean!!!!

Wow, thats a monster perch! Good for you and the kids!