Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WildBill33

Walleye Retreat

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was recently looking into a place to stay for 2 days in January i was told Walleye Retreat was a good place to go. Has anyone stayed thier and what did you think of it?

Thanks in advance, WildBill

I haven't stayed at Walleye Retreat but I know the people

who own and run the place. It is just fine. The cabins

are pretty new and, from what I have heard, they take care

of their guests. The good thing about LOW is most of the

outfitters and resorters do an excellent job.

Go get em

I've stayed there twice. The cabins are clean and the price is reasonable. The owners are good people. As far as the ice fishing in their area, not the numbers as pine island but I thought the average size was better.

Thanks for the info guys, im pretty new to LOW and wasnt sure were the best fishing is. If i were to fish near pine island were would you guys suggest staying? I was considering just renting a cabin and using our portables, is there good roads to drive out to pine island on our should i just stick with renting a day house from the resort?

Any help is appreciated,

WildBill

Hey Wild Bill

Look at your LOW map. When you fish out of Walleye

Retreat you fish the lake right off of Pine Island

anyway. Especially if you are going to fish with

snowcats and portables.

Lots of names of places get mentioned here and it may

seem like they are hundreds of miles apart when actually

they are pretty much the same place. If you hear talk

of fishing out of Wheelers Point or Adrians or Lighthouse

Gap or Pine or the Morris Point Gap you are in the same

neighborhood and a mile or two away from any of them.

It will be crystal clear by the time you see the lake.

It is an amazing site when you first pop over Pine

Island and see the ice covered lake for the first time.

Have fun

Hey curt,

So if my plan is to stay at a resort and just use our portables, will we be able to drive out to pine island with are vehicles or how else could we go about doing that??

Thanks in advance,

WildBill

There is a plowed road that goes out to and up and over Pine Island. From there other roads branch out in different directions.

WildBill....

If you are staying at the Walleye Retreat you will be central to the fishing grounds on the south shore of Big Traverse Bay. 3 plowed roads are near to you there and any or all of them can offer great fishing during the early ice timeframe depending on the day and whatnots.

To the east about 4 miles you'll find Adrians road, this road takes you across 4 mile bay and over Pine island to the Lighthouse gap area and the 'out infront of Pine' fishing grounds.

Right there near the Retreat you have the Morris Point Resort road. This takes you out front of Morris point, near the westend of Pine area, around whats known as the 'washout' area.

To your west about 6 miles you will find Zippel bay resort and their road, takes you out thru Zbay and onto the pond there.

All 3 of these roads have a network of sideroads and tracks meandering here and there. All 3 areas can provide great fishing in January. 1 area may be better one day.. Another the next.. Or the fish can be snappin, or off, on any given day at all of em.

There are areas off these roads where you do not want to be with a vehicle. Ask at the resorts when you pay your road fee. Pete at the retreat will fill you in for sure on the bite and anything you may need to watch out for.

If you can make it early in January vs. late you may wanna try as the fishing usually kind of slows over that way as the month draws to an end.

Good Luck......fiskyknut

hey fiskyknut, thanks for all th info it looks as if we will be heading up the 14th of january. I was wondering were arnesens resort is located, theres a good possibility we will be staying thier instead.

Thanks in advance, WildBill

Wildbill...Arnesons Rock Harbor lodge, aka Rocky Point resort sits on Rocky point. This is N of Roosevelt at the very end of county road 17. If you're not too familiar with winter fishing up this way I made a post a long time ago titled 'Things to do on the big pond', twas the end of Nov 2001 I typed it. Basic kind of info post about wheres and whens regarding winter fishing up around here. We have pinned it winters past but I don't know if people want it pinned here again? You could use our search function and find it though. You'd probably find some of the info usefull in future trip planning.

Post it up fisky. there is a ton of good info in it. laugh.gif