Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pakrat

Clitherall Lake

3 posts in this topic

First time posting ! Hey everyone !

Thought I might throw one out there about Clitherall Lake . My wife and I have been coming up to Ottertail Co. nearly twice a year ( early June & mid to late Sept. ) for more than 10 years . We have stayed on a few different lakes over time ( Dead , East Battle , now Clitherall ) . We have enjoyed great fishing on all but I guess what my main question is about the walleye fishing on Clitherall . Is the lake considered a good lake for walleye ? I see many people that stay at the same resort as us never put the boat in there and go to other lakes such as Ottertail , Rush & who knows where else . Since registering on this forum I have been reading alot about the different options I would have as far as lakes go ,and the tactics that seem to be recommended and most seem to point to OT . I have attempted one time last June only once but was very windy as I know how it can be there and we opted to try another lake . We try to do alot of the "right things" for the eyes

(trolling cranks , jigging , crawler harness , live rigs ...) but with limited success . Though our trips are done for this year , I just wanted to get some thoughts about Clitherall to keep me thinking ahead for next time up . Good luck to everyone !!

Pakrat, I have fished Clitherall over 30 years. Do a search using "MercMan" and you will come up with a bunch of posts I did regarding fishing this lake. It's a tough lake to fish walleyes and you have to be there at the right time. There is no better lake for clean water and recreation, though. Growing up on the lake, we had a ton of fun swimming, skiing, sailing, and just being on the water.

Thanks Merc for your reply . I have looked over your other posts from before and couldn't agree more with what was being discussed there . We fish quite a bit in the SW area of the lake , and have encountered much the same results . One thing I will say that may have not been so clear in my first messsage was that we have been on the lake now for about 5 years . I just wanted to get a few more walleye from there , but if needed I may try other options that may ( or not ) be better for us . One note I will mention though is that we do keep alot of rock bass , I have an endless pit that wants them any way (more crappie , bass , panfish , northern , perhaps a WALLEYE for me and the wife ).

I did see some things on the smallmouth in the lake , and I can say personally we have caught our share of them . I have caught 2 - 4 Lb. fish and the wife had 2 - 3 Lb. fish . They are there Scenic Point on the north side rock piles . Good luck to everyone again !!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• White-tips
      Thank you very much Outy22! 
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      In no way am I trying to fire up a catch and release vs catch and grease fight.  Admins, please delete any comments like that. I am curious about everyone's thoughts and knowledge on mercury in fish.    It seems Walleye are always the riskiest fish to eat via DNR and MDH surveys but I know the fishing for eyes is such a tradition up here. A lot of walleye are eaten in Minnesota every year as well as Pike and Bass which also can be high in mercury because they are high on the food chain. Does anyone worry about it or is this something that is overhyped? I'm a bit careful where I fish because my wife is pregant and I don't want her eating too much mercury. I'm still kinda new to the state so I trust the knowledge of locals more so than DNR in a lot of situations.    For example, in TN (where I moved from) our DNR says do not eat ANY fish from the Mississippi river. I'd say it's pretty nasty by the time it gets that far south but there are river rats as far down as Louisiana eating catfish and bass all year long and you don't hear of them dying from mercury poisoning or having other effects of it. At least not thay I've heard or read.    I'm very curious to know your opinions on the matter. I don't catch many walleye anyway but I do love eating Pike and other fish. It's so satisfying to work hard for a fresh meal but do I have to continue to be super cautious of what lakes I eat a Pike from? Seems like the closer to the metro, the more dangerous it can be...or is it? Some of the huge lakes up North are full of mercury too. 
    • Mossy19
      Well it end up being 2 broken live well pumps being broken.  The pumps would pump water into the live wells but also be spraying water into the back compartment of the boat.  That's where my water was coming from.  I would like to thank those that replied suggestions back.
    • HugeHogChaser
    • BringAnExtension
    • h8go4s
      This one? http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lake.html?id=31065300   Everything you need to know, paid for by your tax dollars.
    • Juan Grande
      What's the flow like on the Rum, Moose?
    • Avid Angler
      Hi guys and gals,   Does anyone know much about this lake? I don't fish this area of the state. We are looking to stay at Cedar Point Resort for a week. Just want to get to know the lake for what it is.   Is it a bass, northern, pan fish or walleye lake? Or all of the above? The surveys don't look that impressive.   Any good guides in the area?   Thanks.   Avid
    • portageguy
      The bite is on in Trout lake. Remote lake walleye fishing has been good. A leech or crawler has  been producing nice fish. This last week Trout lake has been good for lake trout, walleye and bass. A camper had caught and released a 44 inch pike. Bass fishermen reported 100 fish days.   The Y-store is looking into taking on BWCA permits. Please encourage and support them to do so. 
    • delcecchi
      On many lakes it is possible to rent a boat for a reasonable price.  Or to hire a guide who knows the area and the lakes.