Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thistlekicker

TFO fly rods

6 posts in this topic

anyone own one? which model? Like it?

I do not, but I've heard more good things than bad about them and have considered buying one. They seem to be very good rods for a reasonable price, and I think that's what Lefty was shooting for when he "made" that rod.

I do not own one, but would consider an 8 or 9wt TiCr or TiCr X rod for warmwater fishing. They look prety nice. I agree with Randy that Lefty would not have endorsed the rods if they were junk...

I have fished them a couple times and really like them for the price. I almost bought a 9 ft 7 wt for smallie fishing this summer and a couple of my good buddies fish TFO exclusively.

since they are IM6 blanks, I would assume they would be in the moderate to moderate/fast actions. If you're looking for something in a fast to extra fast action, I'd look for something with a higher modulus or even a composite like those boron rods. you will obviously spend more money on those rods as well.

an IM6 rod would have plenty of beef and give as well for chucking out those big streamers. They cast fairly decent in lighter weights, you just have to slow down your cast a little if you're used to casting with faster actions...

I've got one. A 10wt "Professional" series. It's med/fast action and works just fine. It's not the prettiest thing out of the box, has a sort of flat thin finish and overall pretty plain. But seems very sturdy and competent.

Funny thing about that rod, It has thousands of miles on it but has never caught a fish. I bought it for occasional shots at permit, barracuda, or tarpon on the flats. Permit need a very light floro leader and a crab. Cuda need strong wire and a needlefish. Tarpon need a bimini twist for abrasion resistance and a tarpon feather.

I've encountered all of the above and with very rare exception had the wrong rig for the fish encountered. When the stars align and I have it right, the picky buggers don't eat it. I can confirm that cuda, tarpon, and permit on the flats are way more picky than Mr. bonefish. Each species has very different retrieve and placement requirements. Sooner or later my skills will catch up with that rod and the catch will be a proud trophy indeed.

Sooo, I'm sooo glad I didn't spend more for the rod. And I'm soo glad I have it because being a gear guy, I just wouldn't be happy on the flats without it. Strange but true.

Craig