Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyejim

How much did my flathead weigh???

4 posts in this topic

Last night turned out to be really good for me. I went out fishing with my father and a friend of mine. It was raining on and off. We were having a good time already, after a few small cats and a gar, but then something big hit. After a long fight I pulled in a nice flathead. It measured 40 1/2 inches. I'm thrilled! I've never caught one that big before, and I didn't have a scale. Of course, I released her. Does anyone know what it might have weighed? The film is at the photo shop. I'll post a picture later this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm thinking it must have been at least 30 or 35 pounds???

We were discussing this topic last night out in the boat.

Once a Flat reaches 40". You can pretty much throw out any weight calculations or assumptions. A key factor is the girth measurement. If you have that I'm sure we could make an educated guess within 5lbs. But with length only, it's difficult. I've seen 35lb 40" and 25lb 40" fish. I think it's pretty safe to say it was at least 25lbs.

Great fish! Hope you can share the pic after it's developed.

After catching that one, your probably ready to change you username wink.gif

Thanks dtro. Well here 's the pic- my first hog! scan0003.jpg I didn't get a girth on that one, but I went out to the same spot on Saturday night. I caught another that was 42.5 inches. We got a few gar and smaller flatheads too- another great trip! The girth was just over 24 inches when I held it up. Any good guess on the weight? All I know is that I'm definately hooked on catfishing and I'm definately going to go buy a good scale! cool.gif

Nice fish mate! Welcome to the dark side!