Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dcfwc

Muskie Virgin

6 posts in this topic

Goodday LOTW,

I will be fishing the Lake on Sept. 25 with a friend. Neither of us have targeted muskies before, but they will be our interest on that day. I have a medium heavy 6' baitcast rig that I will have to make due with. It is strung with 20# fireline. I have some giant white spinnerbaits with mogambo 6" grub trailers. I was planning on picking up two more baits to take with me. What would be my best options? This may be a one time thing so I don't want to spend too much. Usually, when I go north it's for smallies and more smallies anything else is a bonus. This year my fishing partner, being the salesman that he is, talked me into trying the muskie thing. Now I'm pretty stoked about the idea but need some direction... Anyways, were going for a one day guided musky hunt in Morson(Sabaskong Bay). Keeping in mind my limited tackle, what baits would you recommend?

Godspeed,

dcfwc

Musky Virgin,

This would be a good question to post in the muskie forum. For the time of year you'll be there, you may find feast or famine regarding muskies. Water will likely be less than ideal and it'll probably be a little early for the fall cisco run. However, don't let that get you down- you can still have a dynamite day out there despite those two drawbacks.

If I had to pick two baits for that time of year up there, I'd probably start with a cisco pattern Jake or Grandma and a Suick (actually, I prefer a similar bait called the "Big Daddy"). Both of these style baits have caught a ton of fish up there. Also, my number one choice would be just what you are starting with- a spinnerbait.

I would definitely rethink your line choice- I'd go with 65 or 80 lb PowerPro. Changing brands isn't as important as you upgrading your line diameter- you need bigger, tougher line that what you mentioned you have. For a one shot deal, your rod will be fine.

Good luck!

Hey Scoot!

Thanks for the reply. What colors for spinnerbaits would you recommend. I heard orange and black is a good scheme. I have, like I said, white ones and I'm sure they'll catch fish, but would white be considered a hot color. I hear a lot about power pro, I'll try it in 65#. I chose this site to get some lake specific info, but my next post will go that route. Thanks again, dcfwc.

Actually, for that time of year my number one choice would be a white or white/silver/black spinnerbait. Next choice would be orange/yellow/gold. #3 is orange and black. All that being said, I'm not really a big color guy- I believe more times than not color doesn't matter much (but that's a discussion for a different place and time).

This might be more than you wanted to get, but I'd have with me: 1) the spinnerbait you already have, 2) a different color spinnerbait (see suggestions above), 3) a Jake, 4) a Big Daddy, 5) a LowRider, 6) a Shallow Invader, and 7) a Depth Raider. You should be able to do everything you need to and more with those baits. Don't worry too much about colors for these lures- get some natural, some bright, some dark, etc.

You said your trip was guided, right? Who's guiding you out of where? Any idea what area you'll be fishing in (more specific than Morson area, I mean)?

Scoot,

We'll be using Lenny out of Red Wing. Very reasonable price and, from what I hear, more guide than we'll be able to take advantage of for Muskies(since we're rookies). Don't know the specifics of where we'll be. I've not had a chance to see a map, my buddy's handling the logistics(I'm just along for the fish) grin.gif. I'm sure we'll be launching from Red Wing. We'll be covering some water so if you have some hotspots you want to share...(e-mail below). How's the population of Smallmouth in the Sabaskong area?

Thanks for everything! dcfwc dcfwc@geneseo.net

Nope, no hot spots to share! grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Smallies- the area you'll be in will be lousy with them. At that time of year they're likely to be moving out to the deeper reefs. If you get on them, that can be a ton of fun in the fall.

Have fun and good luck.