Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ufatz

September troutin'??

8 posts in this topic

Smoked out of Montana (cough cough) so gotta fish closer to home. Will likely be anchoring up the Silver Bullet at Maplewood CG on the 18th or so. Any constructive suggestions for crippled up fat old guy? Skip the general, vague, generic stuff and just give me the specifics to your favorite prime water. HA! Thanks.

Do you mean Maplewood State Park up 'dere by Alexandria'ish?

Not sure about the troutin' up in those parts.

I'll be in the WW vicinity this coming weekend, back on the water after a bit of a respite. smile.gif

Maplewood in Pelican Rapids? I haven't been down there since May. I'll probably head back there in a few weeks when water temps begin to drop and the fish make their way out of the deep spot. Also, the heavy weed growth around shore will have started to subside by then. Unless you brign a float tube, pontoon, or rent a canoe there, I'd water a little while to fish from shore unless you want to get frustrated. Snails are the major forage in that lake. I've been tempted to tie up a snail imitation but I've heard a mixed bag as to their success. I'd stick to standard stillwater patterns, like chironomids, bloodworms, etc....

Water levels are down in these areas; you may want to check out the Straight R in Osage for the fall brown run. Water levels are still fishable upstream closer to straight lake.

Good Luck.

Sorry you guys.....I meant to say Maple SPRINGS camground near PRESTON!!!

Jeeez....this gettin' old is becoming annoying. Maple Springs CG on the 18th I think, unless WXR goes all bad.

Check out Camp Creek as well as the Root through and around Preston. There are some good holes to be found in there, and some stretches of Camp that are easily walked and pasture that makes for easy casting.

Good luck with the fishing and weather!

Say, while I'm at it, I'd like to see if there really are SMBass in the area. Any stretch of the Root better than another for some fiesty smallies? There are lots of them around here of course but if the troutin' gets all bad I could still toss something larger for SMB's.

Probably won't get to Maple Springs until Mon. night or early Tues.

It's looking a little snarly up this way.

I was born and raised in the Lanesboro/Preston area. It is an awesome spot for the flyfishing. Fall is when the big ones start coming too. As far as smallie though, there aren't any around that particular area. I've heard (but never fished) that there is some really good smallie fishing around the Spring Valley area. Good Luck, you will love the area.

Thanks fellas. Put off the trip until 9/26 or so. Too miserable down there for me right now! I don't DO crappy weather troutin' any more! HA!