Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

Amazing River

3 posts in this topic

Hanson and I had this discussion last night while sitting in the boat.

After now seeing most of the stretches of this river from Mankato to St. Paul, a guy could spend the entire summer or even longer on each 5-10 mile stretch and not only have great fishing, but still not have it all quite figured out.

It's really fun to see a new stretch of river and use previous knowledge to try to decipher where the fish will be.

You got that right Darren!

The Minnesota River is so wildly different from one end to the other. One would generally believe that the river just gets bigger and wider as it flows downstream but that isn't necessarily the case. Alot of that variation is a result of the land the river cuts through. Some stretches of river have incredible sand bars yet sand doesn't collect like that in other areas. Some stretches have a lot of rock, some don't. Some areas are congested with wood from shore to shore, other areas there is not much wood to be found. Some areas have fantastic and incredibly steep cut banks.

We were alongside a cutbank last night that plummeted into 20' of water only 10' away from the bank. There was a good amount of wood present also. My mouth was watering but we didn't fish this spot last night since we wanted to fish some creek mouths.

And the cool thing is, flatheads utilize all these different types of cover and structure as well.

i agree with you guys. the river differs so much every mile you go. there are some spots that look just like others and some that are one of a kind. and whats better than having your own peace of heaven for a night with friends, right here on earth? we had the misfortune of the motor dying on us this summer and didn't get it fixed. i was looking forward to seeing new stretches and exploring the river more than last year and the year before. the year went by so fast it seems like yesterday when we were perched on spots that are now a good climb up to from the water's edge. i think this winter it will be time to save those dollars and get a boat of my own. this way come april/may i can get out and float around a bit. shore spots have produced some nice fish this summer and the last few years as well but there is so much water that i haven't seen.