• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kayak Fishing Minnesota River

I had never kayaked before, but in late October I bought a Kayak intending to rig it up for fishing next year. I never expected to be kayaking in Minnesota into late November, but I’ve floated from 7 Mile to St. Peter three times and also been out to several local lakes. My only experience on the river is these three float trips in November (2005). I was surprised at the water clarity, but expect this is not typical.

Is anyone else on the forum using a kayak in the river or on lakes near St. Peter? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome Blue Kayak,

I don't use a kayak, but the river is popular for canoeing and kayaking. Even in the lower stretches where I fish around Chaska to Jordan area, I would bet that half of the craft seen are canoes and kayaks.

I do canoe it once and awhile, but am the lazy type who prefers a little mechanical power to push me around. wink.gif

Water clarity is usually pretty good in the fall and gets better as the water drops late in the season. This makes the fall fishing really good to outstanding.

This season the river is a little higher than usual,making it a little less clear. Wait till you see it in a low water season.

Quote:

but am the lazy type who prefers a little mechanical power to push me around.
wink.gif

A little mechanical power? That my folks is the understatement of the year wink.gif

Understatement indeed! grin.gif Here's a little clip of what dtro is talking about...

090427.jpg

Kayak, Welcome to FM! I have a couple of small "float" boats but the idea is the same....being mobile. Not needing a boat ramp can be a big plus. I spend most of my hours fishing in boots but when the spot is out of reach from shore or you just want a nice quiet float down a river, that's the ticket. The only problem is getting back to point A.

The water clarity is very good right now as it usually is this time of year. However, after the spring rains and icemelt occurs, things can change overnight on the ole Minnesota Muddy! Happiness is a May-June without the river up in the trees! Be very careful in a small boat in high fast water conditions....or any boat for that matter. During high water, use your kayak to get up into the creek beds. You may even want to get out and cast from the bank in some situations.

One time I was fishing Mudeyes down your way late at night. Somebody dropped this guy and his kayak off by the river bank. After a quick "Hi, How are ya", he put in and headed off down river through the fog. It looked like a lot of fun although I think my body would look like a backward "S" for a week after spending hours in a kayak like that.

As far as your other question about electronics, You probably don't have room for a whole bunch of gear...especially a battery. I have an old "Silent Sixty" flasher that runs on those square batteries and is good and light. I'm only looking for "fishy" areas, not the fish. The river is so loaded with other fish and your fancy graphs don't tell you what kind they are anyway. Best to find the good looking areas and just try fishing.

Maybe not in your case, but using GPS has a big advantage on the river if your in the heavy fog. Getting back to the ramp or just moving after dark in the fog can be very dangerous. Knowing ahead of time which way you need to go and knowing where the dangerous places are should be a priority. Me? I would rather stumble back through he brush to my vehicle...maybe just need a compass.

Hi Dark, thanks for the tips. I could probably get an old flasher on eBay. I hadn't thought of all the other types of fish you'd flash on the river.

I am learning to be cautious after capsizing on my first trip (November 4th -- lost my best outfit and my boots. Fortunately, my paddle was leashed to the kayak or I'd have been walking several miles in stocking feet.

I was drifting along in the main current with a heavy jig and 35# test line. I got snagged again (probably the 20th time). I was using wire hooks that usually bent out before the line broke, but the sinker head must have snagged. Before I knew it, the kayak drifted broadside into a tree and that was it. Now I look for quiet areas to fish, or get out on the bank.

I wouldn't want to kayak the river in the dark or fog, even if that's when fishing is best. It's hard enough to see the snags and bars in the daytime.

Maybe I should have gotten a blaze orange kayak instead of a blue one. Hope you guys in fast boats look out for me. Looks like fun.

Been Kayak fishing for years, but have yet to try the river.

Set my kayak up for fishing this spring with a few mods to

make it easier for my son and myself. Added a trolling motor

to make it easier to get around and some gadgets to make it

easier to fish from. maybe this spring I`ll give it try out

here around New Ulm.

100_1956a.jpg

100_1945a.jpg

100_1944a.jpg

100_1957a.jpg

Won`t be bringing my anchor along for any river fishing, heard to many horror stories about them sinking small boats

caught in snags. Rod holder to won`t be used unless on shore.

Ah ha!

Blake caught in the act!

Jim, that is SWEET!!!

Very cool set up you got. Looks like everything is right at your fingertips.I have a buddy who fishes in a similar rig.

He even put in pedestal seating. I can tell you he has a better sense of balance than I do!

You don't have to worry too much about most of the guys here on this forum. They're pretty courteous.

THe ony time I'll buzz by small craft is when I have to unless I'll get stuck over shallow water. Even then the River Pro Jets give off a much smaller wake at high speeds. Almost no wake.

Its everyones river and I like to make sure that I don't offend anyone if I can help it.

I'll appologize for the noise ahead of time.

wink.gif

Hi Blake! Sorry, I was drawing a blank on your first name and I haven't seen you post for a while. I should post the rest of that video...The part where we got to our spot and you were already there! grin.gif

Jim, You should try the trip down the Blue Earth River sometime with that.

Nice set up Jim; thanks for sharing. I just have a milk crate on the back and three PVC rod holders. I'll have some work this winter.

I liked seeing your anchor set up. I'd read about this type of system where you could anchor front or back depending on conditions, but it wasn't clear until I saw your photos.

Good idea not to anchor in the river. The current surprised me. Tipped me over my first time out when I was trying to free a snag. Now I get out to fish, or fish in slack water areas instead of fishing while drifting along with the current. Although I've rigged up some weedless systems and might try drift fishing again. I'd also tie a rope and jug to my rod so I could throw it over if needed. Your kayak looks more stable than mine.

I caught a small carp on Lake Emily that towed me about 100 feet. A 50 pounder could take you for quite a ride. That's another reason for a rod leash attached to a jug.

Yes, my anchor system works like a charm since I can adjust it to the wind conditions on the lake. And then to retrive it by pulling it back to be able to grab the anchor line. All I need to get for it now is a line grabber to keep it stationary.

100_2050a.jpg

100_2052a.jpg

100_2054a.jpg

100_2055a.jpg

This kayak is amazingly stable, have heard stories of Keowee

2 owners using them like john boats standing in them while

fishing. I am not that brave, especially when I have my son

along. He gets nervous enough. wink.gif Another thing I have

noticed to is the way it handles 2.5ft wakes left by large

boats. Its kinda fun riding them as long as you are ready

for them. I could see it being a problem if you were not

ready. shocked.gif

There's a east coast forum with great kayak rigging & fishing info. Email me for site address if interested, KT

Quote:

There's a east coast forum with great kayak rigging & fishing info. Email me for site address if interested, KT

You must mean this site: Kayak Fishing stuff.com This is the place I got ideas to mod

my kayak from. Great site with great members to help you out.

What surprised me is how many sites there are for kayak fishing in ocean areas. Kayak fishing seems much more popular in salt water than fresh water. Just doing a Google search for "kayak fishing" you'll see sites from the Florida Keys, La Jolla, and the East Coast. I first leaned about kayak fishing when doing some on-line research for an Alaska trip.

If you Google "kayak fishing records" you'll see some amazing pictures of large fish (all salt water) caught in kayaks. The largest (so far) is a 265 pound common thresher shark. The one that impressed me the most was a 130 pound (estimated) tarpon.

Jim -- thanks for the additional pictures. You have a great set up.

Google "river Smallies". Then check out the watercraft forum. Lots of good safety tips, rigging, etc...

• 3 months later...

Kevin -- I meant to thank you about that "river smallies" site. I'd have never found it without your tip.

Deitz had some questions about using a kayak in the St. Croix, so I'm bringing this up again. Can't wait for open water.