Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sportland_Bait

Nisswa Lake Aerator- Thin Ice Please use caution!

6 posts in this topic

Aeration system to be installed on Nisswa Lake

An aeration system creating open water and thin ice will be placed in Nisswa Lake this winter. The system will be located on the area of the lake where Nisswa Marina was located. Dates of operation will be Nov. 21 to March 31. Please use caution around posted areas.

If you have any questions please stop in before you venture out on Nisswa Lake this winter.

Jason Erlandson

Is this a new thing? Im sure T-bone and I will avoid the thin ICE on this Lake....

This is the first year I've heard of such a project on Nisswa. I'm not sure of the reasoning. As far as I know the lake seemed fairly healthy. Lots of crappies, panfish and pike. We'll keep an eye on things, see how it goes.

Jason Erlandson

I thought there has been a sign next to the highway for at least several years indicating use of an aerator on Nisswa Lake. It's a brown sign just north of the creek by where the people park and walk out in the winter.

I haven't been on Nisswa Lake in many years, how shallow is it that it needs an aeration system?

ccarlson

CC is right. The sign has been on 371 and by the hazelwood access for at least 3 years. I think it has something to do with boat house that was built on the point. As far as I know, that is where the aerator is located.

You guys may be right, I probably just overlooked it. There has always been thin ice around the channel areas because of the current. I guess it seems strange that a lake with some current flow and moderate depth would need an aeration system. I wasn't aware that there ever was a problem with freeze-out. It may have been there all along, I just noticed it posted in the newspaper over the weekend and thought I'd pass along the info.

Jason Erlandson

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Poutwhacker
      Any new info on locations and bait preferences? Depths? Reefs? Minnows, worms or leeches? Heading up Saturday. Thanks
    • bassbouncer
      marty's heating 966-2393
    • leech~~
      Well better you found it now and not this weekend or you would be SOL fore sure being the 4th.  Nothing wrong with a good old lake bath though!  Good Luck.
    • Handsonthepole
      Lots of mayflies now.  Larvae were coming up two weeks ago and now good amounts of sheds on the water.  Fishing has been great for those willing to move around and find active fish.  Use leeches.  2-3ft snell.  Plain hook.  Caught quite a few yesterday.  Good size range.  Kabetogama.
    • delcecchi
      Got to cabin.  Water heater out, I think it is thermocouple.  Looking for someone to fix it, soon as possible.   I'm on west end and could use a suggestion.  I am going to call lakes gas too, see if they have anyone.  
    • ZachD
      Try the Sherburne wildlife refuge plenty of places you can get to were not a lot of people want to go the spot I deer hunt you need hip waders to get to
    • ZachD
    • Borch
      We've done well in late June.   May need to move offshore more.  Cranks or spinners till you find fish then slow down if needed.   I use the public access.  Not usually too busy mid summer. 
    • h8go4s
      Blue_Healer (Shouldn't that be heeler, not healer? http://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/Blue_Heeler ) "Thanks for the advice. Nobody else would help."   Me: "You're welcome. Did you check the websites I referenced? Did you stop at any boat dealers? "
    • Walleye #1
        With the big winds this week we were not able to venture out as far, so not a whole lot to report from the Main Lake.  When it isn’t blowing too hard, the main lake rock reefs were kicking out nice Leech Lake walleyes in 14-18 feet of water.  Pulling lindy rigs with crawlers or leeches as well as slow death at .5-.8 mph was the best.  Speed is the key when dialing in these fish.  Our Leech Lake fishing guides found a nice mix of eaters and bigger fish.   Still many of the same places as last week were producing in North Bar, Fletchers, Ivans, Submarine, etc, but don’t forget to look for secondary reefs and humps that are nearby or if the fish are not on the edges of those reefs look to the mud basins where the bug hatches are taking place and drive until you graph fish.   On the west end of the lake in Walker Bay and Agency Bays, shoreline breaks that had wind blowing in were the best.  14-20ft of water is where we keyed in on.  Pulling lindy rigs with chubs, leeches, or crawlers all worked to put a nice mix of walleyes and even some nice pike in the boat.  Other areas to key in on would be under water points and bars that run out into the bays and have deep water right next to them the bigger fish like to suspend and then come in and feed during these times.