• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Adrian's 1/15--first-timer seeking comment

Thanks to all of you posting reports and info. I've perused many older posts to gather info for my first trip to LOW.

I'll be fishing URL, too, so I figured Adrian's would be about the best, fastest spot to access the lake. I've got no sled or ATV, so a 4X4 truck and my legs will have to get me around. I've got a flip-over for shelter.

Do I rent a day house? Do I drive where it's plowed then walk from there? I'll be by myself, so I don't think it's too wise for me to bushwack, but then again, I like to be as mobile as possible to find the fish.

Gold seems to be a key color, along with some glow options. Any preference on minnows? Shiners, fatheads? Both?

I really don't know what to expect upon arrival. Is there a city of permanents out of Adrian's and does a guy have to work real hard to get away from them to set up? Nothing I hate more than feeling like I'm too close to the road or somebody's permanent.

I know it's a day bite, so I assume you get on early and try to pack up and be heading off before dark. Correct assumption?

Really excited about this trip. Any and all advice accepted. Thank you!

Bring both chubs and shiners. You will not have trouble finding a quiet spot if you walk off the road a little. The area is huge where people fish north of Pine island. Stop and get some Buckshot rattle spoons made by Northland (gold and pink/white) use a shiner head and use your vexilar you will get some fish. As they say early bird gets the worm the late bird gets to do the dishes in the cabin.

Good Luck!!!!! cool.gifcool.gif

Thanks for the reply Wicky.....so, when you say a "quiet" spot, are we talking hundreds of yards from anyone else or???

Am I looking for a structure or break or is this area a big basin or flat?

Need to get home and look at my maps.....

Huskminn,

You are in for a good time. To answer some of your questions:

Getting a "day house" is unnecessary, unless you want a base camp. Head out of Adrian's before sunrise in the morning. They have a well plowed road that you can't miss. The majority of the traffic relates to their road, or to small off-shoots that branch away usually plowed by other resorts. We typically take Adrian's road until we get in the general vicinity or depth we want to be in, then veer off and try to find an unpopulated area. The snow is getting pretty thick however, so good luck. It may be a matter of parking just off the road, and pulling your flip house and gear where you want to fish. The area around Pine Island is pretty much just a flat-bottomed bowl. Not much structure to speak of. So once you find the depth you want, one place is as good as the next. My general rule is shallow for big fish (12-16ft), and deep for sauger and keeper-size (27-33ft). However, you can catch either of these sizes or types in any depth.

As far as bait goes, I agree with Wicky. Buy both shiners and chubs. I tend to use shiners more, but there are those days when they seem to like those chubs as well, and they will always live a little longer for you.

Gold is always, OK. I personally think it is a little overrated. I prefer glow pink, orange, and some natural colors (shiner, perch).

As far as times of day, we had fish biting right as the first hint of light was peaking out over the horizon (around 7:15 am). I wouldn't head in too early either. Depending on weather conditions, and your comfort level navigating on the lake (do you have a GPS?), you may want to hang out until dark. There is often a decent bite at dusk. Furthermore, its always a kick to land a couple nice pout as darkness falls as well. I've found a better morning and evening bite in shallow and a better mid-day bite out deep. Apparently this is the philosophy of the Twin Rivers Resort guides as well. They might be a little more reliable than a Cheesehead like me!

I might be up there on the 15th. If I am for sure, I will post and maybe we can hook up seeing as how it sounds like you will be flying solo.

Jared

Quote:

Huskminn: I would stop and talk to the folks at Adrians, you will need a 5.00 pass to get on the lake, well worth the money. I would ask them to suggest how far out you need to go based on their reports and perhaps cut you a little side road to park your rig. With the snow that just fell up there vehicle travel other than the track vans is going to be tough. Last week I was out in that area and travel was not a problem, however 11" of snow and wind will put a stop to it real quick. One thing I have noticed up there is that people are pretty respectful of your distance and don't end up right on your door step even if they can drive all over. Hope you have a successful outing and catch some fish. Good luck and hang on. Bill PS I would also agree with Wicky, and bring along shiners, and chubs or fatheads.

Thanks for the thorough replies, bturck and green&gold.

I'll most certainly talk to the folks at Adrian's. I always make that a practice when venturing into new territory. Cutting a spot for me seems like a lot of trouble for them, but if they do that on a fairly regular basis, I'll take them up on it.

Does Adrian's have bait? If so, I'll buy it there as they should be rewarded for running a good operation.

I doubt if I will get there at first light, as I'll be driving from Blackduck, but I do have a GPS and would have no problem staying out until dark as long as the weather is good and the road clear. My cell won't work up there, which I don't like, but it's not like I can't survive without it.

Thanks again for the great info!

Adrians has bait as does Log Cabin Bait on your right side on 172 just prior to Adrians entrance. Steve takes good care of us, good scoops at a fair price.

Again not sure of Adrians doing any extra plowing to accomadate a pull off, but he is the only one that plows a road from Wheelers Point over Pine Island. The roads are stacked and well marked you should not have a problem following the markings. last week when we were there they had to move the crossing on the ice ridge on the other side of Pine Island every morning as the ice kept pushing up during the night and messed everything up. We stay at Riverbend right next to Adrians but used there road for access paying the $5 fee. They did one heck of a job to be sure travel was easy every morning. Again, best wishes for a great trip. The kids should have a ball. Good luck and hang on. Will be looking for your fishing report. Bill

I'm really starting to get pumped for this LOW thing. Can't understand why I've never done it before...all those trips to URL in years past and never gone the extra couple of hours to LOW.

I really appreciate all the good information from you regulars. Hope I am successful and can add a report upon my return.

Let's pray for stable weather late next week (just for me, of course!). smile.gif

Huskminn: I was in the same position you're in just 5 years ago. Went once and thats all it took, now its 4-5 times a year. it is a great area, friendly people, good fishing, it just don't get no better than that. Hope you and the family have a ball. leave a few fish though I'm headed back 1/17. Bill

Bill,

I saw the previous comment about the kids, but didn't say anything...now this thing about my family. Not sure where we got our wires crossed, but I'm flying solo this trip.

My wife refuses to ice fish and my first child is due in June. Figured I better get this trip in before all heck breaks loose this summer.

Thanks again for your help....

Huskminn,

I think you are on the right track, and in for some good fishing. One note, depending on how fast you like to drive, LOW is only 45 min to an hr away from URL. (I just saw that you mentioned LOW being "a couple hours north.") I suppose you could add time for driving on the ice setting up, etc. However, we have done many a trip where we fish the morning/midday bite on LOW and then head to URL by 2 or 3 or so and fish the evening bite for crappies. Although now I enjoy LOW so much that I can't usually pry myself away for an afternoon on URL.

Also a note on Adrian's road: Last year when the snow got really thick, Adrian's just started plowing a bunch of strips about 100 yrds or so off the end of their main road (at 90 degree angles). This allowed for people to set up with portables at a little more distance away from the main road. As far as I am concerned, this was way above and beyond what we pay Adrian's for. Those guys take care of us up there, whether we stay with them or not. Just FYI.

JH