• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello Fishhead:
I have been over to LQP 4 times so far this fall. The walleyes were biting by the Milan bridge up until last Friday (9-29). You had to sort through the walleyes to find keepers. There are a lot of 7-12 inch fish. Should be great fishing in the future. I plan on fishing over there next week. Also as a bonus, the crappies are huge, but there aren't many. My wife caught one that went 2lb. 3oz., that is going on the wall. I think after the cold front goes through, the bigger fish will start.
Ode

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ode,
Thanks for the report.

Please keep us posted. We really appreciate it.

Thanks for the report Ode.I am going to try to go the following weekend.I usually fish the bridge also.Maybee I will catch the beginning of the bite and will not have to play bumper boats at the bridge grin.gif

Hey guys,
Keep in mind, tonight at midnight they close the lower part of the lake due to goose hunting. I am all to familiar with the bumper boats!!!!! I live in Willmar and have not been out around here to see if they are biting. Next day off is Tuesday and I will try LQP then.
Later, Ode

Thanks for the info Ode.I have always been to the lake during goose hunting,matter of fact I have never seen more hunters all packed into a few fields as there.You can still fish the bridge and just bellow it can't you?If this is an annual closing I never knew about it.
Have you tried other spots on the lake upstream of the bridge?

They close the lake about a quartermile down from the bridge, from there on up the lake is open for fishing. Also if you want to fish from shore, below the dam is also open for fishing, I think they were going to open the gates and lower the lake some according to the DNR creel survey guy. That should get the fish going below the dam. You are right about all the hunters sitting in their little controlled hunt blinds around the refuge. It is kinda funny. I hope to get over there on Tuesday and try by the bridge. Let me know how you did!!!
Best regards, Ode

I HAD TO MAKE A TRIP OUT NEAR MORRIS TODAY SO I THOUGHT I'D SKIP DOWN TOWARDS THE UPPER MINNESOTA ON THE WAY HOME. I SET THE COMPASS ON "S" AND CAME TO APPLETON AND THE MARSH LAKE DAM AREA (NICE!). YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A GOOD SPOT WHEN YOU SEE ALL THE TACKLE UP ON THE POWER LINES!
I THEN HEADED DOWN TO THE HWY 119 BRIDGE AND TALKED WITH A GUY WHO HAD JUST MISSED A COUPLE BUT SAID THERE ARE NICE WALLEYES TO BE HAD THERE. I CAME BACK ACROSS THE RIVER AT THE MILAN BRIDGE. I DIDN'T STOP BUT IT LOOKED GOOD AS WELL.
NEXT STOP, THE DAM BELOW LAC QUI PARLE LAKE OFF HWY 33. THIS ONE IS SWEET! I TALKED TO A GUY PITCHING A JIG/MINNOW UP INTO AN EDDY BELOW THE DAM. HE SAID THINGS ARN'T HAPPENING YET BUT WILL BE SOON AND THEN THERE ARE LOTS OF EYES AND LOTS OF PEOPLE TOO.
I CHECKED A COUPLE OF DAMS AROUND GRANITE FALLS BEFORE HEADING FOR HOME AND FOUND SOME POSSIBILITIES. MAN, THE WEATHER WAS BAD TODAY...I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA LOOSE MY HAT A COUPLE OF TIMES! I'M THINKING I BETTER HEAD BACK OVER THAT WAY SOON!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I worked late tonite so as to free up the weekend.The weather sounds like it will be nasty but I think I am going to head to LQP anyway.Dark if you are interested give me a ring.I would also like to check out the spots you went to today.

Fishead, Dark-- I'm usually in the Watson, LQP area every week hunting fowl. If you guys are out there again, I'd love to hook up for some river fishing!! I'm heading that way at 4am for a couple of days. Have to work the weekend though frown.gif Maybe one of the following weeks would work if you're interested. There's one spot I've had my eye on trying where I saw a guy boat 4 eyes in about 15 minutes. Shoot me an email if interested. Good luck this weekend...

Duck-o-holic

[This message has been edited by Duck-o-holic (edited 10-11-2001).]

MAYBE TOMORROW AFTERNOON I CAN GET AWAY FOR A LIITLE TRIP OUT TO THE LQP AREA. ITS ONLY ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF FROM ME TO GRANITE FALLS AND THEN ITS JUST SPOT CHECKING TIME FROM THERE.
I CAN'T GO SATURDAY AND SUNDAY LOOKS A LITTLE BALMY (SO THEY SAY) BUT THINGS GOTTA START UP PRETTY QUICK I WOULD THINK! confused.gif
WET NETS!

------------------

DARK, fishhead:
I Checked out that spot yesterday and caught a FAT 23-incher! It was the only one that I caught, but I did see three more landed. One was 21", and the others were bigger-- probably 24" and 25". Nice fat fish. Didn't see any little ones caught!

The locals were using green jigheads with a green Mr.Twister body. I lost 5 jigs on the rocks before changing up to the "secret" lure that caught my only fish.

Shoot me an email (listed on Moderators Forum) for more details!

Good Gunnin'

Duck-o-holic

[This message has been edited by Duck-o-holic (edited 10-12-2001).]

Dark called me at work today to try and get me to go this afternoon.Work can really get in the way of what is really important!I think he went anyway.I am heading to LQP tommorrow with the boat.Plan on checking some shore spots too.Green grubs huh.What is this secret weapon?I am curious.I will shoot you an email.

WELL I GOT A LATE START ON THE ROAD SO I WENT TO THE NEW ULM AREA TO CHECK OUT THE COTTONWOOD RIVER INLET. LOOKS LIKE A GOOD STRETCH BUT WOULD FISH BETTER WITH A BOAT I THINK.
I ENDED UP BACK AT THE BLUE EARTH INLET AND POUNDED SOME MORE WHITE BASS JUST BEFORE DARK. I DID FINALLY GET 1 NICE EYE THAT PUSHED 24" ON THE SHAD RAP AFTER SUNDOWN. THERES STILL LOTS OF BAIT AND THIS FISH WAS FULL OF IT!
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW FISH! WISH I COULD COME WITH!
HEY DUCK, I DON'T DOUBT THAT MISTER TWISTER WAS WORKING! I THROW THEM ALOT ALTHOUGH MOSTLY IN THE SPRING OR IN SNAGGY AREAS. WAS THAT THE 3" TAIL THEY WERE USING?
WET NETS!

------------------

Well I made it out to LQP today.There were plenty of fish to be caught but I bet they were 2 to a lb.I did get two that if a guy was desperate he could call them keepers.
After messing around with the small fry I decided to head over to Marsh Lake Dam.Thanks for the info Duck,I will use try it next time.(I will keep in touch when I am heading out that way again)The locals were there with their green jigs.These guys had stringer with some dogs that were better than 24".It is a shame to see a stringer like that especially when the smaller males were biting also.Oh well to each his own.I managed two walleys that were 16 and 18" in the half hour that I was there.I picked them up on my old time favorite,a yellow and orange jig head with a flo yellow Power Grub.
On my way home I stopped at a few places.There is a dam just east of Granite Falls that I never knew about.I found the boat launch south of it but did not launch because of the time.(no fun getting stuck on unfamilliar water after dark).I wll have to check this out on another day.

Dark 30 and I are heading out to the LQP area this saturday.We are going to check out the Marsh lake Dam and hit a few other spots while were out there.If anyone wants to hook up just let us know.

Hey Pwaldow,good luck hunting.I don't know if we will be there all day but stop by the marsh lake dam and say Hi.I will keep a look out for your truck too.I'll bring an extra rod if you want to make a few casts.Pheasant and walleye on a silver platter,while the wife fans you and feeds you grapes....could happen!

Fishhead, How did you guys do? Sorry I didn't get a chance to swing over there. 9 a.m., little spot outside of Clontarf started hunting and we had our 2 roosters by 10:30 a.m. Wanted to go out to LacQui Parle, but figured I could get back to the Cities and get some stuff done that has been pushed back to the back burner.

Paul
[email protected]

Pwaldow,
You didn't miss anything at all.My boss and I played hooky on friday, in the morning we picked up only one then headed over to Artichoke to check that out,nothing.We went back to the Marsh Lake Dam in the evening and picked up 4 right at dusk,one nice 5 lber.
Today Dark and I stopped at the LQP dam and it was pretty slow there,then went to Marsh Lake dam and only fished for about 20 minutes.We talked to a guy fishing with 4 other guys who had only picked up one in two hours.No sense hanging around there.Then we did some more scouting around and headed back to Granite Falls where we had some luck.We put the walleyes back but I kept a white bass,I wonder what that will taste like?
Thats too bad you got your birds so soon and couldn't enjoy the nice day(and walk miles and miles). grin.gif