• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

monti FM gathering

riverwader

Sad, but true.

Once fall hits, my boat of choice is a little Alumacraft Ducker. frown.gif

I do get out a little, as you know Ebass.
Remember those secret walleye pics???

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• Mark Christianson

• HawgTide

• Royce Aardahl

I would be interested in fishing it I have a 16 ft lund is the river too shallow for that? I have not fished that stretch before. I dont have a partner either so if someone is looking I'm there man.

Grip it n rip it

I'm still up for it if anyone else is. BLB are you still thinking about trying to make it? Who all is planning making it: rollcall please smile.gif. Here is what I have so far:
BigMike (non-boater/wader)
Hawgtide (boater)
Riverwader (non-boater paired with HT)
River Rat (non-boater/wader)
BigLakeba$$ (boat/non-boat??)
Tinman (non-boater/wader)

Possibles that mentioned interest:
PHScotty
Corey Bechtold

If we can even get 4-6 guys I think it could be a real good time. Maybe fish morning and early afternoon, then do a BBQ maybe mid-afternoon (2 or 3ish) I've got to be back in the cities by 5:30 - or maybe just scrap the BBQ and just fish until 2 or 3ish.

greggles, if your boat is aluminum and you don't mind it bouncing off the rocks, you can drift this area. I don't think you'll want to use an outboard though. I had a 16ft Lund Rebel last year and drifted down river a few times. It gets rough around the riffle areas when you are drifting at the mercy of the river. That is pretty much canoe/Jon boat country unless you have RiverPro or a jet motor. I'm not trying to scare you off, as I hope you can make it. It is great fishing, but rocky and shallow.

BigLakeBa$$ will turn into BigLakeGoo$e???

Well, Riverwader is not going to be there, so BLB, you were the first to ask about joining Team TrackerJet, it's yours if you want it. Otherwise, BigMike was next.

greggles, as Hawgtide mentioned, the problem with that section is that is so shallow right now. You definitely could float that section (maybe put in at montisippi and float down to Ellison (maybe a couple times if you fished quickly). That float would put you in some primetime smallie waters, but again, it does get shallow through the riffles and you may want to just hang on through those areas. And you would need a partner to shuttle back in forth and it might get a little frustrating. Another option would to beach the boat and fish some of the spots that have good breaks/boulders. Just some ideas to keep the idea open for you.

I need to get a jet boat then people will be lining up to fish the river with me like they do with Hawgtide! smile.gif

so is everyone going to wade then? I dont want to bruse the million dollar machine, but I do want to fish with you guys though. Where is the place you are taking off from?
thanks

Well if we can get enough shallow boats together we might have a couple boats and the rest will probably be wading. I'm bringing my waders and if I get to ride with someone even better, but I'll be out there either way. We're going to be launching/meeting out of Ellison Park (just south of the bridge 1/4-1/2mi.) It's a pretty decent park with deeper water on the north/east shoreline If you get a chance, just swing down that direction and check it out. You may be able to get through some areas, but just take it slow (boulders).

Renting a canoe would be an option for anyone without a boat. Not sure if anyone is bringing a boat other than me. Where are all the river rats???

Funny how we still haven't heard from BLB on whether he is up for the monti challenge or not... maybe he is trying to filibuster the smallie magnet title. LOL.

I'm still planning on being there, wading if I have to smile.gif. Maybe a canoe if I feel up to it - put in at montisippi and float to Ellison - maybe a couple times smile.gif. I'll look into canoe rental prices for anyone interested.

I will not be there. I am headed north for some prep work to the hunting season.
frown.gif
But then again, hunting season is here so I should have the smiley face. smile.gif

I haven't left you guys out to dry - just been busy. I'll post everything later tonight when a get a few extra minutes (canoe rental place, where the park is, rollcall (boaters & non-boaters), etc.! It's been crazy busy for the last few days!

Man that river is so shallow right now. I was stuck many times over on Saturday. My boat took some damage, not sure how much yet. Canoes and Rafts are definitly the way to go now.

Ok guys, it's almost here! River low or not, Monti here we come cool.gif! Actually the weather is predicting some rain this week, so that could be good for you Hawgtide! If anyone is still interested see below smile.gif

Here is the deal for Saturday, August 28th:

Time: meet between 6:45 & 7am and we'll go until 2:30pm. If you want to come later and stay later, those are times we will meet at Ellison Park. I think we'll cancel the BBQ to help with everyone's schedule - sorry guys.

Where: Ellison Park.

Directions: Take I-94 to Monticello, take Hwy 25 exit (north/northeast) and head into downtown Monti. Go through downtown and just before you go over the river bridge turn right on East River St (I believe there it's the stop light right before crossing over the bridge). Follow East River St. about 1/2 mile to Ellison Park which will be on the left.

Boundaries: Open ended north & south from Ellison Park (within reason). This should help those canoeing. You could launch at Montissippi and pick up at Ellison or launch at Ellison and pick up at Kadler Ave. If canoeing, arrange your own car details for canoe launch & pick-ups. If anyone ends up wading, you can drive north to Montissippi park or south to Kadler Ave. and wade any stretch between there and meet back up with us at 2:30pm.

Scoring: Individual with the BIGGEST/longest fish wins. Measured & verified by partner. Digital Cams for fun pics. I've got a digicam, greggles has one and anyone else who has one if you could bring it that would be great. I'll work on providing measuring sticks/tapes for us. I'll have data sheets and fish will be verified and recorded by partner.

Who: Anyone still interested let me know: [email protected]. As of right now I've got: Myself, Hawgtide, RiverRat, Tinman, Greggles, & maybe Eyeguy. If we have 6 we'll have 3 teams of two. If you are in need of a partner post and let us know, that way each of you can work out a partner. If not, we'll pair off on Saturday 7am (boaters, non-boaters/waders).

So far: Hawgtide has a boat (if he still wants to take it out)- HT need a partner smile.gif? and Greggles might have a canoe. If you want, I may be able to snag an aluminum canoe from a friend for the other guys as well (but it would be up to you guys to have to get it up and downriver). Let me know and I'll see what I can do. If you are looking to rent a canoe, I found a place on the internet: kettercanoeing.com out of Brooklyn Park.

Remember, this is just for fun and some bragging rights! It's going to be a good outing and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you (for those I haven't met already).

Ebass - you bum. Just kidding LOL! You've got mail!

HT - I'd love to ride with you. I'm also going to ask my friend if I could bring his canoe up. It's a long aluminum canoe with a transom mount in the back. He may let me bring it up for whoever wants to use it. I'll check this week with him. And of course I'll bring my waders just in case as a back up!

It's suppose to rain some over the next few days and hopefully that will bring the river up a few inches - doubtful but I'm optimistic.

looking forward to this, low water or not, rain or not, lightning - NO THANKS.

limbered up the old fly rod on Sat but nothing of any size. upstream from Montissippi park. did talk with an older gentleman who put my on to another place to try - saving it for this Saturday. Don't want to embarass myself with the smallie magnet and the pretenders to the crown

HT, I know you could handle running the river right now!!! Just get on plane and don't look back!!!! It is really tricky right now with the low water. I am extrmely jealous of you all. I would be there but I will be in Kansas City frown.gif, Oh well. I know if you guys have half as much fun as we did in St. Cloud-Sartell.... it should be a blast. Catch a bonified 20+ for me.... All I ask is the photo proof. No biggie right?

I actually know where a true 20 hangs out. But that info is truly classified... Sorry.
Have fun guys.

I may just may make this. It's still in the air. I'm emailing you BM to get your cell.

Ahh, nevermind it's this Sat. I thought it was Sunday. I went back and re-read it. Dang! Still want you cell BM. You've got mail!

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 08-23-2004).]

BigMike, Sounds good. I definitely think the wading and canoeing is the way to go. Have you called the General Rental center is Monti? I'm not sure if they rent canoes or not. We can plan to take my boat, but I don't think I'll be able to get to the areas I want. frown.gif

You so funny Eyeguy!!! I can't divulge ALL of my secrets. grin.gif I already gave some info away..... Aw heck it was for a good guy anyway.
Lets just say there are a number of them (20 +smallies) in the Mississippi River!!! LOL No really there are at least two in the area you guys will be fishing on Saturday. The odds are in an anglers favor right now with flows as low as I have seen them.... less for them to hang out in, right?? The question is will you find them ???? HMMM. Good luck.!!

All you guys crack me up!!! We've got a good group of guys following & participating in dialogue & outings! I can't wait for next year's events... but let's get this monti one done first smile.gif.

Tinman - you better limber up that fly rod a little more, 'cause if you hook into a monster smallie, it's going to take you all morning to reel'em in smile.gif j/teasing!

Eyeguy, if you're looking for a 20+'' smallie, I'll show you pictures of the one I catch on Saturday grin.gif. Man the pressure is on, show up or shut up for the smallie magnet! LOL.

Smallie Hawgin - bummer that you can't make it...but there is always next year! It's not fair that you know all the spots... you're name should be more like "Smallie - SPOT- Hawgin". LOL! Just Kidding! Oh yeah, and electroshocking doesn't count for tourneys either... J/K!

Big Mike - it may take me all day to land the big one with that long stick but would be well worth it. Should I be lucky enough to stumble into a honey hole I just might be able to talk you into trying smallies with the hook and feather method?

SH, It's not the river that is causing me grief, it's the rocks. It's like dodging a mine field.

BM, did you mention that this is artificial lures only or is live bait allowed? Not that I use it.

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 08-24-2004).]

Can't make it there saturday so I'll have to suffer and go out here for a couple hours. I expect to see a picture of a 20 incher bigmike!! So you can just email back the picture I send you. heeheeheehee Good luck all! Smallie-hawgin, you got class!! smile.gif