• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

monti FM gathering

riverwader

What's the word on a Monticello gathering/tournement/"DigiCam Tournament"?
Anyone up for the Smallie magnet title?
I personally just want Hawgtide's BBQ!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• Mark Christianson

• HawgTide

• Royce Aardahl

I think August 28th would work for me. Saturdays are always the easiest day of the weekend to work around for me. I'll check the calendar & with the lady and get the word and post.

I need validation of my self proclaimed "smallie magnet" title... LOL grin.gif

One last note, I have to say that I am really happy to see more river rats coming together on this forum. The north 'sippi is awesome!

I can definitely do August 28th! Who else can make it that day?

I think we can have just as good a turn out as the Sartell - FM informal tourney! (man I wish I could make that day - it's going to be a blast for you guys!). Maybe we'll see some of you at the monti event!

It is possible that I could make it. Gotta verify though.

Look out for the new Smallie Magnet, BLB!

He out caught me about 20 to 7 including a 4lb 2oz Smallie yesterday evening in about 3-4 hours.

I did however catch the biggest Mussel! Anyone ever have a mussel clamp down on a jig?

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 08-09-2004).]

Not a muscle.
A mussel.
Yes, I can say I have never seen a mussel literally clamp down on a jig. That was hilarious. And no camera in the boat.

Only 20 to 7??? I thought I was in the 30's when it was all done. wink.gif

LOL... muscle - mussel! watch out for BLB! I think he is coming out of his slump from a month ago! Maybe he is taking some fishing lessons from his son who caught that huge 21'' smallie! wink.gif lol!

So for this event, August 28th might be the day for it... We need to talk to Ebass to change the title of this topic from "monti FM gathering" to "Monti Smallie Magnet Gathering/Tourney".

Hawgtide, you know the monti stretch pretty well, which park/launch would be the best for a morning tourney and bbq/potluck lunch? Ellison Park?

It looks spelled right to me! smile.gif

I think Ellison would be the best place for it, although I'm not sure how this whole thing will be played out. That whole stretch is so shallow, I don't think there will be many, if any, other boats interested. So far there are only 3 people interested, and one maybe. We could just go over to my house for that few a people.

30? I think that's how many Senko's you went through!

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 08-09-2004).]

Sorry guys,
I will be in Kansas City for that weekend mad.gif I agreed to go with the better half to a conference she has there. Sounds like it would be a good time though.

BLB showing HT how to fish senkos eh??? Hmm where did he get that from??
Catch some fish for me folks. Although I guess we get to see a new Cabela's that opened up down there as part of the program.... which may not be so bad.

HT was the master Senko teacher.
The Dolly Llama of Senko.

Ugh. I'll be a few miles north of there that day...on dry land...selling furniture. Boo Hoo.
I get off at 6pm, though. Maybe I could figure somethin' out since it's close to home and all.

Rob

How about we borrower Smallie Hawgin's Sartell setup (with a few changes) for the Monti event:

How about we set it up like this
When: 0630-1130 am Saturday Aug 28th
Where: Ellison Park landing, Mississippi River (boundaries to be determined).

How much: $0.00 - the Smallie Magnet Title & all the bragging rights that come with it.

Other details: Artificials only.
All smallmouth bass you choose to measure as a two/one person team will be measured on a board of some sort. Mouth closed, Tail pinched. Record the catch on the write in data sheet (to be provide the day of).

We can do either (or both) a team &/or individual format. Team format would be best (longest) five fish per team. Individual would only be for the biggest fish recorded (the true Smallie Magnet) - we could still be paired off, but partner must verify bass length for individual format. If we only have a couple teams the individual (big bass) format might work best and we could probably do digital cameras *say cheese* grin.gif

BBQ, potluck, lunch afterwards (possibly at Hawgtide's place). Bring something we all can sample.

Email me if you are interested or have any further questions or ideas [email protected].

Would there be more interest in an afternoon event? The BBQ thing is better in the evening. Maybe the wives, girlfriends, and children can join us. We could look into reserving the pavillion at Ellison Park if there is enough interest.

Also, it may be a good idea to find a local canoe rental place and people could rent a canoe for the day. That way they could access different areas and get out and wade.

Another idea would be to make it an all (or any part of) day event. Say the weigh in is at 6pm and you could start whenever you wanted. That way some folks could show up later but still join us at the park. This is all for fun and a chance to meet fellow FM'ers, so as long as you have documented or photographed your catch, that would be good enough for me.

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 08-10-2004).]

Is this a team or solo event. I'd be interested but don't have a jet boat or a outboard I don't care about. Let me know.

Corey Bechtold

I think the all day thing could be good, except I may have to check in my fish early. I've got to be back in Woodbury (east metro) by mid to late afternoon (4-5ish).

All who have expressed interest, how many have a boat that could be used on the monti stretch? (jet or small outboard boat). I'm just trying to get an idea of how many so we can figure on pairing off or if we might need to get canoes and do a float of some sort (like Montisippi to Kadler launches). It could be fun, but might be a long float and not exactly what I had in mind.

Corey, I'm thinking the best way to hold this event would be a solo - big bass only (but be paired up for verification of big bass lengths & pictures). That way you get the best of both - fishing with someone & fishing for yourself and all the bragging rights that come with being a smallie magnet - should make it really fun for everyone!

[This message has been edited by BigMike (edited 08-11-2004).]

I was thinking that if people had canoes, they could get to some of the local rock islands and riffle areas and would still be able to get back to launch (a little paddling would be required).

I think that it should be an individual event, with either a digital photo clearly showing the length, or an opponent to verify the length and written on a data sheet. Of course, any smallies over 20" (limit 1 per person)would be legal to possess. With that thought in mind, we could make it a Big Bass only tournament. Largest fish over 20" wins.

This IS the "smallie magnet" event we are talking about...If you want to be the smallie magnet, you've got to catch the biggest bass!

I think a big bass event would be fun although I am not sure there would be a 20incher brought in (besides mine of course wink.gif). I hope there are a few big ones, but how about we just say a digital pic of fish length or verified length by partner and the longest/biggest smallie wins. If we end up having a couple tie at the same length... they can share the bragging rights, although I'm planning on having them all to myself! *let the trash talking begin* LOL. j/k (kinda wink.gif).

HT - do you have anyone planning on fishing with you yet? I need to find a partner with a boat or I may be wading/canoeing it!

after a long and frustrating I think I got the posting thing worked out. I am 90% sure I can make the event on the 28th. no boat available though. is there some adjustment on fish length given to a guy using the fly rod?

Tinman... I'm glad to see you got the posting thing worked out smile.gif We'll have to get out on the 'sippi wading again sometime. After fishing Ellison Park with you a couple weeks ago I headed downriver and found a real nice spot that I'll have to show you sometime. Actually I'm planning on heading up that way on Saturday for some fishing - although I may head to Elk River to try it out there (I still haven't made it wading on that stretch yet).

I don't think there will be any consolation for a fly rod guy, but maybe you can have your own smallie magnet fly-fisherman bracket smile.gif. Who knows, you may end up beating us all! We'd love to have you for the event. I'll work on trying to find you a boating partner (if there are any to be had). If not you are obviously very familiar with that section and might fair better wading (we'll work out the details). Shot me an email.

BigMike, that sounds good. You set up all the details and let me know what I can do to help.

Riverwader is my partner, sorry.

Sounds good to me, I'll work out the details - although I think we've got them laid out pretty much already.

Riverwader & HT...bring it on. LOL. Ok, now all I've got to do is find me a partner... BIGLAKEBA$$ where are you! BLB - do you think you'll be able to make or are you still up in the air?

Anyone who is interested in this Smallie Magnet event shoot me an email so that I can keep in contact with you (in addition to the posts here): [email protected]

Let me know if you have a boat or need a partner with one so that we can pair off for a great day on the water!

Looks like we should maybe postpone/cancel this until more interest? Maybe mid Sept?

Schedules on weekends are gonna get real tough soon for me.
Once September hits, weekends for the most part will be out.
Hunting season is here. smile.gif

Although weekends are tough in the summer too, since I am fishing......
Cripes. Its never easy.

Bigmike

Sorry to say but that weekend is not looking good. you guys should have a blast. My dad has been out the last couple of nights and has been getting 15 to 25 a night. Now I just need to free up some time to get out and join him

Scott

You will never see my boat in the Monti stretch of the river. That is a for sure.

I am not sure. It depends if/when I can get up north to get some tasks done up there to prepare for goose hunting, bow hunting, etc...