Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

I have used small raps such as #5 and #7 black and silver for trout. I usually use a fast retreive. Was wondering if others are using bigger raps or other colors and how they are working them. so far this has worked pretty good for me but I usally only catch about 10 fish, and hearing all these people catching 20-35 fish just wondering how I can improve.

thanks

Jim W

DoctorBIgLou,

Increasing the number of trout caught isn't necessarily always a matter of presentation.

If your fishing a small stream with a lower population of trout, you'll most likely catch less fish. Or if your fishing a stream/river that has a lot more water than fish, you'll catch less fish.

If the trout are feeding hard on a recent hatch, you'll catch less trout. I have had days where I was nailing them when all of a sudden, I reach a section of stream/time of day, when a major caddis hatch is on. Boom! Nothing! (at least nothing for spin fishing)

Water clarity and temperature play a key role in catching fish as well! Obviously, if it looks like chocolate milk, give up! If the water temp is too warm, the trout will either head up smaller feeders, stay deep or hidden under cover(log jams, undercut banks etc.) These days call for added patience and tight casting!

If you find a stream(kind of like the South Branch was for trout day) where at first glance it appears clear, but after further investigation, the deeper runs or riffles have a tad of cloudiness to them and the water temp is in the 50's or less, you should catch quite a few trout. If there is a substantial population of trout etc. Even if the number of trout is less than average, if all falls into place you can have a banner day on the stream!

If your fishing a designated trout stream, check your trout map. Look up the condition and population comparison(Miles of good water)before you go out next time.

Some days just don't produce, even when all seems perfect. If you find yourself on a stream and all seems "just right" and your not catching the numbers you expected, I always recommend switching up. Try a larger presentation, try a spinner, try different colors etc. etc. or go smaller. Sometimes floating a Crane fly larvae or nightcrawler on those apparent "perfect conditioned" days, will increase the number of fish as well.

I personally have been throwing large rapalas lately. I'm not catching large numbers of fish, but the ones I am catching are usually very impressive!

SO don't fret, BigLou! There is NOTHING wrong with catching 10 trout on an outing!
If you want to catch more, in the past, my large number days have been with rooster tail spinners!(1/8oz. white) Also, immediately following a thunderstorm! The two days where I caught the most trout were evenings where I waited out a fairly severe storm!
My wife and I had a 68 trout day after seeking shelter under a sandstone over-hang. I should tell you we caught those trout in less than 2 hours as well!!!!

Do a little pre-research before going out, check the stream conditions and weather. While your on the stream, don't wait too long to switch up tactics. Man, I must have too much coffee this morning! Better go!
I hope this helps! If it doesn't, let me know more of what your running into, and I'll be glad to try and help. Good luck!
Jim W