Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
musky999

Fishing in Crane and surrounding area

musky999

I have been going to Crane the last 6 or 7 years the weekend after opener. We always do pretty good. Haven't found any big northerns though. Just curious what and where might be the best things to look for. Also what kind of fishery is Little Vermil. I have never been back that way. I have always fished Crane, Sand Point, and Namakan.

Thanks,
Musky999

Enids Hubby

The biggest northern i've cought in crane was and 11 pounder.It was in the gorge area a week or so after opener 2 years ago . Most of the northerns i've cought have been on the west shore line by the green boat house. Little vermillion last year was better fishing than crane. I always try little vermillion and is pretty consistent for walleyes. best spot way down by the island on the american side . try the front corner where it drops suddenly to 20 ft . got a 20" walleye last year in that spot . troll with a gold spinner seems to work for me . also try between that island and shore around 25 to 30 ft was getting tons of crappies

musky999

Thanks for that reply. Any big smallmouth caught be anybody that time of year. The biggest we have had is 19 inches, nice fish. It is so fun catching those smallies and putting them back in the water.

Thanks,
Musky999

89Bronco

My biggest northern on Crane was a 38" on the north end a few years ago on a 1oz. Daredevil, yellow with red 5 of diamonds. I've caught a few 36" pike on gold husky jerks. I saw one caught in the little bay to the left just before you enter Sand Point that had to be over 40", and one guy hauled up a nice musky in the Narrows there also. For the most part though, I'm not sure if Crane has a lot of big (40") pike in it. I try to fish all summer, but I'd have to say that I catch most of them earlier in the year (May/June) and then in the fall (Sept./Oct.) when I'm hunting up there.

The biggest smallies that I've caught were 19". Both on a plain hook, slip bobber and leech up in the Gorge. I've caught a few of those on the north end also, but the biggest were in the Gorge.

d.roy

Not to question you in any way, but are you sure that you saw a musky caught in the crane chain of lakes? I'm pretty excited about that if this is a positive musky catch in these lakes. I've heard of people seeing muskies porpusing but never heard of one actually being caught. I don't think skis are natural to these waters but imagine they might make way via vermillion river from famed lake vermillion. I think these lake could support some big fish without a negative impact on the rest of the fishery. I'll be up at sandpoint lodge next thursday and can't wait to get there! Any other musky info would be great!!

Enids Hubby

I know a person who guides occasionally for one of the resorts on crane and he cought a muskie by indian island on crane lake. it was not real big. I know he knows the difference between them . I've heard for a few years now that there are some muskies present.

89Bronco

d.roy,

Yeah, it was a musky, and you're right, I don't think they are natural to the waters of Crane. It is rare, but every so often you'll hear of someone hooking one. This was a few years ago. The guys brought it up in front of the Voyagaire (they didn't release it) frown.gif and laid it out on the grass there, so we got a good look at it.
My guess is the same as yours, a few must come down the river from Vermillion---but it's just my guess. You can check the DNR site. If I remember right, they even caught one in one of their surveys on time. (I could be wrong on that though!) smile.gif
I would never recommend Crane for muskies. They aren't there in any numbers.
Can't wait to get up there! Handberg's put the boat in the water yesterday and I'll be at the cabin Saturday. Anybody have general suggestions for the crappie on Crane?

Timber

I keep my boat at Handberg's also, and have been up to my cabin 3 or 4 times since ice out. Water is higher than last year. Made it easier to put my dock out. I would also be interested in knowing where the crappies are!!!

d.roy

Yeah, we use handbergs too - they really do a great job there! I've no ideas on the crapps but would also love to get into them. I'm happy to hear the water levels are better this spring. I'll be getting to crane next thursday for a much needed fishing vacation. Any idea on how low the water currently is? Can't wait to get there, thursday can't come soon enough!!

musky999

Hi Guys,
Two years ago in the Gorge I saw someone catch about a 15 lb musky while walleye fishing. That same night we saw someone catch a sturgeon in the Gorge also. Both were releassed. The guy that caught the strurgeon broke his rod. Anyway, anymore comments on the northern,smallmouth, and crappie fishing the second week of the season.

Thanks,
Musky999

Timber

d.roy, if you remember the water-mark scale on Handberg's main dock, it's at approximately 16 as of a few days ago. I think it was around 13 last year at opening. Normal (again, I think) is 18.

hop sing

i caught a muskie up in namakan about 5 years ago. it was only a couple lbs. but it was a muskie. (released it). so they are there but in 15 years of fishing thats the only one.

89Bronco

musky999---
Are you going to be on Crane this weekend? Good luck if you go. I'm heading up Friday night and I can't wait!

musky999

89Bronco,
We will be up there around 2:00pm on Friday and staying through Sunday late afternoon. We will be fishing out of a 185 Alumacraft with a 150 Yam.. Good luck to you too and maybe we will see ya.

Musky999