Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lake Miltona

10 posts in this topic

I will be heading up to Lake Miltona May 29-June 1. Traditionally what is a good live bait for this time of year - Leeches, Minnows or crawlers? In July, Leeches are the best bet.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Watch the weather forecast...often times leeches and crawlers work great in early spring after some rain. The water temps on Miltona have been steadily rising, and should be in the 60's by that weekend. Shiners or fatheads would be my first choice...jigging on the breaklines.

good luck!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thank Ghotierman. I have been in your store several times and for the life of me cannot remember is you carry Shiners, fatheads and the like. Do you? Either way, I am sure I will stop in at the end of the month.

Scott

Scott, I too will be coming up to fish Miltona that same weekend, with my brother in law and father in law. My wife's brother was going to come, but he weenied out 'cuz he knew he wouldn't catch anything compared to the rest of us. Maybe we'll see you out there. You'll recognize us by all the fish we're catching (and releasing).

I know those types. Too bad, he would probably have a good time.

Yeah, maybe. He's got a new boat, and thinks he's kinda tough now. I'm pretty sure I'd catch way more fish than him. But my wife's sister's husband, who's going with us, is by far the best fisherman in the family.

I suppose the fact that he is the best fisherman is probably because he takes all of his advice from is wife's brother. This who thinks he is the best fisherman in the that particular family sounds like a lawyer - probably a practices a lot of corporate law.

Scott

no, really it's me, the computer geek.
On a more serious note, have you seen some of the other postings for Miltona and the other Alex area lakes? Lots of optimism going into this weekend. Also, re the walleye situation on Miltona, there's some folks who have studied it a lot more than we ever have, who seem to think that the walleye population isn't necessarily down because of muskie stocking, but that the walleye have moved out of historical areas due to fishing pressure and the fisherman haven't adapted.

Probablybrian,
Good point.

Middle of summer shallow eyes???Midday?? 10 feet or less?? Can and does happen out there.

MNHusker...We've got a great variety of bait for you...lake shiners, golden shiners, light pike, northern, fatheads (great grade fatties!)...nitro worms, crawlers, leeches...

Currently sold out of the new lakemaster map for miltona....hoping to get some more in soon. (Didn't even nab one myself!) It really changes how you look at that fishery...seeing the 3 foot contours gives a new picture to the flats, points, and humps...

I should be up on Miltona later in the weekend, too...usually around the west end bay (inlaws place is 200 feet south of the west end access)

Good luck up there!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• guideman
      Maybe you need some new spots. Raised 9 fish last night in 3 hours. Hooked two boated one.   "Ace" "It's just fishing man"
    • ANYFISH2
      7/19 Day 5   Day 5 was spent celebrating my Isaacs 11th birthday!  Lots of cake and catering to him.  The exciting typical swimmimg and paddling ruled the day.  Grandma and grandpa DeZurik came up to celebrate his birthday as well.  Always nice to get both sets of grandparents together at the same time.   Fishing continued slow even more.  Still a successful night though. The birthday boy conceded his seat in the boat so grandma and grandpa cpuld join me for the evening fish trip.  My folks in all truth haven't been fishing for 2 years or more.  It was just nice to get them in the boat.   I struggled as the acting to put them on a consistent bite.  Mom as able to scratch out the biggest walleye at 17".  Dad brought home the honors of most fish caught landing a 14" and 15" walleye, 8.5" bluegill, and 2 perch as big aa his leech! I mustered up 1 small pumpkinseed.
    • ANYFISH2
      no doubt aboit the hooks, they are lottle stickers.
    • DLD24
      I like drifting with them and snap jigging them with a controlled fall...Almost every time you'll feel that tick just as it's hitting bottom... Last time I was on mille lacs that's all I could get them to go on. As far as colors I'd just match the forage Tullies in the lake use blue,purples,silvers....Perch use perch colors.. I think the jiggin rap is my new favorite way to fish, but it gets scary with them little hooks when you got a big eye on lol.
    • DLD24
      Fished Big Sandy from 8-2 today and got 10 eyes (no keepers) keeper crappie and perch.... Marked tons of fish, but it was tough to get them to go, Lindy rig with a half crawler was the best by far. I tried leeches,jigging rap, jig n plastic. Points and reefs were the spots, later in the day a lot of fish were off the edges of the reefs... Just one day this year I'd like a happy medium weather wise, either I'm in 4ft rollers or 90 degrees with zero wind haha.
    • Garmandu
      According to Al Linder you can do it all with them...on his video that I watched a while back he was in deeper water throwing into 15 feet and working it back to the boat.  I have not tried it yet but will have to sometime this year.  Sand or gravel bottom would be the best.
    • ANYFISH2
      Just started playing with these this week as a friend has been have goos luck all summer with them on the Cass lake chain. I have not any success yet but not real sure on the best way to use them with my set this week.  My friend searches pods of fish out with electronics then spot locks and vertical jigs. I have no electronics or spot lock so I have been control drifting and jigging.   My questions...   Is there a depth they work better in, shallow vs. deeper?   Better vertically jigged vs trolled vs casted and jigged?   prime colors? of course my be lake dependent.   typically, aggressive jigging vs subtle jigging?   Thanks for tips
    • Perchy
      Yes, insured. I will ask the adjuster, thanks.
    • Captain Acorn
      Thanks cliff and lb I have actually had better luck with the puppet minnows from northland but I have mainly jigged them vertically definently is a fun way to fish 
    • LBerquist
      I've been trolling at about .5mph while using a jigging rap. This way one guy can still drag a lindy. I keep the front hook intact but my boat has contributed about half a dozen to the lake so far this summer. Im still working on getting the hang of it. If I know I'm in a rough area I will attempt to keep the jig from hitting bottom which still seems to be effective. I did pick up a couple off brands that don't have a front hook that I want to try. This is just what I have been toying around with, I'm definitely not an expert at it.