• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be heading up to Lake Miltona May 29-June 1. Traditionally what is a good live bait for this time of year - Leeches, Minnows or crawlers? In July, Leeches are the best bet.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Watch the weather forecast...often times leeches and crawlers work great in early spring after some rain. The water temps on Miltona have been steadily rising, and should be in the 60's by that weekend. Shiners or fatheads would be my first choice...jigging on the breaklines.

good luck!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thank Ghotierman. I have been in your store several times and for the life of me cannot remember is you carry Shiners, fatheads and the like. Do you? Either way, I am sure I will stop in at the end of the month.

Scott

Scott, I too will be coming up to fish Miltona that same weekend, with my brother in law and father in law. My wife's brother was going to come, but he weenied out 'cuz he knew he wouldn't catch anything compared to the rest of us. Maybe we'll see you out there. You'll recognize us by all the fish we're catching (and releasing).

Yeah, maybe. He's got a new boat, and thinks he's kinda tough now. I'm pretty sure I'd catch way more fish than him. But my wife's sister's husband, who's going with us, is by far the best fisherman in the family.

I suppose the fact that he is the best fisherman is probably because he takes all of his advice from is wife's brother. This who thinks he is the best fisherman in the that particular family sounds like a lawyer - probably a practices a lot of corporate law.

Scott

no, really it's me, the computer geek.
On a more serious note, have you seen some of the other postings for Miltona and the other Alex area lakes? Lots of optimism going into this weekend. Also, re the walleye situation on Miltona, there's some folks who have studied it a lot more than we ever have, who seem to think that the walleye population isn't necessarily down because of muskie stocking, but that the walleye have moved out of historical areas due to fishing pressure and the fisherman haven't adapted.

Probablybrian,
Good point.

Middle of summer shallow eyes???Midday?? 10 feet or less?? Can and does happen out there.

MNHusker...We've got a great variety of bait for you...lake shiners, golden shiners, light pike, northern, fatheads (great grade fatties!)...nitro worms, crawlers, leeches...

Currently sold out of the new lakemaster map for miltona....hoping to get some more in soon. (Didn't even nab one myself!) It really changes how you look at that fishery...seeing the 3 foot contours gives a new picture to the flats, points, and humps...

I should be up on Miltona later in the weekend, too...usually around the west end bay (inlaws place is 200 feet south of the west end access)

Good luck up there!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598