Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Pat McGraw

Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.

OhioVike

Is Pelican Lake close enough to Vermilion?  Prolly the best panfish around the area.  

• Like 1

monstermoose78

There tons of little fish lakes around that area. Just a quick search and you can find them.

Pelican is a drive.

• Like 1

delcecchi
On 1/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, monstermoose78 said:

There tons of little fish lakes around that area. Just a quick search and you can find them.

Pelican is a drive.

Maybe 25 miles from cook so maybe 40 from tower.   

IceHawk

Have to agree Pelican would be my choice for panfish, top notch pannie lake with some quality in it. 

• Like 1

monstermoose78

There are so many little untapped panfish lakes up there. I know pelican has some big fish but it gets much more pressure than the little lakes. It worth the time to use the dnr lake finder to see if lakes have gills and crappies in them. I spent 5 years in that area and caught plenty of big crappies and trophy sized gills. I never once went to pelican lake or elephant. I never was skunked when ice fishing for panfish up there. 

• Like 2

side_laker

Anyone have any fishing reports from pelican 

Pat McGraw

Thanks everyone.

Wanderer

Seems like it could be good for gills.  No crappies in it though.  Interesting comments about the depth being greatest by shore.  It’s fun reading up on some new lakes.

Borch

Had a fun trip on Elephant.   Not much pressure when we fished it.  Nice crappies.

Pat McGraw

Thanks all. FYI I'm located on Frazer Bay on Vermilion. Give a shout out if/when you may be on the water up there. I may give the Pike River Flowage a try tomorrow or Saturday. I'll provide a report if I go. Thanks again.

Capt. Quicksteel

If you want to get in there by snow mobile or walking over, Wolf Lake is worth a try.

Pat McGraw

Thank you.

yomammy

BASS LAKE is on the east- n/e side of Vermilion and is a short ride through the woods by snowmobile.  Went there last year and caught nothing but dinky perch ( fished the mid-south shore... deeper area).  It was a fun trip and a beautiful little lake.....  DNR info :  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=69044600

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JFitz
      By JFitz
      Hey all,
      The Lindner’s recently put up an episode of Al and Billy Rosner fishing Vermilion last October:

I thought it was a good episode and it was really cool seeing such great anglers taking on Vermilion. I know it’s a bit early to be thinking about open water but this show got me to thinking. Has anyone here on the forum successfully targeted shallow, weed-oriented walleyes?? The video proves it can be done, but it’s just not a pattern you hear much about.
      Thanks!
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone ice fishing the pike river flowage this year? Main lake or narrows upstream of Hwys 1 or 77? I may go this weekend. Thx
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Has anyone targeted whitefish on Vermilion, specifically Frazer Bay? Any tips?
    • UncleKes
      By UncleKes
      I used to fish a small lake just north of Malmo on Milla Lacs at a town called Glen.  The Lake was called Clear Lake.  I have not fished it in quite some time and wondered if anyone has any information on it.  (Ice conditions, whats biting, etc.)
      I moved to St. Cloud a few years ago but thought it might be nice to ice fish the lake this winter.  I used to catch some nice stringers of perch, crappies, and sunfish.  
      Can anyone tell me if they are still selling bait at the Gas Station/RestaurantStore at Malmo?
      Any info would be appreciated.
      Uncle Kes
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• bluewater2
      Thanks for the up dates, we were going to come up today to find a different spot to park but have to work. Weather is supposed to be good. Hope to get on the board too.
    • Cheers
      What size  holes ?
    • OhioVike
      I don't know, not getting your mail delivered to your door is a very egregious situation.  He also has a great sense of history indicating he has vision.  Letting us know he erected his sign in 2008 provides a vivid example of his powers.  He sees the future well...he gonna be pissed at somethin!  A bit of a Nostradamus.  
    • Cret Jigs
      I will be out on Blue on Saturday morning. ... see you out there 
    • Wanderer
      That’s pretty awesome! I’ve been keeping an eye out around the house but haven’t seen enough activity to coax me out in the temps we’ve been having.  We mainly have fox around the house, and only one good yote.  We had a young wolf do a lap around the house in the spring but haven’t seen him around since.  I know I couldn’t shoot him but I’d sit out just to see him if he started showing up again. Mainly turkey tracks as of late.  
    • Wanderer
      Probably two of the safest bets in the area. I haven’t fished Crooked off Bunker for several years but it always seemed to have plenty of fish. Have you ever been on the Moore lakes near 65 and 694?  Sometimes they get a lot of attention, and I’d have to think for good reason.   Twin Lakes in Robbinsdale used to be a favorite stop for us when we were young.  Did good on pannies and surprisingly well on pike. If you don’t mind traveling further west, Medicine is a pretty good lake.  Lots of memories fishing the crappie hole in front of the beach on the southwest side.
    • PRO-V
      Gulp spray seems to help also.
    • Wanderer
      I prefer ciscoes too.  I just don’t always have access to them.  They leave a better scent trail.  That’s part of the reason for a little kick of salt on the frozen suckers.  Anise could help too.
    • Hawg
      Not that I know of. First time I used one and constantly had to clear the shavings and drill kept cutting out. Drill is a 1200# fuel. 
    • PRO-V
      I always did best with frozen Cisco's suspended on a quick strike rig.
  • Share & Have Fun