Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Wanderer

The last weekend is upon us! :(  I’m still not 100% sure if I get to hunt ducks this weekend or not.  But I can tell you one thing for sure: I don’t plan on whacking any Common Mergansers if I go!  

Last weekends diver shoot produced a few so I decided to try them.  I know, I know, any experienced duck hunter knows better, right?  Well I always challenge convention when it comes to what makes “good” table fare.  Often I find it OK to consume what others deem trash and on occasion prefer the less desireables.  After all this is light beer, walleye and mallard country to most.  I like dark beer, Lakers, and divers.

But NOT Common Mergs! :sick:  Score 1 for convention!

Good luck to all who go after the birds the remainder of the season!

• Like 1

Guest Yellowstone

Interesting on the common merganser. I want to go but I'm not sure either. I was hopeful our go to lake would be open. It is but locked up tight with ice from the landing (in a sheltered bay) several hundred feet out to the more open part of the lake. Haven't seen anything on it either. Our lake is wide open and bait shop owner says he remembers terrific late season hunting on the channel full of cattails into the neighboring lake,  and I've seen birds flying by, but will have to monitor the weather. Not launching the boat if its in the 20s and gale force winds. If it was warmer and a light wind, why the heck not?

My wife is also saying no, don't go. We have a lot to do this weekend. I'm like, I would go right on our lake and likely be done and in the house by 9:30 Saturday morning. I would doubt you'll be up by then. lol.

monstermoose78

Yesterday Finn and I went hunting for ducks and I should have had 4 mallards and pair of woodies.i hit one woodie and it hit the water as Finn went to get it jumped up and flew away. Next weekend I will try again. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Hungryman76
      By Hungryman76
        I'm fairly new to goose hunting (I'm a bow hunter) and I hunt with a few guys that are equally as new.  We all live and hunt in the north east metro about an hour from Minneapolis.  Being new to the sport, our goose calling needs some work.  Does anyone know of someone that gives goose calling lessons?  The lessons don't need to be in the northeast metro, we can travel.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Hey every one,
      my old lohman wood duck finally bit the big one, so I am in the market for realistic sounding wood duck call. My old lohman would stop woodies in their tracks, but I heard the duck commander wood duck call and it sounded off. Please let me know what you use and how it work thank you.
    • Troy Smutka
      By Troy Smutka
      10/11/16 Central MN
           Decent first three weekends of the waterfowl season in central MN. Been water hunting only so far, on permanent water. Ducks are dispersed with all the temporary flood water around from all the rain. Crops are slowly coming out, will probably be behind schedule due to wet conditions. We have harvested mallards, wood ducks, BWT, GWT, shovelers, pintails, redheads, ringnecks, ruddy ducks,and Canada geese so far. Locals the first two weekends, but the cold front last week move a lot of local ducks out and a few new birds moved in out of ND and Canada. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• Neighbor_guy
      By Neighbor_guy
      Any bird reports from the South end??? 
      Just wondering if anyone is seeing anything flying or loafing. I am coming up for the weekend to do some maintenance on my parents place. Trying to decide what to haul up there. I know what I saw a month ago, but a lot can change in a short time on big water. 
      People with eyes on conditions helps. 

Thanks. 
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      With all the ducks I am seeing next weekend should be a fun time. I am going to be chasing Ducks in the morning and deer in the evening. I am jacked up for this duck season. My cousins husband said we will be doing more diver hunts this year. I am thinking I will hunt my dad's pond opening morning, because I will be deer hunting the field that afternoon. 
    • tealitup
      By tealitup
      For many years I could only afford the cheapest decoys - which worked. But, I finally upgraded my goose floaters.  Can you see the difference? 

Gnh used 6 years with paining touch ups verses avian x. 

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      It is about time to start scouting for deer.  I have been seeing lots of deer hitting bean fields. The deer have been using a trail near the pond at my dads and this is good for me seeing I can hunt on the down wind side of this trail. Is anyone starting to get the itch to sit in a stand waiting for deer to come by?
      The oats and wheat field are be harvested and the geese are starting to fly around looking for the harvested ones.
      I have been looking for ducks and have been finding a good number of wood ducks, teal, and mallards around for now. 
      I will be getting some practice time in with the crossbow, so I am ready for the first day of deer season. I should get out and shoot some trap as well with the shotgun to get ready for the goose season.
    • Bass Thumb
      I found exactly the same thing today. It was a steady 5" walking to the fishing spot. 3" of ice on the spot, if that. Cracks everywhere. Water pushing out of holes I had drilled. Not good.
    • fisherjmb
      Is the Frabill a thermal flip over? It sounds like a steal to me. I would go for it if you’re looking for a house that has more room. I have a Frabill 2 man thermal flip over and I really like it.
    • walros
      I love my frabill !!  
    • Jim Almquist
      Steve, Thanks for helping me get a deal on my Otter. I was able to pick it up at Marine General on Monday. Can't believe all of the ice stakes that came with it. Bought one of the Eskimo drill adapters to install them.  
    • eyes55117
      Just out on 1st Lake after work 5” solid clear ice out to 17’ of water 
    • Blackhawkxp
      Any new updates on the ice thickness.  Looking to get out on walk-able ice this weekend.  Seems like the darn winds blows 45 mph every day lately.
    • nofishfisherman
      Thanks for the reply, I'll check them out.
    • Reel_Magic
      I went out on Horseshoe on Sunday and where the ice remained from the first freeze it is a solid 6 in.  Where it recently froze over last week its was 3 inches at best.  Now that we have snow cover it will be hard to find that line.  I was out with the wheeler on sunday but stayed on the "old" ice that I knew was "safe".  I wouldn't use a wheeler from the access or go exploring quite yet.  Plan on heading back out Thursday and will try and give an update
    • Rancid Crabtree
      went out last night. 2.5-3" of solid clear ice. Single digits last night and still pretty cold today...wouldn't be surprised to find another inch when i head out this evening.  Forecast temps have been lowered a few degrees so we shouldnt be losing any ice through the week/weekend. Hopefully making a bit more each night. Breaking out the popup this weekend!
    • icepike 1
      So there's a guy that wants to trade his Frabill 3 man side door entry flip over ice house for my one man clam Legend thermal Ice House. Thinking I might go for it but was wondering if I should stay away from Frabill for any reason? Wondering if I could get any input and if this is a good deal or not. Thanks in advance.