Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

vjl1020

Fishing for Ducks Mille Lacs- HELP?!?

9 posts in this topic

:hello: Hi there! I am looking for tips/advice from other fisherpeople of MN. I am fishing my first tournament ever this weekend. It is the Fishing for Ducks on MilleLacs.. I am desperate for any info as I'm very green with Millelacs, I have only fished 2x this year due to new baby and work so I don't forsee myself catching anything.

The tourney is inside the Garrison Bay and I am gonna be there at 6:30/7 am to try to beat people there for the far holes. (Only advice I've gotten so far)

What type of bait do you recommend? Any secrets? If I win I'll get you a nice steak dinner ;) 

Thank you and God Bless :grin:

1 person likes this

Catch a pout

As in any contest, I also try to get outside of the crowd and like to set up over deeper water. Mostly because I think the commotion on the ice spooks fish. Above all, go out with an attitude you already have, and if it's meant be, it's meant to be. Just go fishing, and have fun. Lately Mille lacs has been pumping out some nice daytime walleyes, so keep that in mind with your presentation. Call fish in with an aggressive bait such as the smallest size Rippin' Rap, Buckshot Rattle Spoon, or Swedish Pimple with a minnow head. Have a second rod baited up with a medium sized rainbow minnow or fathead minnow, hooked under the dorsal fin with a plain red hook. Another great option is to tail hook a minnow with a small jig like a Rat Finkie under a float ready to drop down to any negative, or neutral fish. This tactic has put many fish on the ice for me. My guess is there will be far more walleye, perch, and tullies weighed then pout during the contest this year.

Congrats on the new baby, Good Luck, and God Bless you too.

1 person likes this

The winner will be someone who hangs a large minnow under a bobber and lets it sit. I can see a lot of people aggressively jigging, watching the clock, and getting blanked.

3 people like this

I fished it before with the slots a pout is the safe bet

1 person likes this

Good luck, to all who fish it. great event.

Down size. Everyone fishes with big presentations trying for first place. I have placed in the top 5 twice using a small 1/8 Oz spoon tired with spikes. Just constantly fish while everyone drinks lol. I try to stay towards the edge of the zone to stay on fresh fish. Good luck.

3 people like this

I don't think you can access the fishing area until 9:00 AM, although getting there at 6:30 AM will get you a prime parking spot.

1 person likes this

:):)

Thank you all!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Iambjm
      By Iambjm
      This tournament is geared towards family fun and is put on to raise funds for the Itasca Chapter of Let's Go Fishing With Seniors.

Tourney cover sheet 2016.pdf
      2016 registration.pdf
    • Iambjm
    • Monkster
      By Monkster
      This will our 5th contest at Gervais Lake in Little Canada! 100% of all money raised goes to promotion of youth activitie in the Little Canada area, including Roseville, Maplewood, Vadnais Heights and St. Paul!

Little Canada Recreation Association
      5th Annual Ice Fishing Contest
      February 6, 2016 – Lake Gervais
      Over $5000 in Prizes!
      Open to all ages – Great prizes, raffles and concessions.
      Gates open at 10:30am  Ticket Prices - $15 in advance or $20 day of event  - 1 hole per ticket – 2 hole max per person
      Limited tickets will be sold
      Booya proudly served by the Little Canada Fire Department.
      Tickets on sale now at:

Little Canada City Center
      Hardware Hank (Rice St,)
      Joe’s Sporting Goods
      Hoggsbreath
      Little Canada Bingo Hall
      Gordies
      For more information, contact: lcraicefishing@yahoo.com
      Or, visit Little Canada Recreation Association website: lcraonline.org
    • Chris Haley
      By Chris Haley
      Who's fishing the tourney this weekend?  The wind is supposed to be perfect for pitching jigs in the reeds.  I wish I was going to be in it.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Only 39 degrees in the Pike River mouth yesterday! That is usually warmer then the main lake. Cliff
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Del, We only got about 1/2 inch of snow but more snow and rain is predicted for Sunday and maybe Monday. Only 22 degrees for a high here yesterday! 39 degrees now and supposed to get to 50 degrees today. Crazy spring! Probably still frost in the ground in most areas. Cliff
    • Tripp_315
      Hello Everyone, May is just a few days away and I'd love to see how the water is warming this Spring through Summer... Can we start a thread with daily water temps? Date: East side or West side: Location: Temp:   I'll be there June 10th! Thanks, ~Tripp in ATL
    • delcecchi
      Not a fishing report, but a question....   Is the frost out of the ground yet?   Bringing some stuff up to the cabin and wondering about water lines and stuff freezing and all that.   I see the forecast is for the 50's next week..     How much snow did you all get? 
    • delcecchi
        I keep and eat fish also.  I was just reacting with a snide remark to a tone of "I want some fish to eat, got any spots" that perhaps was unintended .   If so, I apologize.    Many of the streams in SE Minnesota are populated primarily with native brown trout, and the DNR information is reasonably reliable.  There was a major kill in summer 2015 on the very popular south branch Whitewater river and I don't know how the recovery is coming along.    Cause still unknown.      Some recent info....(not about kill)   http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/outdoors/giving-nature-and-anglers-a-hand/article_dfe73b76-5cd9-520c-834f-7d4101a40b2e.html   http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/outdoors/john-weiss-trout-cooperate-for-a-fantastic-opener/article_2b106b9b-595f-5bee-8c3b-ceb761179da1.html   The DNR stocking activity is accessible from Lakefinder.   Here is the info for rainbow trout for 2016, the latest year available.  It will give you an idea of the activities.     http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showstocking.html?year=2016&county=&species=RBT