Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

gimruis

Still pheasant hunting and still seeing lots of birds!  Went out an afternoon this past week and saw about 75 in 2.5 hours.  Went home with my 3 roosters.  Everything is froze good now so its easy walking and there's fresh snow.

HoleHoppingGills

Looking for some folks in the area. Have you guys ever fished Borden lake near Garrison? I fished Maple lake last week with a lot of small crappie caught.  I let them all go, biggest was 9". Fished few lakes in that area with no luck. Even went to my little honey home with little succes Looking take the GF out tomorrow morning.  Any ideas? Seen someone posted about crappie in Pearl. 

Edited by HoleHoppingGills

monstermoose78

Yeah Borden Can be good.

monstermoose78

This cold snap should make fishing around here much safer! I can’t wait

monstermoose78

-7 woohoo making ice

Merry Christmas!!!

HoleHoppingGills

Merry Xmas everyone.  Has anyone been out last few day for Gills or Crappie? Might go brave the cold tomorrow in the house on Dog Lake West of the Metro. Never been there but love trying different lakes.  I'll post the outcome if I go!

• Like 1

monstermoose78

I have to work otherwise I would be in bed

E63D41FA-4CBB-4BE1-91D4-CE712BD7BCCA.png

• Like 1

jgrimmz

I have been out the last two days on area lakes and have nothing to show for it. No keepers and nothing close to keeping. The cold snap has kept fish from biting. I have marked them but nothing will bite and same story on reports from other fisherman on the lakes. 

Red Miller

Pressure was sky high.  I think that really turns them negative.   What kind of ice thicknesses were you seeing?

Edited by Red Miller

monstermoose78

Well this weekend will

have the moose sitting in the house. The following one I will be out fishing like a mad moose.

Red Miller

I hear ya Moose...I am not a gluten for punishment either.  Next weekend is looking way better.  I have a feeling there will be a lot of vehicle traffic on the ice by then.  Not sure if that's wise but it is really getting close for that.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

I figure next weekend there will some trucks taking a dive

Red Miller

I just checked the weather and no sigh of  warm up until next Saturday.  I am hoping 18" on most lakes by then. 

Wanderer

30.9 Hg for pressure this morning.  The -24 has slowed my enthusiasm but that pressure really makes me wonder if it’s worth going out.

Got a newbie that wants to go and doesn’t get much time to, so I might be taking one for the team today.

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

lots warmer here ar -23.  no way am I going out. maybe if i had a permanent but not the porty. :)  good luck if ya get out

birdguy

The wheel house is loaded and ready. A few more cold days and the lakes in the area should be more than ready for them. Some already are, Buzzie's got an ice road out of Flickabirds on East Rush so I may run over there later for a look-see. I'll swing around the lake to Peterson's resort on the other side and see what they have going. Getting excited.......

monstermoose78

I am hearing 10-14 inches on most lakes here is the thing there is thin spots. Please use caution when starting to drive out.

also what is the craziness with rearing ponds? I have never seen so many people fishing different ones. 

Hearing of a solid crappie bite on green lake in 10-15 feet of water. I look forward to getting out around here soon.

Tom Sawyer
2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Got a newbie that wants to go and doesn’t get much time to, so I might be taking one for the team today.

Mille lacs! 

KidMoe

I measured 10” clear solid ice last night where I was, lake off highway 22. I did see two half tons on the lake and a couple smaller cars but they weren’t more than 1000’ off shore. 

birdguy

I checked out Little and Big Horseshoe, Rabour and the west access on Rush. A couple of wheel houses (small ones) on Rabour, portables and home made ones on the Horseshoe lakes and about 6 - 7 larger wheel houses south of Cigar Island on West Rush. There were about 3 - 4 half tons on West Rush as well as several cars.

gimruis

Does insurance cover a truck that goes through the ice?  I've always wondered that.

Wanderer

Just posting here cuz I commented earlier.  Pine River hardly falls into the Cambridge are but that’s where we wound up.  A little north of town.

10-15 inches of ice in the holes I drilled.  Started with 12 at the access and stayed at 13 in the next two holes so I rolled the truck out there.  Crept along and made some noise but we ran into fish pretty quick.  Set up the house and went to work.

The first drops in any hole produced a crappie right away but they were tight lipped after that.  I walked and drilled for another 100 yards and found the pile of fish further out but on the other side of the 10 inch ice.  They weren’t cooperating real well anyway so I opted to not reset the house and work what we had.

There was a good dusk bite and I was surprised with a few nice gills in the mix.  Overall a tough bite but glad we went.  My fingertips are tender now though from crazy cold hands.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

So much variance with the ice around this winter. I know you all want to rush out with trucks and wheel houses but please check before you go out. Check often every couple feet at least. I know this takes time away from fishing but is your life worth it. Seeing the national wild turkey federation state meeting is in Alex next Saturday I will not be fishing that day.

bites i am hearing of are some fish being caught on long lake of highway 47. Green has been giving up crappies and some eyes on the deepest weed lines. Little elk has been giving up crappies and gills. Blue has crappies coming from over 20 feet of water. Back waters of the rum are giving up walleyes and pike. The rearing pond walleye bite is going strong. Here is one of the ponds it’s east of 169 on county road 9 about 3-4 miles it’s on the south side of county road 9 you can’t miss the trucks parked on the road. Have a blast catching walleyes!

Tom Sawyer
4 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

So much variance with the ice around this winter.  Check often every couple feet at least. 

Good idea....:crazy:

Wanderer

I agree it’s too risky to not check frequently.

That ice I drove on yesterday was about what I expected to find.  I used a small pay access and talked to the owner about the ice before going out.  Even knowing the lake froze evenly this year I was checking every 20-30 yards realistically before moving the truck forward. 

It’s the least amount of ice I’ve driven on in years but I wouldn’t have done it had I not done the pre-checks I did.

• Like 1