Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
ZapMan

Crossing into Canada waters with a DNR violation?

ZapMan

Does anyone know if a DNR violation (at least 5 years ago)(unzipped gun case), is a deal breaker to go on a Canada fishing trip?

bturck

Not sure about this violation, but if it were entered in the nationwide NCIC computer data it could be. It should have been a petty misdemeanor which wouldn't be a problem. A quick call to Canada customs should get you an answer

InTheNorthwoods

I don't think it will be a problem. My understanding is that they have made it easier to get into Canada within the last year or so for people who have limited incidences of criminal behavior (i.e. a single DWI, etc.).

bturck

Had a friend that tried to go to Canada fishing approx 3 weeks ago. he had a DUI almost 11 years ago and they stopped him at the border becuase he came up in the NCIC system. they would not allow him and his family in, needless to say his deposit at the Canadian fishing resort was non-refundable. I believe he could have applied to get in but it would have taken time to get it approved, not at the moment he was there, and he decided to turn around.....a different country, different rules for sure.

maxpower117

There was a law passed in canada recently that was supposed to allow one time offenders of minor offenses to enter. Not sure where that stands but I entered Canada last fall without issue.

walleyenerd

The Canada Customs number to call in Rainy River is (807) 852-3341.

DTro

Until they start being a little more realistic with their system, I would say don't even try. Nothing will change until their tourism dollar dries up.

bobbymalone

i have my doubt whether DWI offenders are really going to break their tourism bank.

DTro

I hear ya but in these circumstances the only thing that talks is money. That's all they care about and they proved it by asking us how much we intended to spend, the last time we were up there and being detained. Our number wasn't high enough so entry denied.

NoWiser

i have my doubt whether DWI offenders are really going to break their tourism bank.

Try telling that to the outfitter who had their group of 8 guys cancel their annual week-long trip because just one of them has a DUI on their record. At $1,000.00+ per person, that's a significant hit to their family's income.

bobbymalone

True. But I'm not so sure the crown cares.

I woulda made it a 7 person trip or found somebody else...

Also, not sure why people plan the canada trip with the DWI friend, when they know it's gonna be a problem... I don't have a ton of sympathy for those fools getting turned away at the border. Shoulda worked that out ahead of time... It's their country and their rules, we just have to abide by them if we want to visit. Not that complicated.

DTro

Because they leave it up to the discretion of the border agent, he or she can do whatever they want based on their particular mood that day.

If it was a simple black/white rule it would be much easier for everyone.

Alagnak

I woulda made it a 7 person trip or found somebody else...

Also, not sure why people plan the canada trip with the DWI friend, when they know it's gonna be a problem... I don't have a ton of sympathy for those fools getting turned away at the border. Shoulda worked that out ahead of time... It's their country and their rules, we just have to abide by them if we want to visit. Not that complicated.

You mean like calling two different crossings and getting a verbal ok from both that your situation is just fine and you can come across? Of course they won't give names or put in writing. Then you get there and get rejected. When it's up to the dude on duty and whether or not he got a pc of A the night before- it's kind of talk. There's nothing black/white about it.

maxpower117

Quote:

They should. They're only hurting their own businesses. 1 in 7 Minnesotans has a DUI on their record. Last I checked that's a lot.

Their law is being interpreted in a way that was never intended. 9/11 sparked this problem so they started enforcing a rule that was already on the books. And the way around it is to cough up some cash.

yakfisher

They have been enforcing it since long before 2001. I've known about it being enforced since 1997.

MWard4400

I read this thread with some interest, my back ground is 25 years, two to three trips a year into Ontario from International Falls and Baudette entry points.

I have never been asked how much I intend to spend in Canada,

I have been asked, where I live, Where I an going, where I am staying, do I have any pepper spray, do I have any weapons , how long I intend to stay, do I have any live bait, am I bringing in any gifts to leave in Canada, Tobacco products, Liquor amounts, Who's boat, who's vehicle.

The original posters question of a DNR violation has kind of been missed with DWI responses.

DWI in Canada is a Felony, I think a un zipped case would not fall in the same category.

If it was me I would be calling The MNR and asking the question about the unzipped case, If the unzipped case was never taken care of by the offender the answer is obvious.

I would also be getting names, times and dates, then I would call the entry point to tell them that I had just talked to so and so from the MNR, do they see any problem? again getting names, times and dates.

Producing information that proves you have done research makes a huge difference sometimes.

Mark

yakfisher

Pretty much all I have ever been asked when entering Canada. Whether from an officer or on the customs declaration form. I cross 1-2 times per year in a car and 20+ times by air.

I would bet that after a few phone calls the OP will have the answer. 1-800-CANPASS is the customs phone number. Try that to start. Good luck and have a great time fishing!

NoWiser

Anyone else been asked if they were carrying throwing stars with them?? That one threw me for a loop.

To the original poster, I would call ahead if you are worried, but I'm almost certain it won't be a problem. I have a DNR violation (snowmobiling on the side of a road) and have never even thought about it crossing the border. I also know someone who has a ticket for shooting from the road right-of-way who goes up there every year.

I could be wrong, but I don't think having an unzipped gun case would even be a violation in Canada, let alone a felony? If I remember correctly, last time I hunted up there, guns didn't need to be cased in the vehicle.

bobbymalone

I've never had more than few questions, usually about what my business is in Canada. Coming back to the states is where I get problems.

DTro

Hey, I agree if they have a law, then it’s a law a felon is a felon in their eyes.  So then make it black and white.  Don’t give mixed answers or actions.

“Up to the discretion of each individual agent”.   What load of carp.

And the “how much do you intend to spend on your trip” was indeed a question asked of our party

Mid-Lake Rock

Sometimes, this can work to your advantage. We have a member our group with multiple DWIs that makes the annual trip to Canada. He has not missed a trip.

We take two trucks and send him across first with another member of our party. If he does not make it we stay behind and wait for shift change of the boarder agents. Next step is to put Mr. DWI in another vehicle and try again. He's only been stopped and told to turn around once in about ten trips. That was the one time the agent decided to go inside and check passports. Returned a few hours later in another vehicle and they waived the new vehicle through with little hassle. If the agents decided to run every passport, he'd never get in. (He did hire an attorney and try to obtain permission from the Canadian government and it was rejected. He's also changed his ways and the last DWI was 12 years ago).

IMHO, the best thing I've done to make getting into Canada easier is to leave the beer and liquor home and buy it in Canada. 2c In the past, we would get stopped and searched when declaring multiple cases of beer. Now we tell them we are buying it in Nestor Falls or Kenora and have not had to pull over since starting this practice.

The last time I declared beer and liquor we spent 45 minutes picking our clothing off the asphalt and repacking the truck.

bobbymalone

Last year we came up in two cars and the other car in our group got stopped for a search. Canadian customs guy found a case of cigars and just laughed. They were Cubans. He just said smoke 'em all before you try to go home.

yakfisher

Last year we came up in two cars and the other car in our group got stopped for a search. Canadian customs guy found a case of cigars and just laughed. They were Cubans. He just said smoke 'em all before you try to go home.

Now that's funny right there!

magnum mike

I agree this is not an objective method but it is the case they have that discretion. The agent can spin you around for no reason other than he doesn't like the way you look.

Hoey

On one trip, they unloaded everything, took our truck and boat apart, found nothing, and said we were good to go. Our gear was everywhere, it took a couple of hours to reassemble, repack, and reload everything. No more trips to CA for me.