• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Downriggers questions

I recently purchased downriggers and my questions are what size line do people recommend and does anyone have good rod recommendations?

Thanks

10 pound test line...mono works best, I like a colored line so it is easier to see.

You don't need anything fancy for rods. Ugly sticks and the other super tuff rods will work just fine. I have 6 footers but I think 7 footers would work real well

Have fun.

I am with Curt on the rods, 7' and a trolling type action with bend all the way through the length of the rod. As for line I like 12# mono, XT or another abrasion resistant type. It holds up better especially when it get wrapped around cable, releases etc.

I'm sure lots of good options. I use Okuma Classic Pro 7' Trolling Rods with Okuma Magda Pro 20DX Linecounter Reels. I think I paid around $60 each online a few years ago and they've worked well with no issues. I don't think the line counter option really adds any value for downrigging. Pretty easy to let 20 - 30 ft out . I'd say steer away from rods that are too stiff. You'll want to be able to keep a good bend in it when it is hooked to the release. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going with a line counter since I fish some clear lakes that have a suspended tullibee bite and knowing dive charts would be nice. Hopefully pick up a rod this weekend!

While line counters aren't necessary for downriggers you can use the same rig for long lining so it is not a bad idea.