Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
DTro

Heads Up on the MN River

DTro

Water is rising so fast that you can literally watch it come up as you fish. Last night after the rain, major league floaters were coming down stream.

Be very careful anchoring anywhere in the main current facing downstream, these beasts sneak up on you quick.

Also if you are out there after dark have appropriate lighting to spot these 60ft widowmakers.

Lots of chances for bad things to happen on the river right now.

Good Luck

jdnm5_hg.png

harvey lee

Yes, it will be a bit scary in the low light hours but it will be so nice as one can go where they want without hitting the prop in the sand and mud.

Scott K

I wouldnt recommend traveling it for a few days. There are prop eaters about every 100 feet floating down.

EBass

I was stupid enough to be out yesterday. I hit a lot of branches but avoided the widow makers and WOW there's a forest coming down stream. Water rose a few inches in the 4 or so hours we were out.

Caught a few carp and a nice channel that broke my rod using crawlers and cut sucker minnow.

NKLCOLT1911

i think the remains of the log jam from the carver tressel is coming loose and making its way down.

Scott K

i think the remains of the log jam from the carver tressel is coming loose and making its way down.

Dont worry, there are plenty of new ones headed that way to replenish the ones that break loose.

TruthWalleyes

Well i was starting to wonder if we were going to see any floating widow makers this year with the low water and all...So it's nice to hear we're getting back to normal. Last two years i've spent nights on the river where you don't feel comfortable taking your eyes off the water in case there's a 60 footer floating your way shocked

NKLCOLT1911

Dont worry, there are plenty of new ones headed that way to replenish the ones that break loose.

BEEFEATER

Thanks for the heads up

DTro

Things were simmered down quite a bit last night. Still a defined debris line in the main current, but not nearly as many trees coming downstream. However every once in a while a massive forest of trees would come by. We happened to run into one of these forests when we were launching last night. Didn’t even make it 100 yards and the jet intake was plugged with twigs and bark. Back on the trailer for a cleanout and a short wait for the flotilla to move on.

Water temp was 60-61 and clarity was basically somewhere between cappuccino and chocolate milk. Finding “clean” water will be the ticket for eyeball opener this weekend.

TMF89

How's the current? My friend and I are going out this weekend to chase some channels/whatever will bite, and I'm just wondering what sinker size you'd recommend. Thanks!

Scott K

Well the current is fast moving.

CarpinMNRiver

I would let the river simmer down a bit if you plan on going out in a boat and aren't used to the river. Still some 50'+ logs floating around. I have been out 4 days since the rain and the current is moving pretty quick and the fishing hasn't been all that great. I have been using 3oz for channels and 5-6oz with live bait but have been trying to fish calmer water.

Gordie

River is moving pretty good 3-5 oz sinkers should work good.

Today I saw a log jam floatg down the river it strecthed almost half way acroos the river and was getting bigger as it would go by other snags and such.

Water still looks like chocolate milk

icecold

We were on river west on new Ulm yesterday lots of stuff floatin down water is like chocolate and creeks are still flowing really hard, really dirty water flowing from creeks, Gotta love all the tiling .

Scott K

River is moving pretty good 3-5 oz sinkers should work good.

Today I saw a log jam floatg down the river it strecthed almost half way acroos the river and was getting bigger as it would go by other snags and such.

Water still looks like chocolate milk

I went out and took my boat for a test drive last night, I went up stream of the bridge, there was a bunch of trees at every piling, and the paths through it were only about 20 feet wide. Well I went through the one on the east side, but my wake loosened them up and blocked it off completely, so I had to take a different path back. Then my wake loosened up the ones in that one, and they floated through, there must have been 40 trees in this cluster. This was about 815 or so. Were you down stream? I may have sent it down your way .

Catch anything?

Lowblazah

How's the current? My friend and I are going out this weekend to chase some channels/whatever will bite, and I'm just wondering what sinker size you'd recommend. Thanks!

If you are shore fishing you will need every bit of a 5oz sinker or greater...threw a cutbait line in last night and couldnt get it to sit still without moving up to a 5oz. couple taps...but no fish.

Gordie

Scott I was buy Rush River and not much action.

TMF89

Thanks for the tips guys. We're mainly just going scouting for spots for night-fishing later on, and to get the boat on the water. We're currently trying to decide between spending the day on the boat or taking a canoe to a local lake and trying for panfish.

Lowblazah

Thanks for the tips guys. We're mainly just going scouting for spots for night-fishing later on, and to get the boat on the water. We're currently trying to decide between spending the day on the boat or taking a canoe to a local lake and trying for panfish.

With the swollen river like it is...its gonna be hard to scout anything but high water (most the shore spots have dissapeared. I'd be panfishing if I had the canoe option. But then again I know some guys who prefer the water like this.

Carp-fisher

Yeah I wouldn't recommend scouting anything with the water high like it is. My boat took a couple of direct hits by big logs a few days ago. You don't want to do that.

icecold

Went on river again last night to check out some spots creeks are flowing chocolate milk and fast current , still lots of logs etc, coming down river from the west. 3-4 days things should improve.

Eric Wettschreck

We've had a lot of rain in my neck of the prairie lately. Darn near 10 inches in a week. We really needed it. Everything went from dried up to overflowing in a week.

Many of the lakes in my area feed creeks that eventually feed either the Des Moines or Minnesota river. So, in a nutshell, yous guys are getting the brunt of our overflow.

Sorry fellas.

Sounds like adding a chain saw and timber jack to the tackle box is the thing to do.

aanderud

Looked a lot better last night. Very little floating down, in fact it almost looked just like a 'normal' amount of floaters at this point. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

tj417

More like heads up for crappy walleye fishing, in my boat at least.